First 10 mile time trial

kingderham
kingderham Posts: 206
edited August 2010 in Amateur race
Did my first 10 mile time trial last night in 29minutes and 9 seconds, i enjoyed it and will give it another go,but i missed the cameraderie of a group ride. Is it wrong to wear a ipod and listen to music while time trialing?
A mouthfull of mud, i guess ive crashed

Giant xtc se
Trek 1.2compact

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    kingderham wrote:
    Did my first 10 mile time trial last night in 29minutes and 9 seconds, i enjoyed it and will give it another go,but i missed the cameraderie of a group ride. Is it wrong to wear a ipod and listen to music while time trialing?

I did my first a couple of days ago, and while I agree about the lack of cameraderie in the group, personally, I found the cameraderie before and after made up for it.

As for the whole ipod thing, can of worms, I'd say aslong as you want to, and its safe to do so (i.e. your awareness isn't impaired, why not.

I did mine in 28:16, I am aiming for 27:59 next week :lol:
  • kingderham
    kingderham Posts: 206
    Spoke to a few people before the start and afterwards, if i wear my ipod i only have it on a low volume so i can still hear cars.There are times when i dont have my ipod in and the wind is so load that i cant hear a thing.
    A mouthfull of mud, i guess ive crashed

Giant xtc se
    Trek 1.2compact
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Well wearing any headphone/earplug is not allowed under CTT rules, that goes for club events as well. If you do wear one, just beware you might get into trouble. Plus I personally don't think it is very safe to have earplugs in when riding a bike full stop, I would rather hear what is going on around me.

If you are going hard enough, then listening to music will be the last thing you will be thinking of.
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    I agree.

For a 10 mile time trial you need to have full concentration for maximum effort, besides possible safety concerns, so why not leave it off next time and see how much you can knock off your recent time without the ipod in your ear?
    Don't think Hutch was wearing an ipod when he bettered the national 10 record the other week and I've never seen any serious testers wearing one. :wink:
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Sorry, I mis-read, I thought it said "training", where as it says "trialing".

Yeah, big no-no in events IMO.