Same pannier recommendation for commuting and touring?

reptile smile
reptile smile Posts: 36
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
Hi all,

Have a Kona Bolt MTB which I have road tyres on for commuting.

I've always in the past used a rucksack and in preparation for a cycle tour I'm doing with my girlfriend, have borrowed her panniers, and have been blown away by how much I've come to rely on them.

I want to buy some of my own, but I'm wondering whether I can kill two birds with one stone and get the same panniers for commuting that I will also use for touring with. I quite like Ortlieb Back Rollers - but are they big enough for touring with? Conversely, if I got something huge for touring with, would they be unnecessarily large for commuting?

Any thoughts gratefully received...
You don't really care what bike I have, do you..? Oh, go on, then... ;) Current build cost = £73.37

Comments

• Don't get huge touring panniers- you'll only want to fill them

ortlieb have been fab for me on touring- I tend to do without when commuting.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    I met a couple of blokes using Ortleibs when touring and they swore by them. I used a set from the Edinburgh Cycle Cooperative for my tour, and use it now and again for a commute when I need to move a fair bit of stuff. My ones are here;

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 1&f%5Fbct=

but they have other options which may be worth looking at.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    For my LEJOG trip I had two Ortlieb Back Rollers 40L, a 30L Ortlieb Rack Bag, and an Ortlieb Handlebar Bag. About 4 days in I left the Rack Bag with family, and lightened the load in the Back Rollers. It was far too much, and there was plenty I didn't need. So I'd echo what Ex-Pat Scot says, you'll just be tempted to fill anything you buy. Think about what you need to carry with you first and then buy storage accordingly.

The lighter you are, the more you'll enjoy the tour :) Where are you off to btw?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Back Roller Classic's are big enough for touring.

I have done week long camping tours with these plus a bar bag, with tent on the top of the rear rack.

They will be ideal for commuting, very durable.
  • Thanks for all the input folks - seems like my first instinct was so far off...
    notsoblue wrote:
    Where are you off to btw?

Italy - flying into Rimini, train to Pesaro, then cycling to Urbino, Gubbio, Assisi, Preci, Montemonaco, and then San Benedetto del Tronto for the train back to Rimini. My first effort ever at this kind of thing (only started commuting to work 3 months ago) so am really fired up!
    You don't really care what bike I have, do you..? Oh, go on, then... ;) Current build cost = £73.37
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Thanks for all the input folks - seems like my first instinct was so far off...
    notsoblue wrote:
    Where are you off to btw?

Italy - flying into Rimini, train to Pesaro, then cycling to Urbino, Gubbio, Assisi, Preci, Montemonaco, and then San Benedetto del Tronto for the train back to Rimini. My first effort ever at this kind of thing (only started commuting to work 3 months ago) so am really fired up!

Massively jealous. Did my first tour this summer - you're gonna love it!