Dura Ace/Ultegra (is it just me?)

StanwaySteve62
StanwaySteve62 Posts: 702
edited August 2010 in The bottom bracket
Is it just me or do these chainsets look low rent? I know they are good products but the shape etc reminds me of low end stuff
been bugging me for ages :D

Comments

• freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    The Dura-Ace chain sets are some of the best chain sets out there, best looking too.
  • I know they are 'good', just look gash to me
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    As far as I'm concerned with mechanical objects beauty is where form follows function.These chainsets follow that principle in my eyes.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    freehub wrote:
    The Dura-Ace chain sets are some of the best chain sets out there, best looking too.
    You've got the hots for Anne Widdecombe too, haven't you?
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    i too think they look horrid. in my opinion the chainset is the first thing you look at on a bike and a good looking c/set sets off the whole bike. i wish shimano would use the polished finish they used in the early 90,s. 1st gen xtr looked amazing. dura-ace 7800 looked nice too
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    edited August 2010
    The DA looks loads better than the atrocious looking SRAM Red chainset, however the Ultegra looks like a cheap knockoff.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The 7900 is the best looking chainset for years for DA .....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think the DA chainset looks great, especially in the flesh where you get to appreciate the polished shiny bits!
  • but the outer chianring looks to be made of pressed tin, the arms are fine its just that intergrated kinda look on the outer ring that gets me
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    but the outer chianring looks to be made of pressed tin, the arms are fine its just that intergrated kinda look on the outer ring that gets me

So the chainrings matching the chainset makes it look bad? I think the whole matching thing improves the look.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    heres a selection of d/ace chainsets. i really do prefer the older ones, this could just be a sign of my old age
    695.jpg
    shimano-duraace-cset-med.jpg
    shimanoduraace7800chainset.jpg
    f1f_dura_ace.jpg
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Think the 7900 looks terrible, but then I also thought the same when the 7800 came out. Currently thinking about getting a new bike, but I'll probably just get a new frame and stick with the 7800 I'm currently running. Not just because I prefer the look, but I think Dura Ace stuff is becoming a bit too expensive for me. Thought about using Ultegra instead, but think that it looks really low rent...
  • Think the 7900 looks terrible, but then I also thought the same when the 7800 came out. Currently thinking about getting a new bike, but I'll probably just get a new frame and stick with the 7800 I'm currently running. Not just because I prefer the look, but I think Dura Ace stuff is becoming a bit too expensive for me. Thought about using Ultegra instead, but think that it looks really low rent...

Sorry, didn't mean to put down people with Ultegra, I'm sure it's really good kit. Please feel free to take the pi$$ out of my triple chainset as a punishment :D