Riding 2 abreast

williamwasp
williamwasp Posts: 40
edited August 2010 in Road beginners
Had a barney with a bus driver today because we were riding two abreast, through a fenland village (long straight and quite wide road.) We were travelling @ 24 mph. Were we doing anything wrong. By the way the fat cow called me a tosser as she drove off!

Comments

• Hmm regardless of the way you were riding her behaviour was inappropriate. If you are a professional driver you should act professionally.

On occasion I ride 2 abreast when out with a friend but always move back in for cars and if it is a narrow area or an obstruction is present we go single file again

This post has some useful information,hope its useful

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... ioning-197

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Myself and Tap (another forumite) have been riding two abreast for a while and we've had some really nasty people giving us visual abuse (two fingers etc). All we do now is Tap waves and I blow them kisses.

It comes down to common sense. If there road's narrow then you're better off single file. If it's wide and you know cars don't have to struggle to pass you then two side by side is fine. If anyone gives you abuse just smile and tell them they can borrow the Highway code form their local library, learning to read is probably harder for them.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    It's all part of the enjoyment of riding :)
  • and I thought all those people sounding their horns and waving were people I knew!!
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    Highway Code:

“..never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends”
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    i had once, and when stopped the offending driver got snotty we suggested we just go up the road to the police station and ask if we were in the wrong, all the time we remained calm and polite, as in club kit. The car driver declined the invitation, do you think he knew the correct answer.

Like the others two abreast on wide roads or clear, but move back to single file if busy or narrow.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    the highway code as previously said, says that 2 abreast is ok.
    but this is only advisory . in practise , you can ride 3/4/5 abreast if you wish, as long as you dont cross a constant white line . you are doing nothing wrong.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • daveclow
    daveclow Posts: 164
    sub55 wrote:
    the highway code as previously said, says that 2 abreast is ok.
    but this is only advisory . in practise , you can ride 3/4/5 abreast if you wish, as long as you dont cross a constant white line . you are doing nothing wrong.

...but if i got knocked off 3/4/5 abreast i wouldnt be as confident that the law would take my side in court, going by the previous quote from the highway code
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    There's something totally irrational about the way some motorists react when they see cyclists 2 abreast. It doesn't seem to matter if the road is 10 metres wide and they can overtake easily - its just the fact that cyclists dare be anywhere other than in the gutter I guess.
    More problems but still living....
  • dUNC
    dUNC Posts: 73
    Perfectly fine in what you did, as the highway code points out.

Personally I would move back into single file (depending on quite how wide the road was) as I think it's good manners when there's traffic behind. Not that I would expect such a gesture to be acknowledged or appreciated by motorists! But then I'm the kind of bloke that moves my trolly and apologises if it's blocking the aisle in the supermarket, and think I'm very much in the minority! :)
  • thedirge
    thedirge Posts: 181
    Worst post title ever. I clicked this link expecting boobies, I feel cheated.
    Consequences.... are just a harmless by-product of having a good time, all the time.

Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.
  • sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    thedirge wrote:
    Worst post title ever. I clicked this link expecting boobies, I feel cheated.

+1
    I like white bikes
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    You were in the right but I would always move to single file if traffic was approaching from behind. Just good manners. But no, you are not a tosser and yes she is a fat cow.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Just because highway code allows cyclists to ride two abreast doesn't mean you have to...it would annoy me if I was stuck behind two cyclists too. If you hear traffic coming from behind you, or they're unable to overtake, one of you pull back and allow the car(s) to overtake.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Sadly, most motorists are ignorant to the fact - the Highway Code isn't enshrined in law either. I've seen motorists being 'educated' by Police outriders whilst taking part in a race - putting your horn on behind a pack of 60 riders on a country road isn't going to make it go away! The 'don't pay road tax' rebuke typically follows - most would appear to lack the literacy skills to progress beyond page 3 of popular newspapers...
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    lol heard that at work.."don't pay road tax" "should pay insurance" little point trying to put my view across (said everyone should have to cycle or have a motorbike before they're allowed to drive a car" of course they disagreed with that lol...also since I don't have engine why should I pay road tax? Also if cyclists pay road tax, then pedastrians should pay road tax also as they walk on the roads...lol
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Just because highway code allows cyclists to ride two abreast doesn't mean you have to...it would annoy me if I was stuck behind two cyclists too. If you hear traffic coming from behind you, or they're unable to overtake, one of you pull back and allow the car(s) to overtake.

Depends......

If going single file will allow them to pass safely then fair enough, good method.

If it won't make a difference, what is the point?
    Happened many a time to me where there is no room to overtake anyway but they still get the hump about cycling side by side :evil:

What really gets me is people going the other way on a clear road shouting that we shouldn't be side by side. :?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Which village may I ask?
  • beefcake2
    beefcake2 Posts: 157
    Technically nobody pays road tax. It is vehicle exise duty. An awful lot of people that are cyclists own cars and therefore do pay anyway. This is what I said to the friendly Porsche driver that stopped to give me some grief in Cheltenham at the weekend. He then went on to ask if I was a comedian and wanted a slap. I got off my bike and he quickly drove away.
  • elffy
    elffy Posts: 98
    This is a topic which really winds me up as I seem to suffer abuse from motorists on a daily basis. Verbal abuse is bad enough but I have also had motorist using there horn whilst trying to drive as close as possible next to me. When I'm out riding with my friend, we take it in turn to lead out and the other person will sit in behind. Obviously with the roads being in particularly bad condition, trying to ride behind someone in the gutter is impossible as it is not possible to see any potholes or debris before it's too late. Therefore when I am following behind I pull out slightly so I can see the road ahead but certainly not wide enough to be deemed riding 2 abreast. At most the distance between his rear tyre and my front will be 200mm (20cm). These seems to upset so many motorist and I've had people shout "single file" whilst passing me. I wouldn't mind but one of the roads it seems to happen most on is an extreme wide road where if you were to pass giving me a metre and half gap, you would still not be over the centre of the road.

I think it's about time the government spent some money on tv adverts educating people about cylist rather than constantly bombarding us with adverts about being obese or to stop smoking. Perhaps if people were educated to the fact that cyclist have just as much right to be on the road as motorists and also point out the dangers cyclist have to encounter without idiotic motorist then we might get a bit more respect, more room and less abuse.
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    elffy wrote:

I think it's about time the government spent some money on tv adverts educating people about cylist rather than constantly bombarding us with adverts about being obese or to stop smoking. Perhaps if people were educated to the fact that cyclist have just as much right to be on the road as motorists and also point out the dangers cyclist have to encounter without idiotic motorist then we might get a bit more respect, more room and less abuse.

+10

The Govt. used to do info ads like that back in Oz in the 80's if I recall.
    Results of passing cyclist too close etc. The Govt. here do them for motorcyclists "look bike" for example, but do bugger all about cyclists safety :evil:
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    beefcake2 wrote:
    Technically nobody pays road tax. It is vehicle exise duty. An awful lot of people that are cyclists own cars and therefore do pay anyway. This is what I said to the friendly Porsche driver that stopped to give me some grief in Cheltenham at the weekend. He then went on to ask if I was a comedian and wanted a slap. I got off my bike and he quickly drove away.

Just remember -

Every vehicle registered in the (UK) must be taxed if it is used or kept on a public road.

A vehicle kept off-road must either be taxed or have a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification).

Known formally as Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) or Graduated VED, the amount of Car tax (annual road tax) you pay depends on engine size or CO2 emission levels depending on the age of the car.

I suppose the fact that we don't have a free paper disc on our bikes is a major concern? :roll: :roll: :roll:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953

It annoys me when I am stuck behind a car.
    But they don't always pull over to let me by
  • dov2711
    dov2711 Posts: 131
    This springs to mind every time the topic is raised:

Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”
    The Simpsons, ‘Dangerous Curves’ (Episode 2005), first broadcast, November 10th 2008
  • Sorry for the delay....

Ricky Chasey - Ramsey St Marys.

All - Thanks for the replies.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Had a barney with a bus driver today because we were riding two abreast, through a fenland village (long straight and quite wide road.) We were travelling @ 24 mph. Were we doing anything wrong. By the way the fat cow called me a tosser as she drove off!

Can't be assed to read the other posts but yes you were wrong. Selfish as well IMO :arrow:
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Lots of motorists are w**kers

2 a breast is fine IMO. At 24mhp I'd rather be in my mates slipstream though.
  • If you know the time and place, then write an e-mail to the bus company with the details. It will give her second thoughts if she gets even a verbal warning for abuse to a member of the public.

I am coming round to the idea that I ride with one of those cheap micro video cameras on my helmet. I think that if motroists start to get the feeling that their actions are being filmed we might get a bit more respect on the road. Also if I do get knocked off I might get £250 from you've been framed :lol:
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Where I live it's difficult to pass even a lone cyclist.

We always ride in single file if there is a vehicle approaching from the rear. Would be extremely inconsiderate to do anything else.

Even that doesn't satisfy some people though, but at least I've done what I can.