lycra pants and underpants

brucebanner
brucebanner Posts: 256
edited August 2010 in Road beginners
Hi all, somewhat odd question; are you meant to wear underpants under lycra pants?

Comments

• peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    no. never, not for any reason at all. totally no.

unless you want your gooch rubbed raw.
  • SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    I don't think its complusory to wear 'pants' with any type of clothing its down to the individual. I personally don't as there is less chance of chaffing but no doubt some people do.
  • peejay78
    i've not yet met them.

it's like wearing pants under speedos. not that i wear speedos, but if i did (say if i was going to one of those french municipal swimming pools where budgie-smugglers are de-rigeur) then i wouldn't wear some briefs underneath.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    No, no, no.

Unless you are a fan of chafing and discomfort.
  • sparkman
    sparkman Posts: 74
    Its not just about chaffing, some dont like a vpl (The Tarts) :lol:
    So its commando, cus the other option (A thong) just doesnt bear thinking about.
    Watch for sensible reasons for either way, not just the fashion statement crew. :wink:
  • peejay78
    sensible reason:

wearing of pants under lycra will turn your lower scrotal region into raw steak.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    most obvious reason:

padded lycra cycling shorts are designed to be worn next to the skin.
  • Bruce, as you've gathered, the answer is an unequivocal no.

Aside from chafing, the reason lycra is worn is for the stretch factor and breathability. Underpants won't give you this. Especially if worn underneath, as with 2 layers there's obviously less breathability.

The other reason is that lycra wicks sweat away from your skin. For this process to be effective the lycra needs direct contact with your skin.

So underpants + lycra = a whole new world of ball sweat, megachafing (new word) and godawful restrictive tightness. I imagine.

Try it. You might like it..!! ;-)
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Only reason you wear undies under lycra shorts - To see that they fit before buying, or that they do fit after getting them through the post.

Once you know they fit, never EVER wear undercrackers under them!

Cycling shorts tent to be anti bacterial, easy drying, and move with your skin, undies soak in sweat, harbour bacteria through a LOOOONG ride and tend not to move and cause chafing. GET THOSE UNDIES OFF!
  • sparkman
    sparkman Posts: 74
    So there it is,
    Go Commando. I wouldn't have it any other way, its just not right to have a vpl under your bike shorts, and the chaffing and hygene comments are indeed very valid.. :wink:
  • anto164
    and trust me, if it's hot, unzip your jersey all the way, and put a slight arc in your back for 10 seconds, a gap appears between your bibs and your stomach, instant cooling wang wind!
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Not sure the expression "instant cooling wang wind" has ever made an appearance on the BBC weather bulletin, but its the best expression I've heard to describe the phenomenon. :lol:
  • squigs
    squigs Posts: 149
    pdstsp wrote:
    Not sure the expression "instant cooling wang wind" has ever made an appearance on the BBC weather bulletin, but its the best expression I've heard to describe the phenomenon. :lol:

ICWW, I like it, must be a patent there?
    Sirrus Comp 2010 (commuting)
    Roubaix Pro SL Sram red (Weekend sportives)
    Certini Campagnolo Mirage (Turbo trainer)
  • anto164 wrote:
    instant cooling wang wind!

+1

Quality!
  • louthepoo
    louthepoo Posts: 223
    it was a question i had myself when i started and only after riding with keks on and rubbing my balls raw did i 'go commando'. And i'm gonna have to try the ICWW manoeuvre to help the boys out on a long ride :D
    Riding a Merida FLX Carbon Team D Ultralite Nano from Mike at Ace Ultra Cycles, Wednesfield, Wolverhampton 01902 725444
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Nothing should come between a man and his chamois.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Pedant alert:

Chafing has only one f. If you type chaffing I invariably misread it as chaffinch, which conjours up a mental image similar to the French municipal swimming pool / budgie smuggling reference above.

Thanks for your cooperation
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Nothing better than knowing that if you split your lycra you're going to have your fruit and veg popping out!

Commando's awesome, it's kinda erotic too and with loads of women on horses stuff a sock down the front :P
  • All I will say is I did it once on a 60 mile ride. Never again.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Bunneh wrote:
    Nothing better than knowing that if you split your lycra you're going to have your fruit and veg popping out!

Commando's awesome, it's kinda erotic too and with loads of women on horses stuff a sock down the front :P

Or a mini cocktail sausage ;-)
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    anto164 wrote:
    Only reason you wear undies under lycra shorts - To see that they fit before buying, or that they do fit after getting them through the post.

OOP'S, never thought of that :shock:
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Did it once because the cheapo crap bib shorts I bought off e-bay were clearly transparent when worn and my other sets were in the wash and I didn't want to miss out on a ride. I decided it was better to throw away the cheapo shorts, buy some more and never ever consider wearing anything underneath again.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • d70ar9
    d70ar9 Posts: 139
    I completed LEJOG wearing underpants under my Lycra all the way and had not one bit of chaffing or soreness but then i was on a Brooks saddle...Maybe i was lucky or maybe it isn't as bad as many of you think. Also my lycra shorts were of the £10 cheap variety (perfect job)
    'All that is solid melts into air' Marx and Engels
  • I wear mine on the outside!!! Wife says I look "super" :lol:
    2 Wheels or not 2 wheels..That is not in question.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Proper under-shorts worn under lycra works fine. You might want to do this would be if you were doing a very long ride carrying minimal stuff where a couple of spare pairs of under-shorts are less bulky than spare bib shorts. I did this on PBP (1200km in 72 hours) and when I did LEJOG last year (1500km in 4 and 1/2 days). No chaffing whatsoever.

But you still get a VPL which isn't a good look....
    More problems but still living....
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    I have always worn pants under lycra shorts. Cant stand the feeling of my loose bits being loose. Never been a problem for me. Do whatever is comfy for you.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    thiscocks wrote:
    I have always worn pants under lycra shorts. Cant stand the feeling of my loose bits being loose. Never been a problem for me. Do whatever is comfy for you.

theres always one http://1000awesomethings.files.wordpres ... undies.jpg
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • anto164
    thiscocks wrote:

Your nadgers aren't loose under lyrca! Well, not under mine :P They're supposed to be skintight!
  • streako
    streako Posts: 2,937
    The only time I have worn a pair of undies is under MTB-style shorts. I have a pair with a silly in built liner which has a pi55 flap and can expose the little general. I had some HH wicking pants to wear under.
    Proper Lycra shorts are far better though, with no undies.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Bunneh wrote:

I had this following a racing crash - had a trip in the ambulance with a female paramedic, fortunately I was in too much pain to be embarassed (and it was a warm day) and I didn't have to wait in the waiting room for treatment! Despite that I'd never consider riding with anything under my shorts, I've done some long hill walks in the past that have left me looking like a Japanese flag due to my pants so the thought of cycling any distance like it is beyond imagination!