clubs

cyclopsbiker
cyclopsbiker Posts: 516
edited August 2010 in Road beginners
new to road cycling and will want to join a club at some point soonish....currently live Greenwich, SE London.....any recommendations?

Comments

• ian_s
    ian_s Posts: 183
    if no answers are forthcoming, try asking in a local bike shop.
  • odichu
    odichu Posts: 116
    British cycling has a club finder.

http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/clubfinder
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Dulwich are a pretty good club but they meet at Crystal Palace which is a bit of a trek from where you are.

Cycling Weekly usually have a good list in their mag, just have a browse in Smiths and take a note of the details :D
  • thanks for the responses....will try the website and if no joy will visit the LBS
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i recommend dulwich paragon - it's not that far to ride to crystal palace.

they go out on saturday mornings at 9am, it's a nice ride, firendly bunch, and they wait for everyone.

they also have quicker rides if you graduate up through the ranks.
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i recommend dulwich paragon - it's not that far to ride to crystal palace.

they go out on saturday mornings at 9am, it's a nice ride, firendly bunch, and they wait for everyone.

they also have quicker rides if you graduate up through the ranks.
  • bilirubin
    bilirubin Posts: 225
    I can't remember what section it was in but a guy on here was asking the same question a week or two ago and someone pointed him in the direction of a club that meets in Dartford, I know it's into Kent but not a million miles from Greenwich.

It seems this club is fairly new and at the moment is not showing up on google etc or the club finder.

Do a search of the forum and I am sure you will uncover it if you want to take a look.
  • I used to live in the Charlton area and I used to ride with Gemini BC based out in Dartford Heath (up the A1 over Shooters Hill and you're there in twenty minutes once you hit Welling). They're a very active club involved in all forms of cycling and are seen as one of the more sociable cycling clubs in that area. Recommended......

http://gemini-bc.co.uk/default.aspx
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I used to live in the Charlton area and I used to ride with Gemini BC based out in Dartford Heath (up the A1 over Shooters Hill and you're there in twenty minutes once you hit Welling). They're a very active club involved in all forms of cycling and are seen as one of the more sociable cycling clubs in that area. Recommended......

http://gemini-bc.co.uk/default.aspx

Bloody hell you are some rider to cycle that journey in 20 minutes!

I'd second Gemini and I think Woolwich CC have a run from Bexley village.
  • thanks for all the info....gonna get some miles done on my own getting used to the bike before joining somewhere....want to make sure I can do the club run sort of distances before I embarrass myself!!!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Dulwich Paragon or GS Avanti
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    Nobody prepared to recommend London Dynamo? :oops:
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    I would recommend somewhere like Dulwich Paragon for someone based in Greenwich. Plenty of Dynamos travel some distance to get to the start of the rides, but Dulwich is a good club (from what I've seen) and better located for the OP.
    Of course, being a Dynamo I would recommend them if the OP wants to add a little more distance to the start of the club runs!

Could also try Sydenham Wheelers which is reasonably local to you - I get the impression that they are a good outfit if you're interested in TTs too...
  • Headhuunter
    Lillywhite wrote:

Yeah but Dynamo are largely based around Richmond and it's just a bit of a ballache to have to traverse the whole of south London to get to the start of their rides when there are perfectly good clubs in the south east...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,540
    Lillywhite wrote:

Yeah but Dynamo are largely based around Richmond and it's just a bit of a ballache to have to traverse the whole of south London to get to the start of their rides when there are perfectly good clubs in the south east...

Such as...
  • Headhuunter
    Lillywhite wrote:

Such as...

See my earlier post - Dulwich Paragon and GS Avanti.... DP meets in Crystal Palace, not far from Greenwich and GS Avanti near Chelsfield station in Kent - OK you have to get a train, but it's only a few stops about 10 mins down the line from Hither Green or Lewisham. No need to trek across to Richmond Park