RockShox Tora 302 Coil U-Turn forks

altern_8
altern_8 Posts: 1,562
edited August 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
i have a Scott Aspect FX 25 2008,i upgraded to the above shock a few months ago,after reading many reviews saying it was a good shock,im finding that its not as good as the original RockShox Dart 2 that the bike came with,as in riding,i find it seems to not let my front wheel role over stuff when going downhill,seems as tho my front wheel is being sucked under bike,if that makes any sense,and i dont have a lot of confidence with it as i seem to be getting bogged down with the tora 302,hence over handle bars a lot more.....i was wondering if its my riding style or if its the shock.....i bought it and got it fitted at local bike shop.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like poor set up.

coil or air?

how much sag? (at full travel=

too much rebound?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • altern_8
    its coil mate

about 25% sag

and tried setting rebound at diff settings every ride
  • A firmer spring might help?
  • altern_8
    evillittlegoat>i find the shock at the moment doesnt give me anything tho,hit a big drop and front wheel seems to get sucked under bike,riding little bumps and seems as tho im riding a ridged bike at front.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    WHat do you mean by sucked under?
  • altern_8
    it feels as tho when i hit sumthing,my shock takes the hit and compresses and my wheel stops and doesnt roll over said object,so it gives the feeling that my front wheel is being sucked under bike
  • bobs bikes
    bobs bikes Posts: 589
    hi stu, sounds like its not compressing fast enough for you. the rebound settings wont affect this. do you have damper settings on this fork? maybe a softer spring rate and a faster rebound may help it roll better..... or you could lose some weight and lift the front wheel over the pot holes! :lol:
  • supersonic
    I think this feeling can be had on many longer travel forks, especially smooth ones. It takes a while to adjust to the fork when hitting some large sqaure on obstacles,especially when going down a steep slope slowly. Rather than bump over it, the fork may just compress.

Try less rebound damping.
  • altern_8
    update on forks,went out during week on bike,only got about 10% sag if that,was riding over some rough stuff,i was standing on pedals watching forks and had no movement at all on them,think i need to take them back in to lbs where i had them fitted to make sure nothing wrong with forks,if nothing wrong with them,a softer spring me thinks....
  • supersonic
    But from what you have said, a softer spring could make this worse.
  • altern_8
    im open to advice mate,as i have no clue,i would of 4ought my spring was to stiff,if forks wasnt moving over stuff,softer spring would mean they move,wouldnt they????
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    altern_8 wrote:
    update on forks,went out during week on bike,only got about 10% sag if that,was riding over some rough stuff,i was standing on pedals watching forks and had no movement at all on them,
    Were the forks locked?
    If they weren't how did you achieve from 25% sag to get 10%? Fitted stiffer spring?

And in my opinion you just need to adjust your riding style.
    Switched from Dart 2 to Recon 351, and I had the similar problems that you have.
    When braking on steep parts the fork sank too much, and every time I hit some obstacle I
    would went over the handlebars. On the first week I went over the bars as much as I
    did in the past 2 years with the Dart.

All you need to do is just lean backwards a bit more that you've used to be so the
    fork can go over the obstacle instead of sinking the fork and stopping on it.
  • altern_8
    Xtreem wrote:
    Were the forks locked?
    If they weren't how did you achieve from 25% sag to get 10%? Fitted stiffer spring?

And in my opinion you just need to adjust your riding style.
    Switched from Dart 2 to Recon 351, and I had the similar problems that you have.
    When braking on steep parts the fork sank too much, and every time I hit some obstacle I
    would went over the handlebars. On the first week I went over the bars as much as I
    did in the past 2 years with the Dart.

All you need to do is just lean backwards a bit more that you've used to be so the
    fork can go over the obstacle instead of sinking the fork and stopping on it.

i was wrong when i first said i had 25% sag,it is only 10%,my mistake,and ive had my backside over back of seat more,trying to compensate going downhill.

went into lbs today where i had fork fitted,told them whats wrong with fork,they said sounds like either a)fork needs a service or b)sumthing is broken inside,as im only using about 100mm travel going downhill over rough stuff...its still under warranty,so they are going to send fork back to rockshox.

thanks for all the help tho :)
  • Biggus86
    Biggus86 Posts: 385
    It definatly needs sending away after yesterdays performance. You should have nagged you bro more to sort the wheels out on his Kona haha