Wind noise

streako
streako Posts: 2,937
edited August 2010 in Road beginners
No, not a dodgy stomach, but the constant roaring of headwind into my lugholes. I guess my ears stick out a bit, but just wondering if I should get an Ipod or even earplugs to muffle the noise.
Not being able to hear traffic is a concern, but its hard anyway with the wind.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    you could stay indoors..?
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Softie's in troll mode, ignore him :)

Beanie hat? I know it's warm but it will cover your ears. I would, personally avoid ipods etc, but saying that I can hear the stamping of the ipod wearers coming up behind me!

/flee!
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    TbH Idon't hear the wind noise without my MP3 earplugs, only when I'm wearing them - must be the resistance. :wink:
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I wear a pair of these:

PMX_100_410px.jpg

They're open backed, so I can hear everything thats happening around me (e.g. cars approaching from behind) when I'm listening to music, and it does appear to cut down the wind noise.

Ironically, I overheard another cyclist this morning quietly berating me for wearing headphones while I cycled past him. :roll:
  • sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    I use an Altura ear warmer

http://www.bicyclechain.co.uk/productde ... ctid=15269

not in the hot weather so often though
    I like white bikes
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    These should stop wind noise :lol:

ear-muffs.jpg

I just put up with it. If i really don't want to listen to it, i push in my earbuds which is connected to my ipod (Noise cancelling ones) a bit further in (Make sure to loop the headphones around your helmet strap so as they stay in)

These are the earbuds i use http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-CX-3 ... 372&sr=1-1
  • Picture%201.png
    Giant Rapid 3
  • Just pedal faster to see just how loud you can get.

Seriously, wind noise often 'confuses' me into thinking a car is approaching from behind, but |i've got used to it now and adjust for it. Wouldn't dream of using iPod or similar or earplugs. Way too risky.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    At the end of last winter I bought a cycle hat to go under my helmet but over my ears - to help with the the cold, however, with the need to also wear glasses meant that I had one gap either side by my ears (to allow frames to go behind my ears and the amount of increased wind noise doing this (channeling all the wind into such a small gap was unbearable.

I think it's just a case of getting used to it and maybe using an excellent can of the above post's product :)