North East England - Chopwell Woods 'Roller Coaster' route

nemtbroutes
nemtbroutes Posts: 32
edited August 2010 in Routes
Hello. I've mapped out an MTB route at Chopwell Woods. Chopwell is about 10 miles North West of Newcastle Upon Tyne city centre. I've dubbed the route the 'Roller Coaster'. It's quite short at just over 7 miles but packs in over 900ft of climbing and has two great downhill runs. Check the route out here: http://www.nemountainbikeroutes.co.uk/m ... aster.html

Comments

• Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Chopwell, eh? God. I've run loadsa Mtb Leaders courses there, and loved every minute.

Courses were for the Simonside Youth Projects.

Trails we used were not too technical, but great all the same.

Just wish I could understand the Geordie "lingo."

Reet canny, pet...or something like that!
  • nemtbroutes
    Splottboy,

Sounds like you know a lot of routes. Have you any favourites in the North East you'd like to share?

Stu.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Chopwell was a good un, as is Hamsterely Forest.

I was always able to ride with a group, and they had to plan a Route for their "Assessment" ride on the Sunday, so each route was different every time!
    Got to see loads of the area, and always love to go back.
    ( Did some courses for the well known "Naughty Childrens" prison too.
    Now, that was a bit scary, with all the security stuff.)

We used to stay around the Southsheilds - prob wrong spelling - area.

Also did the C2C /Coast to Coast twice so know the Waskerley Way as well, though the last but one time it was freezing and the track had about 2 ins water on it!
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    Think i'll give that route a blast soon like. is it difficult? Technical? I'm pretty new and aint been on a bike in yeas :)
  • nemtbroutes
    jonbonjovial,

Technically the route is not too bad, where it does get tricky (jumps, etc) all can be avoided. The real killer is the climbing, there is a lot of it so depending on your fitness it might be challenging. Give to a go.

Stu.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Cool, will get on to it. Guaranteed to get lost. For some reason my browser doesn't like the web page. Takes ages to scrolll when it's loading it?!?! Pictures look good though, looks a tidy little route like.

Fitness aint great but should be ok. :)

Cheers
  • nemtbroutes
    jonbonjovial,

I've changed the Chopwell page. Could you tell me if it loads faster now?

Hope you enjory the ride.

Stu.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Aye mate, million times better now. Nice one.

I'll let you know how I get on mate.
  • nemtbroutes
    added new videos to the route guide. Check them out here: http://www.nemountainbikeroutes.co.uk/m ... aster.html
  • Oxygen Thief
    Don't know whether it's jsut the work PCs or what but that page is mega slow again now. Internet connection at work is 30+ MB!!!!
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    You missed some good sections and it looks like you might have used some footpaths but still looks like a decent route. Some of the downhill stuff has recently been destroyed by the FC. I would have to add on some other sections though to make it better.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Verta
    Verta Posts: 24
    I moved to Chopwell in December and regularly do the downhill run, I haven't been out in about a month but I plan on getting out this coming week so I'll give your route a try!
    oodboo wrote:
    You missed some good sections and it looks like you might have used some footpaths but still looks like a decent route. Some of the downhill stuff has recently been destroyed by the FC. I would have to add on some other sections though to make it better.

Have the FC destroyed more than they had done at the beginning of July when I was last there? The only bit they had flattened was the section in the middle of the powerline trail (1st half of it) - I hope they haven't ruined more :(
  • John Moore
    John Moore Posts: 580
    I've not been to Chopwell for a couple of years (work related trips)

It's holding up nicely isn't it?

Hope to be back there soon.