Hip pain

janetthompson
janetthompson Posts: 82
edited August 2010 in Road beginners
Over the last few weeks, I've been getting pain in my hips after I've been riding (mostly on my right side). I haven't adjusted my cleat angle at all (which would seem to me like the most obvious cause of discomfort). I have been riding more often though. Could it just be my body getting used to riding further? Or something else? Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
Not lost, just exploring...

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    My only experience of hip pain was due my sacro-iliac joint i.e. mis-aligned pelvis due to a crash - a physio friend made the right diagnosis and suggest you talk to a physio too - the fact that you're getting it on one side only suggests something's misaligned.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Could be your body objecting to extra distances. What kind of distances are you doing? Are you taking in more hills, perhaps climbing whilst out of the saddle?

Possibly your cleats may have twisted around a bit since you fitted them and might need realigning. Even a small adjustment might make a world of difference. Tbh if it were cleats then you would have suffered more in your knees.

You could revert back to your original routes and distances and see if you still suffer the pain. Hard to say really.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Monty Dog
    Tight Illio-tibial band - ITB - is also a known cause of cycling hip pain
  • sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    Lower the saddle a bit?

What he said^
    I like white bikes
  • I haven't really changed my routes, I'm just getting out more often. It's probably only an extra 30-40miles a week. I shall adjust my cleats slightly, and if that has not effect, then I'll seek physio advice.

Thanks guys!
    Not lost, just exploring...
  • Monty Dog
    FWIW cleat mis-alignment typically leads to knee pain - suspect your hip pain is due to other causes. Modifying your cleat position, particularly when it hasn't been a problem can also create knee problems!
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    I have got a damaged left hip, and cycling is brilliant for it - usually. But I got sharp pain recently from relatively short rides (12 miles a day commutes) on a bike where the seat was too far back.

If the bike set up is fine and has caused no problems before, this could just be strain, or you are catching a nerve that is not actually your hip at all. If you get persistent pain, as I can, it might be osteoarthritis and might be worth seeing GP with a view to getting referred for X-rays.