Bike Cleaning

CarleyB
CarleyB Posts: 475
edited August 2010 in Road beginners
What do you use to clean all the muck off yours?

I generally let mud dry on and then wipe it off with a dry cloth. I'm thinking maybe I should clean it properly :lol:
Level 3 Road & Time Trial Coach, Level 2 Track Coach.

Blackpool Clarion CC
http://blackpoolclarion.webs.com/

Blackpool Youth Cycling Association
http://www.go-ride-byca.org

Comments

• rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    For me....I've usually cleaned the bike before I get in the shower!

Hose the bike down
    Spray it with Muc Off
    Use a wee brush etc in the nooks and crannies
    Sponge off the bike and rinse it
    Run the chain through a cloth with degreaser on it
    Dry the bike
    GT85 to get rid of excess water
    Drops of oil where needed :)

Probably wrong somewhere but the bike's been working fine for years (touch wood!)
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • bilirubin
    bilirubin Posts: 225
    Put on a good set of water proofs and cycle to the nearest car wash, if you smile whilst the rollers are moving it saves having to floss when you get home as well :lol::lol:
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    CarleyB wrote:
    What do you use to clean all the muck off yours?
    A drop of washing up liquid in some warm water when really muddy and rinse off with cold water and leave to dry naturally. Do not use a power jet!
    Other occasions a wipe over with a damp cloth and then a touch of spray poilsh for the frame.

Chain wiped after every other ride and lubricated. Tyres always wiped with a damp cloth when I return home checking for flints/thorns.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    Jeez guys, are you serious?

No need for any of that surely unless you're in the deepest darkest grit filled winter?
  • Lillywhite

No need for any of that surely unless you're in the deepest darkest grit filled winter?

Yep and fresh cycling kit for every ride. :wink:
  • CarleyB
    Lillywhite wrote:

OMG yes ALWAYS sparkling clean kit. Doesn't everyone wear clean kit every ride?

Blackpool Clarion CC

• rick_chasey
    CarleyB wrote:
    Lillywhite wrote:

Yeeah, but cleaning your kit isn't hassle.

Chuck in washing machine, take out, leave to dry.

None of this "get a little lubricant here, a bit of muc off there with my special rag blah blah *yawn* ZZzzzzzzz...."
  • Lillywhite
    CarleyB wrote:

I bet there's a few Uni cyclists who don't bother. :oops:
  • Lillywhite
    If you keep your bike clean then that can be regarded as part of routine maintenance and you're not splashing out, on a regular basis, for brake and/or gear cables, chains, tyres, handle bar tape and other replacement parts.
  • rick_chasey
    Lillywhite wrote:
    If you keep your bike clean then that can be regarded as part of routine maintenance and you're not splashing out, on a regular basis, for brake and/or gear cables, chains, tyres, handle bar tape and other replacement parts.

*shrugs*

Since I don't clean it I don't notice stuff.

I've had my bike 5 years, and it's been cheaper to run than all my friends.

"oooo i just noticed this is a little frayed whilst I was cleaning blah blah"

It works fine, runs quietly - what more do I need?
  • I clean it properly when it gets dirty (ie rainy ride), but will always give it a wipe down with a baby wipe after every ride - partly cos it's white and I want it to stay looking good, but also just to get minor muck off, oil etc. Also gives me the chance to go over the bike thoroughly and check for any damage/cracks I may not have noticed. I'll lube the chain before most rides, but only clean it off using the rag method above about once every 3 weeks.
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    bilirubin wrote:
    Put on a good set of water proofs and cycle to the nearest car wash, if you smile whilst the rollers are moving it saves having to floss when you get home as well :lol::lol:

Wish I had ignored this. Put on waterproof jacket and trousers with heavy overshoes and drove my bike to the garage. I had to lie the bike on the ground in the car wash while I inserted a coin they gave me - then had to run and pick up the bike. I stood there and took one heck of a soaking. The water went through everything, waterproof or not, and in my ears and up my nose. The big brushes didn't event touch the bike and I was too afraid to venture anywhere near the giant bristles. The bike still had mud on it after the wash - it never cleaned up the intricate bits around the cranks. In fact one side was hardly touched. Worse still, the garage man came out and started shouting abuse at me. Called me all sorts of things and was going to get the police. I'll never, ever follow advice in this forum again.
  • CarleyB
    Woodywmb wrote:
    bilirubin wrote:

Wish I had ignored this. Put on waterproof jacket and trousers with heavy overshoes and drove my bike to the garage. I had to lie the bike on the ground in the car wash while I inserted a coin they gave me - then had to run and pick up the bike. I stood there and took one heck of a soaking. The water went through everything, waterproof or not, and in my ears and up my nose. The big brushes didn't event touch the bike and I was too afraid to venture anywhere near the giant bristles. The bike still had mud on it after the wash - it never cleaned up the intricate bits around the cranks. In fact one side was hardly touched. Worse still, the garage man came out and started shouting abuse at me. Called me all sorts of things and was going to get the police. I'll never, ever follow advice in this forum again.
    *snigger*

Blackpool Clarion CC

• Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    I hear sandblasting your bike gets all the gunk off it, try that Woody :P
  • Hals1967
    Hals1967 Posts: 231
    I've had nothing on my bikes that babywipes won't get off. 8)

1967 Engine
  • If you drive to your local airport and sit behind the jet engines of a jumbo jet or similar you'll find that your bike will receive the best clean ever - whilst providing you with a mild sun tan at the same time...
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    I want it to stay looking good.

That's it for me as well. I've spent a bit on the bike so I'd like to keep it looking it's best, along
    with general maintenance.
    If I look after it, it'll look after me! :)
  • Hals1967
    Hals1967 Posts: 231
    There's a thought...drafting behind a taxiing Airliner.

Get tucked up nice and close to the nose-wheel, 80 knots and V1, V2 & rotate. :D

1967 Engine
  • Get 'the wife' to clean it....

If you manage to do this, please give me instructions.
    Giant Rapid 3
  • bilirubin
    bilirubin Posts: 225
    Woodywmb wrote:
    bilirubin wrote:

I hope you were filming it on your mobile at the same time so we can see it on youtube :lol:
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    CarleyB wrote:
    Lillywhite wrote:

exactly, My wife would not let me out of the door in dirty kit - she would regard it as a sleight on her washing abilities

I can ride in the same kit successive days though as its normally in the washer within 30 minutes of arriving home
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    bilirubin wrote:
    Woodywmb wrote:
    bilirubin wrote:
    I hope you were filming it on your mobile at the same time so we can see it on youtube :lol:

That's another thing. My mobile was in the back pocket of my cycling top. I'm now getting nothing up on the screen. The ranting, raging garage man said he'd phone the police about me and I cheekily answered back that I would phone them first to complain about HIM. I felt so stupid when I saw nothing on the screen and I couldn't phone directory enquiries to get the number. I mean I couldn't phone 999 and, when they ask me which emergency service I require, answer that my bike had just been soaked and that I was wringing through. Even the coastguard couldn't have helped me at that stage. Mind you the phone was a Seaman's.