Cakestoppers exam results...

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited August 2010 in The bottom bracket
In light of the A level results coming out, when did you leave school and can you remember what you got ?

I left school in 1987 at 16 with

O levels in,

English B
History C
Geography C
Arithmetic C
Art A
Metalwork B

Highers (Scotland)
Art and English, both B grades.

Went straight into the Army. :shock:

Comments

• Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    Left School in 1990

GCSE Grades

English:- C
    English Lit:- C
    Maths:- B
    Geography:- C
    History:- C
    Physics:- C
    P.E.:- C
    Design and Communication:- C
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    A2 grades;;
    Physics A
    Maths B
    Chemistry B

Wish I had put some real work in to them :cry:
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Left in '92, dumb as a post.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    GCSE's in 89

Bs in Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Geography, History, English Language, English Lit.
    Cs in RE and French

Sums me up, Mr. Average!
  • Anonymous
    edited August 2010
    Managed to blag my A levels with ZERO revision with BBCC in 1993.

Somehow managed to repeat it in my Biology degree too in 1996....

I just had 5 years of very happy times!!

I had to be 21 to join the cops so I went to Uni just in case I didn't get in there...
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    Standard Grades (Scotland)

Maths - 1
    Computing - 1
    Accounting - 1
    P.E. - 2
    English - 2
    Modern Studies - 2
    French - 3
    Chemistry - 3

Higher Still

Maths - B
    Accounting - B
    Business - C

Left in 2000.
  • DCowling
    DCowling Posts: 769
    Bunneh wrote:

I took that exam in CSE class of '86' then went on to take city in guilds in- thick as two short planks followed by a Btec diploma in thicker than a dockers sandwich
  • 1footedninja
    1footedninja Posts: 269
    edited August 2010
    Partly school of hard knocks , partly school of the GB edukayshun indoctrinational system.

learning is for life , so I'm told - isn't that just another way of saying , go do something semi-constructive whilst their isn't a job for you to have & when you do get that qualification your possibly gonna be in the same situation you was before but hey! at least you have a qualification! -great isn't it! - and here's the kicker once you get those qualifications and do go for a job we can then turn around and say your over qualified....

oh! I also have a BA Honours degree in Music:

IMG_0021.jpg
    'since the flaming telly's been taken away, we don't even know if the Queen of Englands gone off with the dustman'.
    Lizzie Birdsworth, Episode 64, Prisoner Cell Block H.
  • left school in 1996 with 10 GCSE's 3 x A, 6 x B , 1 x C

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    O' Levels '85 6 Maths, English Lang and Lit, Geography, Physics and RE
    A Levels Maths and Computer Science 91

A few others since then
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    i left school in 1939 went straight in the army
    going downhill slowly
  • Anonymous
    bexley5200 wrote:
    i left school in 1939 went straight in the army

Wow, nice one!
  • Left school in 1977.

As I recall my results were C.S.E.

English language grade 1
    English literature grade 1
    Maths grade 2
    Physics grade 2
    Biology grade 2
    Metalwork grade 3
    Geography grade 3
    Social studies grade 3

Went on to gain an apprenticeship at Rolls Royce where I gained my city and guilds in engineering. That's about it for me, and I'll be pleased to never see another exam paper again. I honestly don't know how these accademic learned folks do it.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I found out my results (AAB) in a phone box in Normandy (I was on a cycle tour at the time - 1980). The school had phoned my house and told my folks (no such thing as data protection in those days!). My parents told me they had got a special bottle of something in to celebrate.

They drank it all themselves. :(

I had a Stella on my own in the nearest bar. 8)

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    I can't remember the grades, but O levels in English language & iterature, maths, physics, chemistry, biology,, geography & photography. Abject failure in German, didn't show up for RE exam

did Geography, Biology and Photography at A level - passed photogrpahy, took the mick with the other 2 because I'd got my place at Poly guaranteed already.

it all seemed so important at the time but hasn't really served much use other than getting me moved to Manchester for a year of drinking myself stupid at the taxpayers expense (aka studying Photography at the polytechnic).
  • Anonymous
    Unfortunately I went on to do 4 more far more daunting exams than my A levels / degree with work. Worth it now they are done and passed!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    edited August 2010
    A levels 2006:

Maths: A
    History: A
    Economics: A
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Left school in 1987. 4 A-levels; Maths, Physics, Biology -- all grade C. General Studies grade B. But we all know Gen Stud doesn't count.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I left school in 1976. Among other things I'd accumulated 3 O-levels in maths; syllabus A, syllabus B, and a further 'allowed o-level' when I failed the A-level. Failed A-level chemistry too.

I did scrape a D in biology which together with a B in general studies (wt :shock: ) got me on to a biology degree course.

Pulled my socks up after the A-level debacle.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Unfortunately I went on to do 4 more far more daunting exams than my A levels / degree with work. Worth it now they are done and passed!

likewise. I've studied for the equivalent of 2 and a half of my sisters degrees since getting a job and had near 10 years of annual exams and courses to get up my own little ladder.
  • Is all of this dating of O and A levels meant to imply that standards have changed?

NB. Passed most of mine a long time ago, longer than i care to consider in comfort!
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • rick_chasey
    Is all of this dating of O and A levels meant to imply that standards have changed?

NB. Passed most of mine a long time ago, longer than i care to consider in comfort!

I'm very close to somone who's been setting exams for a long time, and she's adamant that teaching is getting better and better every year, rather than the exams getting easier.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
  • Is all of this dating of O and A levels meant to imply that standards have changed?

I'm very close to somone who's been setting exams for a long time, and she's adamant that teaching is getting better and better every year, rather than the exams getting easier.

You know, I'd like to think so too, my daughter has just done better than i did, so proud, (where is that vomiting emoticon?)
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • rick_chasey
    Maybe I should qualify:

teachers are getting better and better at getting their pupils to achive good grades at A level...
  • Maybe I should qualify:

teachers are getting better and better at getting their pupils to achive good grades at A level...

Fair comment, but if you subscribe to the, "get your ticket" system we seem to live in.
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • rick_chasey
    As far as I am concerned, A levels are not a pure measure of intellect, but a measure of one's ability to complete a given task: i.e. exams and coursework.

You're graded on your ability to do so.

Different A levels are different tasks (maths, writing, etc etc).

Ultimately, that's a more useful skill - being able to complete a task you're set.

After all, that's what most work is about.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    DCowling wrote:
    Bunneh wrote:

I took that exam in CSE class of '86' then went on to take city in guilds in- thick as two short planks followed by a Btec diploma in thicker than a dockers sandwich

were we in the same class :?: :)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    GCSEs 1988: 9 As & 3 Bs (technically it's 10 GCSE's, an O Level and a AO level - I did O level maths two years early)

A-Level 1990: 3 As & 1 B (the B was only because I was ill)

S-Level 1990: 1 Grade 2 (merit). (S-levels were really only for people trying to get into Oxbridge, which I failed to do)

Unfortunately, finding schoolwork really easy left me which absolutely no work ethic, which isn't helpful at all.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    I think I was the last year of O'Levels - 1987 (English A, Maths A, Geography A, French B, Computer Studies B, English Lit C, Biology C, German C, Something else I can't remember C)

AO Levels x 2 (can't remember what)

A Levels 1989 (French B, Economics & Politics B, Maths D, General Studies C)