Tire:Schwalbe Stelvio 23mm

Back Wheel:Harry Rowland built Mavic Open Pro 32h
Rim:Mavic Open Pro
Spokes:Sapim
Hub:Novatec
Tube:Continental
Tire:Continental Grand Prix 24mm

Weight: 17.5Ilbs ish...!

Had this bike for a year and a half now and have grown to like it a lot. I say 'grown' as it took quite a bit of getting used to - being much lighter than my previous bike.

The real reason for posting on here was not so much to show my bike, but to mention my new wheels. Due to a spoke failure last week (at slow speed thankfully) made me think about the wisdom of me (95kg's ish) riding on 24/20hole rims with alu nipples... In the end I contacted Harry Rowland after doing a bit of research and he has sorted me out with a pair of Mavic Open Pro 32h rims with Sapim spokes and Novatec hubs.

The new wheels ride very, very well and give the bike a much more 'planted' feel whilst not giving any perceptible weight penalty. Having the extra spoke count along with brass nipples (that sounds wrong) makes me feel a bit more confident.

If you're looking for some new wheels and fancy the hand built route then I can recommend Harry Rowland. After dropping him an email - he phoned me to chat through what I would need and turnaround was excellent. Ordered Monday - got the wheels Thursday - though I imagine it depends on what rims you're after and if in stock.

The bike itself fits me really well - am 6'1" and is comfy and light. Goes up hills very nicely. It can seem a bit twitchy at first but you get used to it and then it's a non issue.

Anyway hope this might help some of you looking at either a PX or some new wheels!
Mens agitat molem

Comments

• rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    nice wheels and tyres, they should be tough. how does harry rate the hubs? which model are they.
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    edited August 2010
    Hubs are by Novatec. Apparently the exact same as Ambrosio Zenith - I understand the Ambrosio ones are rebranded Novatecs. Harry seems to rate them.

Whatever, they are smooth and the wheels go round :lol:
    Mens agitat molem
  • 147ant
    147ant Posts: 19
    nice to hear wot you have to say tim about your px, i have being thinking for a while now about buying a new bike just getting back into it again after many years of.each time i click on there web page they are bringing something new out,do i go for the sl pro with sram red for 1,099.00 or pay that bit extra and go for the nanolight sram red at 1,500.00.never rearly had a nice bike,used to ride a 653 brian rouke in the 80s with chrome forks so it would be some step up.think i will take a drive to there show room and decide.
  • bazbadger
    147ant wrote:
    nice to hear wot you have to say tim about your px, i have being thinking for a while now about buying a new bike just getting back into it again after many years of.each time i click on there web page they are bringing something new out,do i go for the sl pro with sram red for 1,099.00 or pay that bit extra and go for the nanolight sram red at 1,500.00.never rearly had a nice bike,used to ride a 653 brian rouke in the 80s with chrome forks so it would be some step up.think i will take a drive to there show room and decide.

Depends on how much you want to spend I suppose! The special SRAM Red £1099 deal is good if you want to get some high end kit on your bike. The new frames look great too.

Whichever you choose you will notice a massive difference to your Rouke.

The guys are PX are really helpful (if sometimes a little chaotic!) going to their new showroom sounds like a good plan. You'll have to post a pic on here if you get one! :D
    Mens agitat molem
  • 147ant
    147ant Posts: 19
    went there today and ordered the new nanolight in white with sram red, was not to happy with sales girl trying to charge me for changeing the chainring sizes.she said the fee was 70 pound then asked other work colleague who said it was free. good job i got there early not enough sales staff to sort out customers.plus security door lock a pain in the rear but show room was nice when you could get in . look forward to trying out new bike when it arrives.
  • bazbadger
    Just got my best time (for me!) in tonights evening 10, so pleased with the wheels.
    Mens agitat molem