wheely true?

5xcr
5xcr Posts: 195
edited August 2010 in MTB general
Hi all,

So i needed to get my back wheel trued and called my LBS, they tell me i have to wait til the middle of september(well it is a halfords , they should employ mechanics so they service everyday).

So I called evans spitalfields(on the way for girlfriends work) they will do it this thursday. now thats what i call service. why do people still use halfords?.

C2C next week with a straight wheel, thanks for getting me to call evans, halfords.

5xcr :lol:
12hr days 5 days a week riding to work and back and still the energy to ride 2 other days

Comments

• stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    :shock: :shock: £18.95 for 1 wheel true..ker ching.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    5xcr wrote:
    Hi all,

So i needed to get my back wheel trued and called my LBS, they tell me i have to wait til the middle of september(well it is a halfords , they should employ mechanics so they service everyday).

So I called evans spitalfields(on the way for girlfriends work) they will do it this thursday. now thats what i call service. why do people still use halfords?.

C2C next week with a straight wheel, thanks for getting me to call evans, halfords.

5xcr :lol:

may be your Halfords is that good that they are actually fully booked until then. Mechanics are not Wheel builders.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Once you find a good wheel builder, do anything you can to stay on his or her good side. They are invaluable.
  • 5xcr
    nicklouse said:-

may be your Halfords is that good that they are actually fully booked until then. Mechanics are not Wheel builders.[/quote]

everytime i pop in if only to browse they are always not fixing anything,just leaning on the counter,and mostly dont look or sound like they know anything about bikes.

5xcr :wink:
    12hr days 5 days a week riding to work and back and still the energy to ride 2 other days
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    5xcr wrote:
    everytime i pop in if only to browse they are always not fixing anything,just leaning on the counter,and mostly dont look or sound like they know anything about bikes.

The mechanics are probably in the back.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    GHill wrote:
    5xcr wrote:

The mechanics are probably in the back.

At my local Halfords, the bike area is out front. Same situation with them just dossing around.
  • 5xcr wrote:

Why would you want them to work on your bike if thats the case?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Halfords I worked at had mechanics on the shop floor and out the back.

If booked up, then they are booked up. We would often have 2 week waiting lists.
  • sm1thson
    sm1thson Posts: 47
    5xcr wrote:
    why do people still use halfords?.
    I've no idea. you rang them first maybe you could explain why?
  • 5xcr
    Hi all in answer to g.hill look at what chedabob says, thats true

mick edwards61, because its my local bike shop and they look like they could do with the work.

supersonic, a 2 week wait, they told me the middle of september, slightly more than a two week wait.

sm1thson, because as i already said they are my local bike store(so you should support your local lbs ?). and they look like they have nothing to do.

and i need it trued as i am doing c2c next wednesday for braveheart charity.

thanks for replys guys.

5xcr :?
  • 5xcr

Sorry I'm a bit confused here, your original post was essentially a complaint about the wait it would take Halfords to true your wheel, you then go on to praise another shop, namely Evans in Spitalfields.

You then go on further to ask the question "Why do people still use Halfords?", this being a forum other members then posted basically asking you why you use Halfords in the first place, if you clearly aren't impressed by them, and then you defend them?

I think it's great that you want to support your LBS, whoever it maybe, but surely if you don't think you get the service you deserve from them, as you pointed out in your first post by praising the service another shop is giving you, how can you still use them, then slag them off, and them defend again?
  • sm1thson
    sm1thson Posts: 47
    ha no worries, I think my point came across a bit harsh anyway. My point was meant to read that people use Halfords for the same reason (I expected) you did. Mostly that they are local and convenient. Personally I dont see using halfords as supporting local shops, yes they are local but its the local independents that need supporting rather than the big national companies. (such as its 'better' to use a local butcher than getting your meat from the local tesco). anyway, looks like youve learnt the lesson happy riding.