Tempted by Afan tomorrow alone - any advice?

MountainPete
MountainPete Posts: 418
edited August 2010 in MTB rides
I'm tempted to drive to Afan forest tomorrow to ride the Skyline trail. I've been to Afan a couple of times with other riders, but never alone; anyone advise me against going on my own, or is it a common practice?

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i ride alone quite a lot but the skyline is loooonggg :lol:

i'd say do it, just make sure you tell people where you're going and what time you're expected back etc etc and make sure you have your phone :D
  • Stu T
    Stu T Posts: 127
    ride on my own all the time there no problem. Just be aware half of skyline seems to be shut according to the Afan website though

http://mbwales.com/en/content/cms/News/ ... What_.aspx
    I wear Lycra because I like the way it feels
  • Aah thanks! Haven't done the skyline before but am looking for a long day. I guess Heartburn, Handy Andy and Grand Canyon can't be a huge amount of the route, unless anyone can tell me better?
  • Stu T
    Stu T Posts: 127
    Aah thanks! Haven't done the skyline before but am looking for a long day. I guess Heartburn, Handy Andy and Grand Canyon can't be a huge amount of the route, unless anyone can tell me better?

Not huge amounts but some of the best parts
    I wear Lycra because I like the way it feels
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I rode alone for years before coming across this site. Now I rarely have too, for good or bad :D

Anyway, just consider when on your own that if you have a smash you are literally on your own. Unless some kind soul happens to come past.

Take a charged phone, emergency contact details you can carry on yourself, and maybe keep the number of the local ranger or whatever. Plus a map and GPS is handy so you can guide the ambulance to wherever you are in the depths of whatever forest. Having been involved with that a couple of times now for others, it can be tricky trying to describe where you are in relation to a tree that looks like every other tree.

All that said, I'm sure you'll find people here willing to join you. There's a South Wales thread somewhere here too.
  • + 1 Very sound advice,
    I work for the emergency services, acurate directions are critical. If ride on your own you have to have a rough idea of your location at all times, so if you need help you can direct it to your location.
  • Thanks all! I went today instead and it was awesome. Took a GPS and phone so I decided I should be ok, especially if I took care.

Managed the Skyline in 3hrs 30min which I was quite happy with! It didn't feel like an outrageous pace, but I didn't really stop so I think that helped out :-)