Pannier rack lights!

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
My Lunar Smart 1/4 Watt light has un-surprisingly packed in and my Mars 3.0 isn't blowing me away for battery life or brightness.

Now I can either buy another light to run with the Mars, maybe a 4.0, Cherry Bomb or Cateye LD600 etc or I can buy a pannier rack light but I haven't the foggiest where to look or how they compare with the above lights, google isn't throwing up much.

In a nut shell, wiggle don't sell them, so I'm confused :lol:

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    The cateye LD1100 bolts straight onto this rack

both available at wiggle (and both in use on my Tricross :) )
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • iPete
    ooo thanks, I missed that one, assume it does a great job?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Hell yes :)

I use it with one row on flash and the other on steady - it's very hard to miss, and for Gawds sake don't look straight at lights when they're on.

You'll have spots before your eyes for ages afterwards :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    How depressing we need lights again - so grim in the mornings at the moment I'll have to dig mine out too.
  • BSRU
    BSRU Posts: 74
    I use 10mm p clips to attach my lights to my pannier rack.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I've bolted a 6cm piece of carbon seat post to the back plate on my rack, I can fit any light on it now. It was an old broken seat post, otherwise it would not be a cost effective option!
  • iPete
    Wrapping a light onto the rack is no problem, my Smart Lunar is still attached with its standard mount.

I'm more concerned about the most visible solution and easier to deal with in terms of changing batteries thats going to survive a bit longer etc

p.s. it does suck that its so grey again!
  • take a look at the new tortec racks as they have a revolutionary new light fitting bracket
    http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... egoryID=84

i own the disk rack, and its brilliant
  • rmhodv
    rmhodv Posts: 83
    Hi here is my two-penneth worth.

I've fitted a Dinotte 140L-AA-R rear light to my pannier. I imported the light from the USA. If you want bright, then nothing comnpares.

Here's the thread about it.
  • I have an Oxford light on my rack. Not very bright, but I have other lights for that. The lens is easily knocked off and someone I know has also had to resort to rubber bands to hold it on.
  • I'm sure my smart 1/2 watt clipped right onto my pannier rack...

And I think you can buy adapters for some lights to be pannier-rack-able.

SJS cycles (.co.uk I think) do a great line in random little bits like that...
  • iPete
    I'm sure my smart 1/2 watt clipped right onto my pannier rack...

And I think you can buy adapters for some lights to be pannier-rack-able.

SJS cycles (.co.uk I think) do a great line in random little bits like that...

The Smart does indeed, mine is still clipped on but shame they die so easily in the British weather!

Pretty sold on the LD1100.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    wait for the new cateye lights, there is one like the LD-600 but only 3 led and IIRC they are all 1/4watt but the output is like the 1/2 watt due to some clever stuff.
  • iPete
    wait for the new cateye lights, there is one like the LD-600 but only 3 led and IIRC they are all 1/4watt but the output is like the 1/2 watt due to some clever stuff.

whens the new range out?

Have just picked up some Sekuclip 3M spoke clips to battle with me this winter, along with whatever new lights I get..