Bikes on Planes

Dav3m
Dav3m Posts: 84
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
Hi all,

In September I'm heading up to Scotland and taking the bike and I'm wondering how best to take it on the airplane.

Now I think most airlines require some sort of bike bag/box - but as I'm taking my bike up to do riding (and it'll be my primary mode of transport) then I don't want to be lugging around a big bike bag or bike box with me!

So:
1) Does anyone know a bike bag that compresses down to a small size and is not heavy
or
2) Has anyone taken their bike onboard a plane in some other form of box, e.g. what if I could get an empty cardboard box from my LBS?

Kind Regards,
David

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Is there a left luggage place in the airport you're flying to?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,777
    TGOTB wrote:

I've no direct experience of taking a bike on a plane, but have seen baggage handlers at work, and I don't think I'd risk a soft bag. TGOTB's suggestion sounds like a good one.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Dav3m
    TGOTB wrote:

Not sure - why? I'm planning on riding my bike in Scotland so don't want to leave it in left luggage :-)
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    TGOTB wrote:

Good idea! Bike in Bikebox, fly, leave Bikebox at airport :)
  • Dav3m
    Ah I understand. I'm flying to Inverness Airport which unfortuantly has no left luggage facility...
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I use a CTC bike bag

It is just a big tough plastic bag, it folds up small enough to take on tour. The theory is that if the handlers see a bike they handle it with respect, whereas a bike in a (thick fabric) bike bag or a box just gets slung about and ends up under other stuff.

It certainly worked on Bristol-Pisa, I saw the bikes standing up on their wheels on the trolley to the aircraft, and at Pisa, two handlers came to the luggage hall carrying each of our bikes and handed them to us in person. Similar care taken back in Bristol.

You have to remove pedals and turn the handlebars, and I cinched up the bag with a zip tie.
  • Dav3m
    alfablue wrote:
    I use a CTC bike bag

It is just a big tough plastic bag, it folds up small enough to take on tour. The theory is that if the handlers see a bike they handle it with respect, whereas a bike in a (thick fabric) bike bag or a box just gets slung about and ends up under other stuff.

It certainly worked on Bristol-Pisa, I saw the bikes standing up on their wheels on the trolley to the aircraft, and at Pisa, two handlers came to the luggage hall carrying each of our bikes and handed them to us in person. Similar care taken back in Bristol.

You have to remove pedals and turn the handlebars, and I cinched up the bag with a zip tie.

Fantastic! Thanks very much alfablue - that looks exactly like what I am after!
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Dav3m wrote:
    ...In September I'm heading up to Scotland and taking the bike and I'm wondering how best to take it on the airplane.

Is it too late to suggest you consider taking a train, instead?

Cheers,
    W.
  • alfablue
    It is worth noting the rules for whatever airline you use. I went on Easyjet, their rules say:
    (1) Carriage of bicycles:
    The bicycle must be packaged in a bicycle box or bag
    Only one bicycle per bicycle box or bag will be permitted
    No other items can be carried in the bicycle box (e.g. clothing)
    The handlebars must be flush with the frame
    The pedals must be flush against the frame or removed
    Passengers travelling with bicycles are strongly recommended to check-in 2 hours prior to departure in order to guarantee carriage.

Mindful of some stories of these bags being refused, I took a print-out of the rules, and a print-out of the Wiggle page that says it's a "Bike Bag" (easyjet don't define bike bag). Maybe a bit paranoid, but I wasn't going to be popular with the g/f if my great idea for a cycle tour turned sour before we even started! As it turned out there was no hassle at all, and if anything, from a security point of view, the airlines should prefer a see-through bag.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I've flown my bike back from Rome in a bag. Thankfully they didn't check it thoroughly, otherwise they would have found my tent and various other bits stuffed in there to avoid baggage charges. :lol:

My bike survived there were signs of damage to the bag so be careful. Mine was a one off trip so didn't want to splash out.

Whilst on that tour, I spoke to a couple who had stored their bike boxes with a member of the http://www.warmshowers.org/ list. Its a network of cycle tourists who like to help out other members. You might find someone kind enough to take on your bags if there isn't any local storage?

Worth a shot.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I have had it with these motherfrackin' bikes on this motherfrackin' plane!
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Dav3m wrote:
    ...In September I'm heading up to Scotland and taking the bike and I'm wondering how best to take it on the airplane.

Is it too late to suggest you consider taking a train, instead?

Cheers,
    W.

+1 :- much easier.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    daviesee wrote:
    +1 :- much easier.
    That depends what train companies are involved. I've had universally an easier time putting a bike on planes in comparison to using trains.
    If you have prebooked a bike space on a plane you can pretty much guarantee your bike will be on the plane (as long as you play by the rules).
    If you have prebooked a bike space on a train you can still fail to get yourself and the bike on the train if the guard decides they don't want you to get on (even if you have done everything by the book).

Mike
  • beegee
    beegee Posts: 160
    On topic, they always say to reduce the tyre pressure. I went in a little plane to Denmark but it still had over 100 people so not that little. I didn't have a pump so I left the tyres as they were. My pressures were about 70 psi in 700x25 tyres and they were fine. But you would probably have a pump anyway if you are going touring.
  • alfablue
    no need to reduce the tyre pressure (indeed I declined to do so when asked). Modern aircraft including luggage hold are pressurised at around 7000ft, you can cycle at higher altitude than that!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    It's an aeroplane goddammit, we're not American....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • alfablue
    er, you object to "Aircraft" as not being British? The Ark Royal was not an aeroplane carrier, it wasn't the British Aeroplane Corporation . . . :?

You can read about the history of the British Aircraft Industry here :)
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    alfablue wrote:
    er, you object to "Aircraft" as not being British? The Ark Royal was not an aeroplane carrier, it wasn't the British Aeroplane Corporation . . . :?

Calm down, I think he's having a go at the OP, who used the word "airplane"...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • alfablue
    TGOTB wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

Oh, I'm disappointed now :cry:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    alfablue wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

Oh, I'm disappointed now :cry:

Yes, yes, I know it's "aircraft", but in British English it's "aeroplane". Americans say "airplane" not us.... Another example of the creep of US English into the mother tongue....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • alfablue
    Yes, yes, I know it's "aircraft", but in British English it's "aeroplane". Americans say "airplane" not us.... Another example of the creep of US English into the mother tongue....
    I am unable to disagree with you.