What can I replace a rear Maxle with?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited August 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm fed up of the ever-loosening rear maxle. It doesn't matter how much pre-tension I put on it by turning the little adjuster opposite, it always works itself loose by the end of a ride.
The whole cam seems a bad design, as the tightest spot on the QR-esque lever is at 45 degrees to the axle, meaning when it's actually closed properly, it's looser than it was when getting there.

So, what I'm curious to know is, is there some kind of 12mm Maxle compatible replacement I can get hold of, that is more secure?

Comments

• is the maxle just a 12mm bolt through or is there more to it than that?

I've never quite understood the rear maxle!

if its just a bolt through, something like the DT Swiss RWS 12mm skewer would be perfect!
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i'm sure superstar do 12mm rear axels for quite cheap
  • Anonymous
    It's not just a "normal" axle though. It's basically a 12mm diameter version of the front 20mm Maxle.
    The main difference is that the expanding part is near the lever, not on the threads.
    Like this...
    FS1018.jpg
  • ahh I getcha...

I always thought the Maxle was just a fancy name for a normal 12mm skewer with RS written on it lol.
  • Anonymous
    It's just another crap design by SRAM. The QR lever passes the tightest point, so it isn't actually held tightly in place when it's done up.
    Stupid, stupid, stupid thing.
    i actually threadlocked it in place last year, but I actually serviced the bike for a change yesterday and remembered how naff this thing is.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    IWhat can I replace a rear Maxle with?

nothing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    edited August 2010
    nicklouse wrote:

nothing.
    Thanks for the suggestion, Nick. But I've tried it with nothing, and the wheel keeps falling out.
  • nicklouse wrote:

nothing.
    Thanks, Nick. I've tried it with nothing, but the wheel keeps falling out.
    :mrgreen:
  • nicklouse
    you must have the wrong Nothing.

I picked up some Sram Black Box Red Nothing and it is amazing.

Hold wheels in place, lubes forks and even works as a skid lid.

You say you need pics?

nothing-black.JPG
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Anonymous
    Don't tell me, you can only get it if you're "in the trade" right?
    dammit.

They do sell this on IWantOneOfThose.com though
    nothing_main.jpg

You reckon that would work?
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    You could drill out the dropouts and run a standard 12mm bolted axle in it`s place.
  • Anonymous
    could you need a new lever assembly? is it behaving differently to the maxle which was on your pike
  • Anonymous
    could you need a new lever assembly? is it behaving differently to the maxle which was on your pike
    Maxles on the pikes I've ridden have needed tightening from time to time as well, but this rear one has always been the same.
    I think I'll stick with the (weak) threadlock fix, since Nick won't sell me Nothing.
  • Anonymous
    hmm, he does seem to be keeping stuff to himself these days.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Can you not just change the dropouts for QR dropouts and stick a QR skewer in there?
    I know a few people on the commencal forum have just stuck regular 12mm axles in their maxle dropouts...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    what rear hub?

Howabout swapping for a superstar 10mm qr rear axle?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    New dropouts and a thru-axle or bolt on
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    There are a couple of options, I also have a dislike for maxle and looked into this.

Superstar will not work the thread pitch is wrong.

There is one replacment axle on CRC that will slot in, but it is a lot of cash, so I decided against, then forgot the name.

just look through the spare axles on CRC and you will find.

You call also replace the drop outs on your bike to ones that can take a normal 12mm.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Anonymous
    Hang on, what is a "normal" 12mm? Is that a bolt-thru? What size are QR axles?

Can I change my dropouts to normal 12mm? I've only seen the wolfridge with Maxle, or earlier models with QR.
  • nicklouse
    ask
    ATB Sales
    +44 142 475-3566

East Sussex
    United Kingdom
    www.marin.co.uk
  • Anonymous
    But you're right there, Nick. What is the crack with axle sizes? What is normal?
  • nicklouse
    there are 2 rear Maxles. 135 and 150 wide and both 12mm dia.

then you have a variety in 135mm OLD but all basically 10mm (Qr/through/ nutted/etc)
  • Anonymous
    So, the only 12mm axle is a Maxle? Is that right?

for the record, mine is a 12mmx135mm.
  • nicklouse
    nope there are others.

i kind of missed them out. but a 12mm through axle.
  • Anonymous
    Right. Erm.
    So, if I want to keep my existing hub, which is a 12mm axle, what options are out there.

Does a 12mm thru-axle require pinch bolts on the dropouts, or could I just modify the maxle dropouts to accomodate them by removing the thread?
  • nicklouse
    ask the importers what drop outs are available.

what is the hub?

and when you have the info we can see what can be done.
    could I just modify the maxle dropouts to accomodate them by removing the thread?

nope will not work.
  • Anonymous
    Well, I was kind of wondering what drop out standards actually exist first, so I could figure out a plan of attack.

Hub is some generic cheap, no-name OEM thing at the moment.
    I WAS planning to get a 12mm Saint hub based wheel in the near-ish future. Might stick to a Hope PoII since I know they can be converted to almost anything.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Yeehaa, Apple make an iNothing, which people queue round the block for. Have you tried your local Genius Bar for assistance?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I reckon, having dismissed Apple due to reception issues with the new iNothing (people complain that they can infact hear something), you should go:

Swap to QR dropouts
    10mm Through Axle Saint hub (or hope or...)
    10mm Through axle.

Sorted. If slightly expensive.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.