Another clipless pedal question...

bennett_346
bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
edited August 2010 in MTB general
Probably been asked before, search feature annoys me.

My question is: Crank bros mallet pedals, they have pins one the front and rear supposedly allowing them to be used as flats. However the cleat mechanism on the pedals is slightly higher than the pins, so surely the pins wont work because when your foot is on with normal shoes it will rest on that and not the pins. Someone help!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Imag ... 4997-3.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yep sounds right.

they are there to give grip/less float when clipped in.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bennett_346
    That makes sense. Now knowing that, are there any crank bros pedals that can be effectively used as flats, maybe not superbly but for those descents where clipping in is deadly?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you think clipping in is deadly on descents, then you should really be looking at flats until you get some confidence in your riding.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    every SPD with cage that i have seen has a raised cage/clip in mechanism which reduces them to useless unless clipped in.

5:10's with good flats is sorted.

or MTFU and stay clipped in.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bennett_346
    If you think clipping in is deadly on descents, then you should really be looking at flats until you get some confidence in your riding.
    No im confident at riding, its just i dont want to limit myself for a while until im used to clipless, so being able to still ride the hard descents would always be possible.

Maybe im being impatient.
  • Anonymous
    Nah, sounds like you're either a pussy, or not an SPD rider. (cue people claiming that's the same thing :lol: )
  • bennett_346
    Nah, sounds like you're either a pussy, or not an SPD rider. (cue people claiming that's the same thing :lol: )
    Sounds like someone needs to chill out a bit
  • Anonymous
    sorry, I meant it in a humorous way. :oops:
  • bennett_346
    Its ok, i thought you were being grouchy :?
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    If you put the bigger teeth on then you can use Mallets as an approximation of flats but they'll never be as good - the bigger problem is that unless you completely reposition your foot you'll find yourself accidentally clipping in. When the mechanism has bedded in, in isn't alway obvious either, so when trying to remove your foot from the pedal you'll get a bit of a surprise as it doesn't move.

Unless your using them with normal shoes, in which case you're better off just switching pedals over to flats anyway.

Good clipless pedals, but at best a compromise if you're not clipped in