Headset buying advice please

Harland71
Harland71 Posts: 59
edited August 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, i'm having to replace the headset on my '07 stumpy expert. with a budget of up to £50 could anybody recommend something proven to be decent quality? i see on superstar components they are offering a blingy ceramic one for £40 - is that sort of thing worth a punt or has anybody spotted any bargains out there?
Cheers,
H.
Stressed is just desserts spelt backwards… mmmm… Desserts.
Homer J Simpson

Comments

• *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    TBH whilst superstar stuff is very cheap, im yet to be dissapointed.

Fantastic products and service. Id say it was worth the punt.
  • Cheers - i've had brake pads from them which have been as good as branded ones and much cheaper so its looking likely i'll go that route again.
    Cheers,
    H.
    Stressed is just desserts spelt backwards… mmmm… Desserts.
    Homer J Simpson
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Has the headset actually worn out or can you just replace the bearings?

If the headset is actually worn out then. Have a look for FSA Orbit MX. The white and black colours can be found heavily reduced for ~£20 while the fancy anodized colours are around ~£45.

I don't really notice the difference between headsets as long as they are setup correctly. But the more expensive ones can have better sealing and require less servicing.

I have no experience with Superstar headsets, but highly recommend their brake pads and I have one of their wheel sets only had a bit but no problems yet and build well.
  • Rindle
    Rindle Posts: 219
    I have one of these. I have real problems spending more than is necesary on a headset.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HSFSOXL2/fs ... -2-headset