Cycling Etiquette

jonbob78
jonbob78 Posts: 70
edited August 2010 in Road beginners
Having only started 'proper cycling' this year with most of my miles coming from my 18 miles each way commute, I'm going out on a 60 miler next weekend with a friend and some of his cycling buddies.

I'm not concerned about the distance or pace etc but are there any ground rules I should be aware of other than taking your turn at the front?

If we're going up a killer hill do you go at a steady speed to keep the whole group together or would you go at your own pace and wait at the top?

Thanks

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    there are no rules on any of that fella - how you ride is entirely up to you as a group.....
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I find I can only climb at my own pace and I don't think I am alone in this. When I go out with others we always tend to split on the climbs and get back together at the top. I guess this is OK for UK climbs but might not work on a 10km alpine climb but I will worry about if/when I ever to get to them.

Other than that, I take turns at the front but I have learned to only do this when I know where we are going :wink:

If you search for "etiquette", there are a few nicities to observe when group riding, such as pointing out potholes or pointing out a veer to the right but I would suggest you don't worry too much. It is pretty easy to pick up and that way you will sense what the group you are in do (or don't).

The important thing is to concentrate on keeping your cycling predictable. Taking a hand off to point out a pothole is of no use to anyone if you then wobble off track in the middle of a tight group.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    60 miles is very different to 18 IME, don't forget enough nourishment and also innertubes.
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    I find I can only climb at my own pace and ... When I go out with others we always tend to split on the climbs and get back together at the top.

When I have a ride with friends of mixed abilities we stay together on climbs, it is just nicer that way. Although it is bad form to try and engage the guy wheezing like a set of punctured bagpipes in conversation.

Plus at the top of the hill the slow guy can recover in your slipstream, rather than have to continue to flog themselves to catch up while you soft pedal.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    jonbob78 wrote:
    Having only started 'proper cycling' this year with most of my miles coming from my 18 miles each way commute, I'm going out on a 60 miler next weekend with a friend and some of his cycling buddies.

I'm not concerned about the distance or pace etc but are there any ground rules I should be aware of other than taking your turn at the front?

If we're going up a killer hill do you go at a steady speed to keep the whole group together or would you go at your own pace and wait at the top?

Thanks

Hammer it on the climbs, but stay seated and pretend its not hurting, keep chatting. Just keep turning the screw a bit more if the rider next to you looks too comfortable :wink:

Seriously, dont get too worked up about it, its just a ride on a bike. You will be riding two abreast I guess, so when the two blokes in front of you shift off the front, you will be at the front. Stay at the front as long as you like.
  • ian_s
    ian_s Posts: 183
    The important thing is to concentrate on keeping your cycling predictable. Taking a hand off to point out a pothole is of no use to anyone if you then wobble off track in the middle of a tight group.

+1 I think that is most important. There will be people much closer behind and to your side, so no unexpected braking, swinging to the side etc
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    riding with mates - Just make it fun, no doubt you'll want to just cruise and chat (That's what normally happens when i'm out with my mates) There will no doubt be a little bit of racing here and there (We normally do silly races like sitting down sprinting for 100m, or a tuck race down a hill without pedalling), but it's all gravy!

But if they're anything like my mates, we try to stay together, and help eachother when someone is struggling.

Just be predictable, dont swerve all over the place, and just keep it at a nice easy pace..