The Burgess Hill Rumble Date 29th August 2010

SRS Events
SRS Events Posts: 264
THE BURGESS HILL RUMBLE CYCLOSPORTIVE
29th August 2010
http://www.srs-events.cc

Burgess Hill town centre will host the Start & Finish of all Four rides of The Burgess Hill Rumble organized by SRS Events. This Event will be timed using chip timing devices for each rider. By just entering any of these rides you will be helping raise money for The Sussex Heart Charity.

You can read about last years Burgess Hill Rumble on Cycling Weekly's webiste by clicking on this link below:-

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/routes/s ... rtive.html

The Four choices of routes are:-

THE BURGESS HILL CLASSIC CYCLOSPORTIVE a 92 mile (147km) route with hills such as Kidds Hill and Toys Hill to test the strongest of cyclosportive riders.

THE CHALLENGE RIDE a 65 mile (105km) Cyclosportive is an event which will also prove to be a good test of fitness and determination for most cyclist as it follows some of the route of The Classic ride.

THE TOUR RIDE a
43 mile (68.6Km) event with fewer hills and less distance than the above two rides. A good level of fitness is needed to comfortably tackle this route.

THE KERMESSE RIDE a gentle 23.4 mile (37.7 km) cyclosportive style ride for riders of all ages who want to enjoy the Razzmatazz of this Burgess Hill Community event with its Start & Finish area in the heart of the town.

All riders will be timed via the SPORTident timing system.

http://www.srs-events.cc

Video of our last event SRS Event last event the 1066 cyclosportive http://vimeo.com/13177217

Video of the 2009 Burgess Hill Rumle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgannpS7E98

Riders who enter the longest ride have hills such as Pillow mounds hill, kidds hill (better know as the wall), Groombridge Hill, Yorks Hill, Toys Hill, Cob lane Hill, Ardingly Hill to name just a few.
A really test for that late season form :!:

Get your entry in before the 21st August to avoid the late entry fee.

We look forward to seeing you.
On behalf of all the team here at SRS Events

Comments

• sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    I entered one of these events last year and it was very well organised. I plan to enter this one too but not looking forward to Cob Lane which I had to walk last year. Hopefully I can beat my time from last year
  • I agree with that Sherer I did the Springtime Classic in March really well organised, and a fantastic route. I am goingfor the Classic route on the Rumble, although I may have bitten off more than I can chew. I didn't walk up Cobb Lane last time but I did have to stop. I am hoping my end of season fitness will be enough to tame Cobb Lane, then again the Rumble is further and has the extra Yorks Hill and toys Hill.

Anybody know how hard Yorks Hill and Toys hill are :?:
  • sherer
    Yorks Hill is another 20% one. Not done that myself but it is meant to be tough. It is another short and sharp hill.

Toys Hill has two sides one from the A25 side is quite easy but about 2.5 miles long according to the sign. Gradiant varies but that side up it is a nice ride. From the other side coming from the B2??? it is a bit shorting but steeper and gets to about 18% near the top.

Cobb Lane is tough to remount on at that steepness so good job with doing that.
  • :shock: OH boy, two more weekends of long rides should get me ready -- tapering after that, I might have to venture out of the concrete jungle to see just how hard Toys Hill and Yorks hill really are.

Looking forward to it all though I am not sure whether I actually lose any weight doing SRS Events with all their free food. :arrow: note to diary I must stop being such a glutton at Cyclosportives.

Are they doing any more events after this one or do we have to wait until next year :cry: is the organiser watching ? let us know.
  • looking at the SRS WEBSITE I don't think there are any more cyclosportives by SRS Events this year.

Although I know they do some sort of training series during the winter but I can't find out any information about that.
  • Mad One
    Mad One Posts: 82
    looking at the SRS WEBSITE I don't think there are any more cyclosportives by SRS Events this year.

Although I know they do some sort of training series during the winter but I can't find out any information about that.
    Thought you'd know 'POCKETROCKET42' - after all you are the organiser are you not?

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/profile ... e&u=450332
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/profile ... e&u=451308

Not sure I like the style :evil:
  • sherer
    looking at the SRS WEBSITE I don't think there are any more cyclosportives by SRS Events this year.

Are you saying there are no more events and the above is cancelled or that the one on the 29th is the last one of the year ?
  • No I am not the organiser the organiser is out getting the event ready the next event which is the BURGESS HILL RUMBLE ON THE 29TH AUGUST.

I know they were thinking of putting on another event in the year but as yet I don't know what they have decided. I think its going to be a reliability trial during the winter jointly with the Sussex Nomads cycling club.

More details to follow on that .
  • Sherer don't worry the Burgess HILL Rumble is most definitely ON.
  • Mad One
    No I am not the organiser.

Thats funny - the name in your profile was the same as the organisers name TILL YOU DELETED IT Rupert :evil:

You seem to be having conversations with yourself too using your different usernames! Are you OK ???

How many other accounts are you using to rave about your events?
  • Mad one you seem angry ? My name is Sam and I am working part time for Rupert why are you getting angry?
  • Mad One
    My name is Sam and I am working part time for Rupert

'course it is :wink:

Seems odd that both SRS events account & PocketRocket42 account registered to Rupert Rivett till I mentioned it above - now PocketRocket42 changed to 'SRS events staff'

Why would that change?

This threads interesting too - http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight= - definate case of talking to yourself I think?

Very weird - why would you do that?
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    I can highly recommend the Rumble Sportive, rode the Challenge last year, thoroughly enjoyed it, and my ugly mug is the freeze-framed image on their video of last year's ride on the SRS website

i'm famous i tell ya!! 8)

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • Mad man I change the profile to stop the confusion and before you say anything CXCX is not Rupert either.
  • spezial
    spezial Posts: 142
    Anyone else doing this/done it?

Did a recce of some of the climbs yesterday, and know most of the rest of them already, it looks like a really tough event. Yorks Hill particularly challenging, struggled up most of it on a 39x23, then had to stop due to tree debris across the road, which was a relief as I'm not sure I would have made the last bit on that gear!

Never done an SRS ride before, are they any good?
    "what's it pertaining?"
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    I've done a few SRS events and can highly recommend them. Good signposting, great food, often terrible weather (but I suppose we can't blame the organisers for that), and when I had a rear derailleur collapse on me last year they came and collected me in the broom wagon. All in all I highly recommend them.

And I don't work for them either. :D

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • spezial
    Thanks Rats, good to get an independent opinion, posts related to their events on this and other forums often have a hint of an an inside job about them!

Looks like this one will probably have terrible weather too, but it wouldn't be a ride around Sussex without a few puddles and a bit of mud I guess.

Was going to aim for the "gold" time bracket to complete the ride, but after the recce, I'll just be glad to finish.
    "what's it pertaining?"
  • That was proper fun, that. Although, the signs on Cobb Hill had me giggling and losing my rhythm... :)

a few thoughts:
    1) it's definitely not flat in't saaarth.
    2) Empty gel wrappers, jersey pockets. Not difficult folks.
    3) Wearing pro team kit has always been a bit sad, but wearing Sky kit with your name on the side? oh dear.
    4) Can't wait for the spring one again
    5) I love that anti-gravity section of the ridge...
    6) first sportive I've done where people were turning the wrong way out of the START. If you're going to have it on a one-way road, people are probably not going to assume that the route goes the wrong way up the road. An arrow to start with would be a plan...!
    7) More and more people on sportives just sit on a group and don't work... 'if someone's stupid enough to go on the front, they can stay there' seems to be the motto of many riders. Nichts gut!
    8. Siting 'race' HQ next to a McDonalds is an epic WIN.
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    That truly kicked my arse, that did.

I did this two years ago and I'm sure they've made it tougher, especially the second half...it seemed the entire section after Toys Hill went uphill (even the 'flatter' sections) apart from some nasty, dark and twisting descents through forest that a nervous Nerys like me had to do slow anyway!

I can honestly say I was more washed out after yesterday than after the Marmotte this year - collapsed in bed by 7pm instead of enjoying beers at Alpe d'Huez!

Got up all the other hills OK but Cob Lane was a non-starter the way I was feeling - got as far as I could then it was Shanks' pony for the rest I'm afraid. Imagine my amusement at the signage along the way...

Good event though, if a wee bit disorganised at the start. And at least it didn't p*ss it down this time!
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    That was proper fun, that. Although, the signs on Cobb Hill had me giggling and losing my rhythm... :)

a few thoughts:

7) More and more people on sportives just sit on a group and don't work... 'if someone's stupid enough to go on the front, they can stay there' seems to be the motto of many riders. Nichts gut!

Should be a wee bit less judgemental on that - it is a sportive, not a club run. Any number of reasons why people might be less inclined to go to the front - I think I had several for probably being a little too much at the back.

1) I am inexperienced in group cycling - tbh, I get a bit nervous of both me and my shiny new very expensive bike when there are people on my back wheel that I don't know.
    2) I may be behind but I'm often several bike lengths behind and not taking any tow.
    3) I don't yet have a computer on my bike so when I do go to the front, on undulating terrain, it is hard to get the pace right.
    4) When I did get to the front (usually on uphills as I am slow on descent/flat) I tended to drop the group like a stone no matter how slow I went!

Mind, after the Challenge route diverged I was on my own until Toys hill where I met up with a bloke on a nice lugged Colnago and we worked pretty well together til he got off on the climb out of Ardingly reservoir.

Riders do seem different to those on the Northern sportives – much faster on the flat, much slower on the climbs.....

I really enjoyed it – the weather was fine (the wind not half so bothersome in the much leafier south – trees help!) aside from a light shower after Balcombe. Yorks Hill was a proper good climb and Cobb Lane was what you’d expect!

Timing classifications were a bit weird though. I finished in 5:45 and got gold in my 40-49 age bracket; I was 55 minutes clear of silver yet 5 minutes short of gold for the 18-39 group. Turning 40 isn’t going to slow your pace by an hour! I finsihed at 2:30 and cycled back to my parents at Haywards Heath by 3:45 with dark clouds ahead. By 5 past 4, it was chucking it down - the late starters/slower riders paid a penalty!

Otherwise, well signposted, well marshalled, well fooded, a bit slow for getting the timing device at the start.. I’ll be back down to do another – hopefully this time climbing Toys Hill rather than descending (the main disappointment of the day! :lol: )
    Faster than a tent.......
  • spezial
    +1 on it being a really tough one.

I'm fairly new to doing these types of event, but the route had little in the way of flat bits that's for sure.

Enjoyed it though, was pretty well organised, the route was well marked. I wasn't a fan of the "necklace" timing chips that you had to manually scan, the ones that are attached to the bike and automatically trigger are less hassle. Well stocked feed stations in good locations on the route, although for some reason every single toilet seemed to have been "visited" well and truly! :shock:
    "what's it pertaining?"
  • bam49
    bam49 Posts: 159
    First time I've seen this after being out all day yesterday on the bike... + 1 for the Rumble being a very good sportive ( time chip queueing apart ), with a great route over some quite roads...
    I really enjoyed this , apart from maybe the last 20 miles :lol: or so... Managed to get up Cob Lane without walking, but I thought the section after the last time checkpoint was still tough as I thought all the hills were over... Re riders not taking turns, I was happy to sit at the front of a bunch early on ( typical setting off too fast ), but must admit that when I was running on empty later on I was even more happy to wheelsuck :wink: ... I was on a red , white and black Felt F1 wearing a PBK world champs jersey ( :lol: )... I would definitely do this event again ...
  • sherer
    second time i've done the event. Made some progress over last time, managed to get up Kidds Hill and also most of the way up Cobb Lane. Had trouble getting back on after a stop as my front wheel lifted on the gradient and I ended up falling over.

Thought the run after Ardinley was very tough, had used up so much energy I could only make about 10 mph and had to walk a lot of the smaller hills.

Any idea when the photos will be online ?

Well run event and feed stops were great, the one at Forest Gate does take a bit of getting into if you miss the first right though