Frame painting / powder coating in London

rustncogs
rustncogs Posts: 84
edited August 2010 in The workshop
Hi

Can anyone recommend somewhere in London that will paint or powder-coat a frame?
I originally sprayed this one with rattle cans. It came out OK, but it really didn't last and looks very tatty these days, lot's of chips and bits flaked off from locks and bike stands and people trying to steal it...

Thanks!
FCN 7

"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate, Watson"

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,745
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    Armourtex in Hackney did a great job for me. I paid £75 for a ruby red with metallic coat.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    lardboy wrote:
    Armourtex in Hackney did a great job for me. I paid £75 for a ruby red with metallic coat.
    the only correct answer. ive seen some amazing paint jobs that they've done
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    lardboy wrote:

Did you go there and look through paint samples or other work before you settled on a colour?

I'm concerned about picking a colour based on a computer monitor view of online samples
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,745
    I'd definitely visit - your screen will look different from mine and different again from spaspaddy's. You'll only get a proper idea if you view a sample or have a RAL chart (for powder coating)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Thanks for the tip, I've just dropped Armourtex an email.
    Hope fully they can do my magnesium frame (I just remembered it was made of that... doh!).
    FCN 7

• Ah... They won't touch magnesium, so that's powder coating out.

Anybody know somewhere good for painting?

Thanks
    FCN 7

• Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    try a place that does powdercoating, but not specifically for bikes - i asked for a quote from a place a mate of mine got his motorbike frame done and got this back:
    Dear James

Thank you for your enquiry. The price will be £35.00 + Vat which includes
    shot blasting.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards
    Clarissa Thurston Hobbs - Finance Director
    For and on behalf of Colour Coatings (South East) Limited
    T: 01825 724424 F: 07092 213384

HALF THE PRICE...
  • I can't be the only person thinking that Clarissa Thurston-Hobbs isn't half a posh name for someone who works at a paint sprayers. :lol:
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    davmaggs wrote:
    lardboy wrote:

Did you go there and look through paint samples or other work before you settled on a colour?

I'm concerned about picking a colour based on a computer monitor view of online samples

They have sample books for every type of coating they do, then there's different layers you can put on top. They will have a few frames knocking about toe show the quailty of their work as well.

This thread at the sweary place has good information: http://www.lfgss.com/thread17439.html
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    I can't be the only person thinking that Clarissa Thurston-Hobbs isn't half a posh name for someone who works at a paint sprayers. :lol:

You're not. :D