Educate me - Water bottle(s)

easy=rider
easy=rider Posts: 5
edited August 2010 in Road beginners
Right…. I have my bike, now I need a bottle or two to keep me hydrated on the long rides. I’ve been out on a few rides and used my lightweight camelback but it gets a bit hot & it’s not going to work for my maiden duathlon in a few weeks :shock:

So what works for you guys (&girls)? was thinking of those dual bottles that go behind the seat because I’ll need a fair bit of fluid or x2 bottles on the frame.

Cheers for your input

Ps. Anyone else doing the London Duathlon??

Comments

• just get a 2 bottle on yyour bike using the mounts provided. if you need lots of water consider using 1ltr bottles! thats what i do.
  • sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    Or consider using some of the energy gels or similar
    I like white bikes
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    I bought some of the SIS GO bottles and they're crap! No matter how hard you tighten them they still leak and they cost a bloomin' fortune (£3.00). There are some 'new' Camelbak bottles out which claim to be leakproof so it may be worth having a peak at those.
  • louthepoo
    louthepoo Posts: 223
    Bunneh wrote:
    I bought some of the SIS GO bottles and they're crap! No matter how hard you tighten them they still leak and they cost a bloomin' fortune (£3.00). There are some 'new' Camelbak bottles out which claim to be leakproof so it may be worth having a peak at those.
    take them back and replace them if they leak, i have those and mine dont leak.
    Riding a Merida FLX Carbon Team D Ultralite Nano from Mike at Ace Ultra Cycles, Wednesfield, Wolverhampton 01902 725444
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Bunneh wrote:

I have quite a few bottles...
    2 CamelBak Podiums, a bit expensive, but they are very good and don't leak. They're also made from food grade plastic, so don't stink, stain (so far!), or taste plasticky!!!

I have SIS Go bottles, too... These have been the topic of a few posts, due to the leaking, but it seems that the tighter you screw them down, the more they leak!
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    the camelback podium bottles are incredible. they dont taste funny and they dont leak.
  • Bunneh wrote:

I've found with the SIS bottles that if I screw the lid on as hard as I can, it leaks. Whereas if I just lightly screw it on, it doesn't. Think it might have something to do with the capillary action of liquids, but anyway, seems to work :D
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    spasypaddy wrote:
    the camelback podium bottles are incredible. they dont taste funny and they dont leak.

And you don't have to faff about with biting the end to open it, they're constantly open (But still closed if you understand what i mean).
  • msw
    msw Posts: 313
    easy=rider wrote:
    So what works for you guys (&girls)? was thinking of those dual bottles that go behind the seat because I’ll need a fair bit of fluid or x2 bottles on the frame.

Use the mounts on the frame first. You can get 750ml or 1L bottles, and if they don't fit (eg in a small sized compact frame) there's always the pockets of your jersey. As long as you drink plenty beforehand you should be ok on about 500-ml/hour (depending on the heat of course).
    "We're not holding up traffic. We are traffic."
  • SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    Bottled water is also widely available in most areas I'd far rather pop into a shop or garage and buy a bottle for £1 if I run out than carry more than the 2 bottles that fit on the frame.
  • Lady Venom
    Lady Venom Posts: 213
    Camelbak podium chill.... best bottle ever!!!
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    I use two of the Camelbak bottles think there 750ml, great bottles dont leak, dont taste of plastic and i have ones with thermal jackets just keep drinks a little cooler a little longer. These are both mounted on the frame in a pair of carbon cages and regularly filled with the SIS drink. :D
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!