Commuting - silly question

Roscobob
Roscobob Posts: 344
edited August 2010 in Road beginners
Morning all :D

I start commuting to work on my shiny new C2W bike on Monday. It's a 32 mile round trip and I was wondering if it is realistic to expect to do this every day without my legs falling off. I'm relatively new to cycling and whilst I can easily cover this distance I'm wondering if doing it every day will be different.

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Morning :)

You've made a lot of posts for someone new to cycling!

Some good suggestions here

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... =#16408231
  • Roscobob
    Morning :)

You've made a lot of posts for someone new to cycling!

Some good suggestions here

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... =#16408231

Mostly in cake stop :lol:

Cheers for the link!
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Who knows, try it, see what happens?.

Personally, I'd say probably no, especially if you are new to cycling, depends on your job, but my commute is 34 miles round trip, and I can only muster 3-4 days out of 5.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Probably best to build up to doing it every day. Maybe have a crack at doing it every day for a week and see how you feel. If you can rest at the weekend then you might be okay, but if you like to go out for a long ride then it'll probably be too much.

Might be a good idea to give yourself a bit of extra time some days and ride easy - doing that can be as good as a day off.
    More problems but still living....
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    My commute is also 32 mile round trip I cycle in 4 days out of the 5, with the 1 day to take clean clothing to work to put in my locker, saves me taking anything with me on the bike.

Keep racing myself too, can make it into work (16 mi) in 45 minutes, and ride back in 48 mins (Slightly more uphill on the way back)

I normally leave the house about 1hr20 before starting work, so i've got loads of time at work to get changed/cool down.
  • Brommers76
    Brommers76 Posts: 234
    My commute is around 35-40miles round trip depending on route. Whilst it is certainly possible to do it every day I would end up feeling pretty tired. Plus it may impact on my motivation to do a bigger ride at the weekend.

I drive in with the bike in the back and then ride home. I do ride most days but only once or twice a week both ways.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    None of us really know how you cope with exercise. Listen to your body is the best advice I can give.
  • louthepoo
    louthepoo Posts: 223
    my route is only 16 mile round trip but i only ride in tuesday to friday. I drive in monday with my clothes for the week and food. I get in an hour before i start work so i can have a shower and cool down. Pretty much the same as Anto164
    Riding a Merida FLX Carbon Team D Ultralite Nano from Mike at Ace Ultra Cycles, Wednesfield, Wolverhampton 01902 725444
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Mine is 40 miles round trip. I normally do this every day, in the car today though kids kept me up all night!

I bought my bike in dec 08 and by June I binned my train pass as I wasn't using it.

I'd say it would be doable depending on hills, start off steady and build up.

Welcome to the club!

You'll be (un)welcome over in commuting :wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Roscobob
    Thanks for all the responses!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    20 miles each way is mine, but I can't be ar$ed to do it every day tbh. Having at least one day a week in the car to take clothes etc in is a good plan, as is having an incentive - sign yourself up to the Silly Commuting Stats league (link in sig below) and see how you compare. And remember it's meant to be fun, not a daily torture.

:)
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I used to commute ( I work from home now :( ) Mine was only about 20 miles a day but, even with that, there were some days when it just didn't feel good at all. I was given the sound advice that this was a message from the body to cut it some slack for a day or two. I always felt better if I paid heed to these messages.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    What's your route, Rosco?
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Plenty Fifers over here on the Roadie side.... :roll: I'm new to the light side.
  • themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    Stoo61 wrote:
    Plenty Fifers over here on the Roadie side.... :roll: I'm new to the light side.

Indeed, about time for a forum ride methinks!
  • Roscobob
    themightyw wrote:
    What's your route, Rosco?

I've not reccied it yet but I believe the best route in to Edinburgh for a roadie is over the bridge up the B800 (prev A8000) and turning once you get to Bedlam Paintball and taking the back roads in to Barnton.

There's also the cycle path so I'll probably try both and see what I prefer.
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    themightyw wrote:
    Stoo61 wrote:

Indeed, about time for a forum ride methinks!

Well I've been on one ride, went too far, done both Bridges from my house....far too much for a MTB'er. :lol: Loved the roadie experience though...minus our SH*TE roads.