All you budding MTB film makers.

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited August 2010 in MTB general
So, much fuss has been made of Canon's 5D video capabilities.
But, for hopefully far cheaper (sadly, prices haven't been announced yet it seems) Sony are bringing out their SLR based camcorder, which can take E and α mount lenses. It should be out in a couple of weeks.
This could be good.
What do you reckon?
Sony%20camera_1.JPG

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/cam-high- ... /nex-vg10e

Comments

• The alpha mount adapter allows autofocus to work then it could be really good. It'll be interesting to see how it's priced compared to the NEX3/5.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    looks rather awsome! bet its still not cheap tho! :?
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    I'd imagine it will be far cheaper than the Canon eos 5D.
    AFAIK, the e-alpha adapter can autofocus if the alpha lens has an in-body AF motor. I don't know if the current adapter for the NEX stills cameras has this function though.
    But, who the flinking blip autofocuses video?

I'm very intrigued by this, since I already have a small but rather tasty collection of α mount lenses.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well Panasonic have released the first consumer 3D video camera.

:wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Bullorks to 3d consumer stuff just yet. There's still no consumer HD cameras that are worth much yet (apart from the 5D, which has a ton of drawbacks, and is arguably not very "consumer")
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    nicklouse wrote:

I'm waiting for GoPro to release a 3d helmet cam.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    chedabob wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

just strap one to each side of the helmet :wink:

The Panna one
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    nicklouse wrote:
    chedabob wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

just strap one to each side of the helmet :wink:
    And er... sync them up somehow. (any two cameras will have slightly differing internal clocks)
    The 3D camcorder thing is a neat idea, but give me image quality over gimmicks.
  • I don't think the current NEX alpha adapters do autofocus at the moment, but you're right, less needed for video I guess. I think 3D cameras could go either way at the moment, either everyone will be doing it or it'll die a betamax/hd-dvd death. I'm still not convinced that 3d adds much in the cinema, although 3d point of view videos would be neat.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Sony are bringing out their SLR based camcorder

The term "SLR based Camcorder" just doesn't make sense.
    Another senseless crossover product?
  • Anonymous
    Ok, I'll clarify.
    Instead of bodging a video function onto an SLR, which has it's own bag of issues, Sony have built an entire camcorder around the sensor, and processing from one of their SLRs.
    What's more, it can also accept the same lenses as their SLRs.
    So, you have a camcorder with a (relatively speaking) very large sensor, with impeccable image quality, and has the option of using some very nice glass.

So, yeah, a camcorder based around their pre-existing DSLR technology.
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    I would add a little of fire into this.

Unless that Sony has got an excellent price, then yeah.
    From other point, imagine tourists carrying huge camera around just to film little footage SLR quality wise? It's just doesn't seem sensible. For pro's yes, it would make some sense. But how many pro's actually film their takes more than 10minutes or so? I haven't seen those step takes** being longer than 2minutes, understanding that movie usually consists of many step takes* then edited with software into a bigger picture aka complete film wise.

Due to this I see why Canon made it huge success of their 7d and 5d, Anyone not only pro's can carry around those cameras and film or picture around whenever they please without actually employing a butler to carry all that equpment. And pricewise it is accessible at an average of £1.5k with decent lenses.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Anonymous
    Well, I think they're firmly going after the "enthusiast" market, really. Not the kind of thing to take on holiday to shoot family videos with, they already cater for that.
    I think the kind of market these things suit perfectly is people wanting to film themselves and friends snowboarding, mountain biking, on race circuits etc.

The eos 5D starts at nearly £1300 for a full body. you won't really get a decent lens for £200. Biggest issue I see is the overheating if used for too long, closely followed by the shutter distortion.
    Basically, it's a quantum leap in raw image quality, BUT, it still needs work to perfect it, whilst not sacrificing stills camera performance (which is what the 5d is, and an excellent one at that).
    This entry by Sony is their take on the SLR sensor in video application, and I wouldn't bet against them, given their considerable expertise in the video field. I mean, they practically OWN video production in Europe.

So, if you want a camera to primarily take VIDEO, with jaw dropping quality, does it really make more sense to buy a stills camera which has (currently) half-baked video capabilities, or to buy a video camera to do what it was intended to do?

Whatever happens, and whatever system end up on top, it's still a great step in the right direction for consumers/enthusiasts, and a bit of competition is bound to drive on both Sony and Canon to push things ever and ever further.
  • popstar
    Damn, I allready spent bucks. But 7d is cheaper than 5d, so that is my/her* only joy.

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Anonymous
    7d is great too mind. BIG difference between 7D and 5D is that the 5 has a full frame (full 35mm size) sensor, whereas the 7D has an APS-C crop.
    7D is newer too. I'm not sure if the 5D is due a replacement soon.

I'm hoping that Sony see sense, and sell the Videocam as a package with no lenses, just an e-alpha adapter for around the same as an eos 550D body.
  • popstar
    Your words into Sony's head! That would be an absolute must have and a killer on the market for sure. Looking into future with optimism, and awaiting a price war between canon and sony!

5d doesn't look a good deal these days, as 7d is right on its heals picture and video wise (actually it's better than 5d). It's not full sensor but it does work good with EF lenses.

• Anonymous
    Stills image wise, I'm afraid the 5D totally blows the 7D out of the water. The resolution is not the whole story, sorry :(
  • popstar
    For stills yea, I know it. Therefore I am going to take my coat and leave.

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    it's obviously going to cost a lot :(
  • Anonymous
    Well, it certainly won't be cheap, no.