cleeve hill

northernneil
northernneil Posts: 1,549
edited August 2010 in The bottom bracket
working in cheltenham for a couple days so threw the old mountain bike in the boot....

.... t'were nowt but a pimple !!!!

nice views though .....

Comments

• freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    What is this, a super hard Mt Everest level climb to the locals?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,452
    Short but steep is my memory of it when the ToB went up it about 15 years or so back.
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    was described to me by a local as a 'beast',

he'd die if he visited yorkshire !

probably more due to the shock we dont marry our sisters

:lol:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/152923 its here
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    Wow, northerners are really tough, as a southerner I can't even begin to comprehend what a real hill must be like!
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    working in cheltenham for a couple days so threw the old mountain bike in the boot....

.... t'were nowt but a pimple !!!!

nice views though .....

Yep, nothing more than a pimple !! My brother and I used to ride from Pershore, over Bredon Hill to Cleeve Hill........... that was back in '86 when a Pink Raliegh Mustang (nothing but the best mild steel tubing !!) was the thing to have !!!!

Next time you're down there, head over towards the other end of Cheltenham, towards the Air Balloon pub, the hills are a little bigger over that way (not much, but at least there are solme nice technical climbs and descents !!)

Matt
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Pross
    1.4 miles at an average of just under 6% - my memory is playing up, medium length drag rather than short and steep as I remembered it then :?
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    It all depends on which side you go up. If you ride up the Bushcombe Lane side (tackled
    after less than 2 miles on the Cotswold Corker audax and was used on a sporive which
    started in/near Oxford a couple of years ago)
    you'll find it very difficult indeed.

4907401809_b312b93865_m.jpg
  • Johnny G
    Johnny G Posts: 348
    +1 for the Bushcombe Lane ascent, I think this the way up that gives Cleeve Hill its reputation. Went up it in 2008 on the Circuit of the Cotswolds and it was breathe-through-the-botty time.
  • Pross
    Which is the Bushcombe Lane side? The 6% gradient I referred to above was the steeper side when I checked it out, the other side was longer but less steep.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Bushcombe lane comes from bishops cleeve direction and ends up on the top of the road part opposite the golf club entrance....haven't tried it myself, might give it a go next time.

Cleeve hill is a great one, when I started it looked impossible to me. I love it when you get to a little bit that levels out about 2/3 of the way up and there is a house called "Hill Top" never fails to fill first timers with false hope!
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Pross wrote:
    Which is the Bushcombe Lane side? The 6% gradient I referred to above was the steeper side when I checked it out, the other side was longer but less steep.

If you go up Bushcombe Lane you'll at least one 25% sign. :shock: