Fix a UST Tyre tear?

thenorthernsoldieruk
edited August 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Having shelled out for some Maxxis High Roller 2.35 UST's yesterday I had them out 5 minutes and tore the tyre on a sharp(ish) rock. Unimpressed is not the word as it's a corner I've run over and over on my old Schwalbe Nobby Nic UST's but they kept washing out at high speed so I upgraded.

Having NEVER had a flat on UST's before I hoped the sealant would fill the tear but no luck :( The tear is about 1cm maybe slightly less right next to the outer knobs.

Has anyone ever managed to fix a UST tyre tear before? I was thinking maybe some uber sticky super glue may do the trick to part seal it then the sealant would do the rest but I'm worried they'll just flat again mid turn or worse still, miles from the car!

Any help would be much appreciated as I'm loathe to go out and spend another £35. That's a night on the piss!
Life is hard, but so am I

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    You can get Tubeless tyre repair kits
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • I've got a tyre with a very similar story under my desk at work, did a temporary external repair to get me off the trail but that burst through. I did consider taking it to my friendly car tyre guy as its the same principle as a car tyre.

Only problem you may have is that its on a shoulder and these don't normally patch well on car tyres.
  • I never thought about that actually. Might have a shufty down the local kwick-fit tomorrow. Cheers
  • JasonRwmb
    JasonRwmb Posts: 268
    You could try an inner tube repair patch (or 2) on the inside of the tyre. Rub off all the old latex first. I had a tear in a UST Nobby Nic tyre that I repaired this way and it has been fine for the past year or so.

If that method fails you can stitch up the split (with something like fishing line) and then stick a patch in the inside, although I have never tried that my self...
  • JasonRwmb wrote:
    You could try an inner tube repair patch (or 2) on the inside of the tyre. Rub off all the old latex first. I had a tear in a UST Nobby Nic tyre that I repaired this way and it has been fine for the past year or so.

If that method fails you can stitch up the split (with something like fishing line) and then stick a patch in the inside, although I have never tried that my self...

I've stitched up one before and then smothered it inside and out with drysuit repair goo! It worked and lasted a fair few months.
    Giant Reign - now sold :-(
    Rockhopper Pro - XC and commuting
    DH8 - New toy :-)
  • Well I guess all ideas of a repair are off. Having now got the wheel into water the tyre has a snakebite puncture!!!! WTF?

It can only be the angle I was cornering at. A pretty steep berm and the bike was pretty much horizontal. The rock has cut the upper sidewall of the tyre and at the same time pinched the tyre against the rim causing a snakebite.

So much for spending all that extra £££ going tubeless. Should've stuck with oldschool inner tubes.

I'm sending this back to Maxxis to see what they say. I was running pretty high preassure at the time I would've thought a snakebite would be out of the question. Won't be buying High Rollers again any time soon!
  • WOOOOOO Maxxis replaced on warranty without question. Have to credit them, fantastic customer service from Tom at Maxxis UK. New tyre within 48hrs through Leisure Lakes :)

Ridden it twice since and it's still all good!
  • Hitby
    Hitby Posts: 218
    Really good to hear about the Maxxis service. It's the sort of thing that sticks a piece of kit at the top of your list for when replacements are necessary.

Nice one.