My DHC Tornado

all show no go
all show no go Posts: 542
edited August 2010 in Your road bikes
Behold the blurry snaps of my DHC Tornado. Apologies for the photo quality, taken on my phone. It's basically a Viner Gladius frameset in DH Cyclesport shop colours....
P8020004-1.jpg
P8020006_1.jpg
P8020005.jpg

Frame: DHC Full Carbon Monocoque Compact Design (Size L) by Viner.
Forks: Matching carbon forks with carbon steerer.
Bars: 3T Ergosum Pro 44cm
Stem: 3T ARX Pro 110mm
Headset: FSA Integrated
Bar Tape: Specialized Bar Phat

Front Brake Lever: Campagnolo Athena 11
Front Caliper: Miche Primato
Rear Brake Lever: Campagnolo Athena 11
Rear Caliper: Miche Primato

Shifters: As above
Cables: Campagnolo
Front Mech: Campagnolo Athena 11
Rear Mech: Campagnolo Athena 11

Seat: Selle Italia SLR XP White
Seat Post: Deda Drittissimo Carbon Zero setback
Seat Post Clamp: Miche

Cranks: Miche Primato Carbon 172.5mm
Chainring(s): Miche HT 7075 alloy 53/39
Chain: Campagnolo Athena 11
Cassette: Miche Primato 11 speed 12-25
Pedals: Look Keo
Bottom Bracket: Miche

Front Wheel: Miche Syntium AXY :
Tire: Continental GP4000 700x23

Back Wheel: Miche Syntium AXY
Tire: Continental GP4000 700x23

Accessories: Tacx Tao bottle cages x2, Cateye wireless computer
Let's close our eyes and see what happens

Comments

• leeroy72
    leeroy72 Posts: 330
    Nice bike mate... 8)
    Find your limits...and then exceed them frequently
  • leeroy72 wrote:
    Nice bike mate... 8)

Thanks very much, glad you like it.
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    I agree. Nice colour scheme!

Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Thanks Pedro :D
  • looks nice i had never seen one of these before look very asthetically pleasing
  • looks nice i had never seen one of these before look very asthetically pleasing

Thanks for the positive comments. It's a Viner frame under the paint, so it's a real Italian-made jobby. I got the bike about five months ago at a silly-cheap price. All i've changed from the original bike is the bars, stem, seatpost and tyres/tubes. It's not the lightest bike out there at around 7.5kg but it's smooth and comfortable over distance.

My only gripe is the wheels. They look quite nice in the flesh and are reasonably light but they feel a little soft and spongy under load or acceleration. I'm sure some of that is down to my weight, i'm 5'11" and 83kg on a good day. I used to have a bike which ran with Fulcrum Racing 1's so perhaps anything less feels slower and sludgier.

I've always ridden with Campag and Athena 11 doesn't disappoint. It's ergonomically sound and the gear shift is precise and direct in that clunky Campag way that you either love or hate. I'm not anti Shimano or SRAM, I just prefer Campag. It's truly bomb-proof.

The colour scheme is the shop colours of DH Cyclesport who were based in Southampton. They did have a race team that rode some tasty Colnago's in similar colours.

The store has recently closed I believe, and presumably the race team too.
  • Could this also be the same frame as the Planet X sl pro carbon?...the indents on the downtube are identical?
  • They are very similar frames. especially the rear triangle. I think the down tube is much fatter on this bike compared to the Planet X and the whole BB area is massive compared to the Pro XL.
  • the downtube on the PX is also quite fat (i have one, i can't afford the mainstream bikes!)

but i think the cable stops and all that are pretty much identical....especially the compactness of the frame.
    If your bike was a medium, you could tell if it was the same as a px if you couldn't fit a 750ml bottle on the seat tube...it's ridiculous!!!
  • the indents on the chainstays are also VERY similar to the px? or is that just the photo?!
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    the indents on the chainstays are also VERY similar to the px? or is that just the photo?!

It's not the same frame as the PX pro sl.

The same mistake can also be made when comparing the Cinelli Willin to the PX. From a distance look almost identical in shape, but close up, no, not the same.

Nice bike, by the way :D
    Mens agitat molem
  • oh...thought that i could claim i own a viner :D:D

i really should post up a picture of my bike...but there are already so many planet x's on here it's almost guaranteed that an identical one is being shown!