Protection

alexj2233
alexj2233 Posts: 381
edited August 2010 in MTB general
How much do you wear and when?

Normally, i just wear gloves and a helmet, just wondering whether other people reckon its worth wearing knee pads, shin pads, elbow ... etc.

Comments

• Helmet and gloves allways, 661 earth knee pads when doing new stuff and on jumps, drops etc.
  • Helmet, glasses, and gloves. But I only ride XC and red trails.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    XC rides - helmet and gloves.

DH/FR - Full face helmet, gloves and sometimes knee/shins.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Helmet and gloves for everything (Red trails and a bit of dirt jumping)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Au naturel for me. Starkers. So, I guess you could say I have a helmet.
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Au naturel for me. Starkers. So, I guess you could say I have a helmet.

:lol:

Helmet, gloves and glasses for me as standard wherever im riding. Thinking of investing in a pair of knee pads though - 661 Kyle Straits i expect.
  • LeighM
    LeighM Posts: 156
    Helmet, gloves and glasses everytime, 661 knee pads at trail centres, peaks etc... A bit of a girl, maybe but I don't bounce like I used to!
    2014 Trek Madone 4.7 | 2009 Trek Fuel EX7 | Planet X Pro Carbon Track Elite
    TrainerRoad
    Strava
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Helmet, gloves and knee pads all the time.

Arm pads sometimes for XC/AM

Full pressure suit for DH, very occasionally knee/shin pads instead of just knees
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    whilst we're on the subject

Anyway, back on planet earth, this season I'm sporting a playful mix of helmet, gloves and kneepads for any off road riding. I always use the kneepads since I'm uber-paranoid about casing my knee again. Took nearly a year, and several months of physio to sort it last time.
    Vogue baby! :lol:
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    always wear a condom! :lol:

helmet, gloves and knee/shins

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Gloves,helmet,glasses and occasionally 661 kyle strait knee pads depending on the ride.

Recently started wearing my glasses religiously following a friend getting a branch in the eyeball

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    For the riding I mostly FR and street sessioning it is FF lid, glasses. knee, shin. elbow pads and core saver, primarily becaue I am an awful rider who crashes far too often :roll: Every time I try to wear less I crash, though to be fair I would be in a pretty bad shape if it were not for the protection. Almost got a face full of thistles and am recovering from severe contusion to my calf from a pedal strike that would have ripped open my leg if it weren't for the shin wraps.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • had a pedal strike as a kid and it ruptued a major blood vessel in my calf .

I seem to be the opposite when I wear pads I never crash, the day I dont wear them I am guaranteed to fall off.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'm a bit fragile so always helmet, gloves and kneepads. I love the Kyle Strait pads, they're no bother to wear, I've worn them for 50 mile days and for XC racing and never felt any reason not to really, but I'm sure they've saved me any number of annoying knocks (the dreaded kneecap meets shifter, not damaging, just painful!)

I wear elbow pads and padded shorts a lot too... But the elbow pads do heat me up more than knee pads, arms are good radiators. The armoured shorts, well, actually I'd wear them all the time, but the D30 material is a pain to wash so I tend to only wear them for sillier riding just because of that. They're no bother at all to ride in.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Helmet and gloves...But after watching a bloke wrap himself round a tree today im considering more.

Poor bloke, bet his ribs are killing :?
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Always a helmet, sometimes gloves, depending on how wimpy i'm feeling, or if i remember to put them on. Occasionally knee/shin pads depending on how i plan on riding/where i'm riding
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    Minimum of helmet, gloves, glasses and knee/shin pads

If its like to get a bit, "heated" then I'll add elbow pads in the equation.

I've only been out without pads on twice, and both times I've come off and was lucky to not brake a bone on the last one so I wont be venturing out without at least knee/shin pads again...its not worth it
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I seem to be the opposite when I wear pads I never crash,the day I dont wear them I am guaranteed to fall off.

If I don't wear pads I am certain to crash no matter how easy the route I take :shock: Wearing pads does seem to reduce this lot's when you consider some of the dumb things I get up to :roll:
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Nothing makes you more likely to break your kneecap than having a set of knee pads sat on a shelf while you ride I reckon, it's like calling the gods a bunch of poofters.

Not that I've got anything against the gods you understand.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Traditional bike helmet for most trails. I do have a FF that I will wear if it's raining or riding a very technical trail I don't know too well.
    DHB Sunglasses
    Gloves with armoured knuckles
    661 Veggies elbow pads
    661 KS knee pads
    Padded shorts

That does it for me.
  • Helmet, gloves, knee pads.. need to get some elbow.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Helmet, I can't be arsed trying to find gloves wide enough for my sausage fingers.

Though after reading this I am starting to think I should get some :shock:
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    helmet, sunglasses and gloves but I am thinking about knee pads as I am so clumsy
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Miggins
    Miggins Posts: 433
    Helmet, gloves and glasses always. Knee pads (661 Kyle Straits) and elbow pads (661 d3o Evo) for rocky stuff.
    After uphill there's downhill
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Helmet and gloves and glasses always.
    Shin pads if i'm running flats.
    Knee pads for more "all mountain" stuff
    Full face if hitting new/bigger stuff

Seriously need some elbow pads (I have veggies but they're so uncomfortable) and contemplating a back protector as well for hard riding.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    For general riding -
    Helmet, glasses and gloves always! knee pads if terrain is particularly gnarly and/or unfamiliar.

For DH - full face, knee/elbow pads, goggles and gloves

The consequences are just too high to consider not being protected.
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!