Riders in Salisbury area

Paul75
Paul75 Posts: 3
edited August 2010 in MTB rides
Hi there.

I'm looking for rides/riders in the Salisbury area. Fairly casual - anything up to 20 miles or so - preferably with a pub somewhere on the way...

If anyone rides in the area or knows any groups I could join, give me a shout.

Cheers.

Comments

• I mainly ride the area north of Salisbury on the ridge above the Wylye valley. The Great Ridge Wood and Grovely Wood areas. There are dozens of bridleways and byways criss-crossing the area. There are also miles of tracks across Cranbourne Chase to the west of Salisbury which I haven't got round to exploring yet. Several nice pubs in the villages along the Wylye valley to Warminster - which is a National Cycle Route - so watch out for Lycra! There are tracks up (and down!) from the valley to the ridge.

And don't forget Salisbury Plain which has loads of rights of way but plenty of other tracks which you can use but watch out for the firing ranges. They are clearly marked but out of bounds, obviously!

The best known club in the area is SPAMbikers http://www.spambiking.co.uk/

I usually ride alone due to the unsocial hours of my job but there are a couple of suggested routes on my website in pdf format which you're welcome to download and try. Go to my website (see below) and click on 'Mountain Biking'. On my biking page there are plenty of photos of the area and you'll see the downloads top right.

I'd be happy to show you around but I've just had a few days off and will now be working 10 days right through :cry:

Useful maps are OS Explorer 143, Warminster and Trowbridge; 130, Salisbury and Stonehenge and 118, Shaftesbury and Cranborne Chase.
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • Paul75
    Paul75 Posts: 3
    That's great - thanks.

I've ridden a few trails north of Salisbury, but haven't tried the Grovely Wood area. Thanks for the link to your website - I'll check out the routes there.

If there's any one else in the area who wouldn't mind another rider tagging along on one of their rides then let me know. I want to try and get in a few more decent rides before it's the end of the summer!
  • Im currently riding round salisbury, i come from West Grimstead, out on the A36 towards Southampton and i normally ride in and go round a few places like broken bridges/snakey hill and a few other places, haven't got much further then hudsons filed as no-one else i know is as keen as me, although the bad news is i'm going back up to London for uni in september, but it would be cool to go for a ride before then. Matt
    Cotic BFE MK II
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Hello :D

We ride from Fordingbridge every Wednesday night and you would be welcome to join us - it a regular thing, but more a bunch of friends than a formal club!

We meet at a pub ready to ride at 7pm (rain or shine, summer or winter!) and ride for about 2.5 hours and then meet back t the same pub. There's a group of roadies who also go. You can then stay for beer and / or food - we have organised that the pub does a 'special' for us for the bargain price of £6.50 when we get back at about 9.30pm, which is very good quality.

There's anything from 2 to about 10 of us MTBing each week, and we ride in the New Forest. My partner Chris guides them, and there's loads of great singltetrack, techy climbs etc. Don't be foolded into thinking it's all flat :wink: We do about 15-ish miles each week, and the pace is fairly fast although we obviously wait for everyone to catch up! I'm the only girl so also don't think it's all fire-roads and friendly chatting.....

PM me if you would like any more info but you would be more than welcome to join us :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc