cardiff ajax average speed on 50 miles at what speed?

thefonz78
thefonz78 Posts: 148
edited August 2010 in Road beginners
I am new to cycling had my bike for just over a month. I would like to join the Cardiff Ajax to make some cycling friends and go on the Sunday rides. The slow passed ride is 50 miles which i'm currently working up to. What what is a slow pace. my average speed is 12-13 mph. Should I try and get thid up to 17mph before considering riding with the club?

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    have you considered sending this question to the Ajax club secretary..?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Why not contact them and see what they say??

http://www.cardiffajaxcycling.co.uk/

A lot of clubs vary in their interests with some focusing on racing, others on more sedate touring and some with a blend appealing to one and all. 12-13 mph does sound a little slow but they may well have one group doing the rides at that kind of pace.

However, whilst you look around for a club that you like/suits you then you might want to work on that speed. I suggest that you keep your mileage to a max of 30M but aim to up your average speed by working harder each w/e ride. When you can do 30M @ 15-17mph, increase the distance to 35 but try and maintain the speed, etc. If you are finding it a bit easy, throw in a hill or two.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Sorry for the duplication, I was typing whilst Softlad was posting.
  • thefonz78
    thefonz78 Posts: 148
    Yeah i think i will work on my speed a little more. Thank you.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Bear in mind that cycling in a group is easier and therefore faster.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    it is easier, but i do agree, i think you need to spend a bit of time on fitness and speed.
    i rekon 50 miles with 15mph average would be a nice target.
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    ajax came towards me yesterday and I'd say they were going along the flats at roughly 17/18mph taking it easy. dunno which group this was, I see them out alot but I've never rode with any of them
    Crafted in Italy apparantly