chainset question

pabwal
pabwal Posts: 90
edited August 2010 in Road beginners
Hi

So i switched over to a std chainset on my Boardman which most of the time i love and suits my riding, however living in Sussex we have a few hills around and the difference in my highest gear is an issue going up some of the hills.

although i manage to get up most, it isn't kind on my knees or my thighs :)

so can you keep the lower front sprocket and switch the smaller one for the compact one i.e 53/34??? or is this going to cause issues with changing gear?

if it can be done can i just take my compact one apart and switch it over?

cheers all
Genius Chronometro TT

Comments

• pabwal
    sorry running 12/25 rear sprocket
    Genius Chronometro TT
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    If you have a 130mm bcd chainset (something like 53/39) you need to buy a 110mm bcd compact chainset to fit chainrings smaller than 38

Loads of info in this stickied at the top of this section:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12583566
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    pabwal wrote:
    Hi

So i switched over to a std chainset on my Boardman which most of the time i love and suits my riding, however living in Sussex we have a few hills around and the difference in my highest gear is an issue going up some of the hills.

although i manage to get up most, it isn't kind on my knees or my thighs :)

so can you keep the lower front sprocket and switch the smaller one for the compact one i.e 53/34??? or is this going to cause issues with changing gear?

cheers all

That would be a hell of a jump. Why not try a 12-27 on the back?
  • pabwal wrote:

Er, no. The small ring off your compact will not fit onto your standard chainset.

If it were that easy you might have done that in the first place.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Sounds like you need a compact.
    More problems but still living....
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Well, you could put a 52t ring on your compact. You won't be able to fit a smaller ring than 38t on a standard double (39t if it's a Campag one). So I reckon the 12-27 solution is a better one. Sounds like you like to push the gears a bit, so having slightly larger gaps between gears probably won't bother you.

Have fun!
  • pabwal
    thanks for the replies everyone, looks like i need to make some decisions....

i have a std and a compact so maybe the std with the 12-27 might work a little better.

thanks
    Genius Chronometro TT