My New Specilized Allez Sport

David100
David100 Posts: 24
edited August 2010 in Your road bikes
Pick up my Allez Sport before and took it for a quick ride. What a massive difference it is compared to my old mountain bike. So light and easy to get up hills, just need to get used to the handle bars now.

I'm doing the Manchester 100 in September so need to get some practice in for that.

Here are some pictures anyway:

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

Any comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
David

Comments

• Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Nice looking bike that. The Allez is now a far more aesthetically pleasing frame than the 2006 munter I had. :lol:

Unless you plan to commute on it you might want to lose the wheel reflectors and the "pie dish" (that thing that on the rear wheel stopping the chain from mincing your spokes).

Might as well get some miles out of the supplied tyres but if you plan to use the bike through autumn, winter and early spring you might want to upgrade the tyres. The Spesh Mondos my Allez came with were OK (I knew no better at the time|) during September but once the flints and general road crud started to accumulate in October and early November I was frequently getting punctures.

Continental's Gatorskins come recommended, I love Vittoria's Open-Paves (though they're expensive) and also rate Michelin Krylion Carbons.
  • invincible
    invincible Posts: 154
    very nice bike, i just got one of these 2 weeks ago....

are you from manchester???
  • David100
    I'm from Warrington, very near to Manchester. How did you guess?
  • nice, but sure that post bag is big enough????????????
  • ps go clipless as soon as poss
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    early days, but fitting and getting used to clipless pedals should be high on the agenda, makes a lot of difference, also leave that holdall attached to the seat post in the shed,
    Nice looking bike all the same :)
  • brin wrote:
    , also leave that holdall attached to the seat post in the shed,
    :)
    Think he could leave the shed in the bag
  • David100
    Yeah the bag is pretty big but means I don't have to carry a bag because I can fit my spare tubes and repair kit in it. I might look at getting a smaller one. It was just one I used to have on my mountain bike.

What's re big deal with going clip-less? I've got straps on the pedals that keep my feet in place. Maybe I've got a lot to learn here.
  • invincible
    David100 wrote:

just with you doing the manchester 100 thats all....

good choice on bottle cages aswell, much better than the rib version....
  • David100
    invincible wrote:
    David100 wrote:

just with you doing the manchester 100 thats all....

good choice on bottle cages aswell, much better than the rib version....

Was up your way the other week cycling up winter hill and back.
  • invincible
    nice trek up there, how'd the allez hold up to it???
  • David100
    Well this was 2 weeks ago so I did it on my old mountain bike, was a really decent ride. When you get so far up the hill you get to a cattle grid which says no cyclists so we stopped there and turned back.
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    ps go clipless as soon as poss

... unless you are doing a lot of urban commuting, in which case your peddles will do 90% of the same, and cheaper and more practical.

For me in London, clipless is pointless.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    bice wrote:
    ps go clipless as soon as poss

... unless you are doing a lot of urban commuting, in which case your peddles will do 90% of the same, and cheaper and more practical.

For me in London, clipless is pointless.

That's debatable....
  • KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    Nice bike, I got myself the Allez Elite (which has the same frame) a few weeks ago for exactly the same reason. Found some 105 SPD pedals on Chain Reaction going cheap and they really do help- I can recommend Spesh's BG shoes as well. All in all it's a really good starter road bike I think- and so much easier to go quickly than on my MTB.

Lagavulin cheers for the tyre advice- I thought they might prove a bit flimsy!