The humble, cotton cycling cap

stratcat
stratcat Posts: 160
edited August 2010 in The bottom bracket
I quite fancy a cycling cap, I think they look kind of 'old school' cool to me, my wife thinks its a big no-no. I think she's afraid I'll ride without a helmet, but I always wear a helmet, too many years riding motorbikes and mountainbikes makes it feel weird without a lid on.

Anyway what do you think about the humble cycling cap?

Comments

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I give all these types of questions the same answer, if you like it get one and wear it.
    On a quick coffee stop last Sunday, a chap of about 60/65 was sitting under some trees proudly wearing a Rapha one. Good on him and he looked 8)
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Some old codgers look awesome, I want to be one of them when I'm that age!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I wear one under my helmet... in summer it acts as a barrier to wasps and bees and is also easier to wash than my helmet (fnar fnar) when it gets covered in salty sweat. And in the colder months it helps to keep my head warm (unless it's really cold when I wear a skullcap).

http://www.gearandtraining.com/gearntra ... ack_lg.jpg
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Think they look very cool, but not on me. Think I look a bit of a berk wearing one. Can't really see much point in wearing one under a helmet, if it's cold I'd wear a Buff instead.

Oh and I can never get caps that fit as I have a fat head! :D
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    wouldn't be seen dead wearing one.

As said before me, i'd wear a buff if it's chilly.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I love them, but............. I've got a massive head (7 7/8 hat size) and the standard L/XL sizes that you can get generally aren't big enough.

Anyone know where I can get a decent sized cap ? (Love the Rapha caps, but again, sized L/XL)
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    good barrier against wasps and flies, hate them going into the vents and landing on me, plus the skip bit is good if it rains
    MattC59 wrote:
    I love them, but............. I've got a massive head (7 7/8 hat size) and the standard L/XL sizes that you can get generally aren't big enough.

Anyone know where I can get a decent sized cap ? (Love the Rapha caps, but again, sized L/XL)

the knog caps are pretty big
  • Bunneh
    *hangs head in shame* I wear a baseball cap...
  • Bunneh wrote:

And I thought I looked like a berk :D
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    One for the older chaps in my opinion. I often see the CTC going past in the opposite direction and it is like a who's who of the old cycling caps.

Absolutely nothing wrong with them, but not for me (I look like a right tit in most hats/helmets/caps).
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Having said that I love Rapha stuff, I think that this is a little excessive !!

http://www.rapha.cc/maharam-cap

Still lovely though :D
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    As said, it looks good on blokes over 60 with their gear levers on the frame and toe clip pedals.
  • Bunneh
    Do not wash, do not bleach, do not wear - dry clean only. Crikey, after every ride it'll cost you a small fortune to get it cleaned...
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    o I'm under 50 so see no point in them *tick* :wink:
  • I've only anything under the helmet when it's sub-zero, so I was interested to see Ben and Omar's comments about insects and sweat - they seem to make good sense. But does wearing a cap under the helmet in summer not get too hot?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I've only anything under the helmet when it's sub-zero, so I was interested to see Ben and Omar's comments about insects and sweat - they seem to make good sense. But does wearing a cap under the helmet in summer not get too hot?

My Assos cap is cotton - I prefer to have that against my head than the man-made fibre pads in my Spesh helmet. But it's all personal taste.

I've been stung (on the neck) while out riding and I was lucky because I could flick the offending wasp out of my collar relatively quickly. If I got one stuck down a helmet vent, it'd go crackers and probably have four or five pop shots before I managed to get it out!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Bunneh wrote:
    Some old codgers look awesome, I want to be one of them when I'm that age!

Riding around here, you would use the word codger and old with some caution,you never know who it is under that cap who is riding your legs off....
  • I've only anything under the helmet when it's sub-zero, so I was interested to see Ben and Omar's comments about insects and sweat - they seem to make good sense. But does wearing a cap under the helmet in summer not get too hot?

I always wear one, when its really hot I soak my cap in cold water before I go out, keeps me nice and cool. My friends think I look like a bit of a tit though when I try to find a stream mid-ride to soak my cap in when its dried out..
  • Hibbs
    Hibbs Posts: 291
    Always wear one under the helmet when it's a bit cold and/or when it's raining.
  • stratcat
    Bunneh wrote:

Now they are a fashion disater :lol::wink::lol:
    JGSI wrote:
    Riding around here, you would use the word codger and old with some caution,you never know who it is under that cap who is riding your legs off....

There are some quick old guys around here too, must be all the fresh air and mountains
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    The peak on a cap also helps to keep a lot of rain off your eyes
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Good for night riding also for shielding your eyes from oncoming headlights, I wear one on it's own when nipping to tescos in my civvies or such.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Tend to wear mine on long alpine ascents when I take the helmet off- mainly because it seems to keep the head cooler, soaks up the sweat but keeps it close to your head and so seems to have a cooling effect. Also keeps the sweat from running into my eyes. I am one sweaty b#####d by the way :D
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Always wear one in the rain/snow to keep the water of my specs or out of my eyes when the specs are too wet.

I always wear a helmet so they go underneath. I think they look fine, and do a good job too, I'm going to get one of the maxgear winter ones soon it's got fold down flaps that cover your ears.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I've got a couple of nice Castellis and always wear one under a helmet. Peak helps with the rain and watery sun and it's a barrier to wasps, bees, flys etc.
    They also helps stop my helmet leaving silly marks on and feeling the cold as much my shaven head. :oops:
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I think an old-timer with an elegantly shaped head in a retro cycling cap is a fine and worthy sight.

Unfortunately for me, I just look like a prat in a hat. :(

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Sounds better if you say you wear a casquette.

As in oop north they wear flat casquette's and breed whippets.

I wear one under me helmet when its cold, cos I is baldy (a cap that is, not a whippet)
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • sampurnell
    sampurnell Posts: 126
    wear one when it rains, keeps a cone of (slight) visibilty on my glasses.
  • stratcat
    Sounds better if you say you wear a casquette.

As in oop north they wear flat casquette's and breed whippets.

I wear one under me helmet when its cold, cos I is baldy (a cap that is, not a whippet)

Wifey definitely wouldn't let me wear a flat 'casquette' despite living oop norf.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Those of you that say they don't suit you are doing yourselves an injustice. We need to wear them and keep this tradition alive............

0a4be81e.gif
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."