What is your perfect bike?

saracen fan
saracen fan Posts: 389
edited August 2010 in MTB general
See, for me, its my saracen....ok I know its relitively cheap, but it fits me perfectly, and I mean perfectly!
The components are not the greatest and its not the lightest of frames, the whole bike weighs 13kg which isnt exactly fly weight.

And yet there is just this "something" about it, I ride it and its fast, flighty, and takes so much abuse, I have ultimate confidence on it and it rises to everything I throw at it.

My point is, all off the above is what I would class as the perfect bike, looking past brands and components what do you all regard as "the one"?

or is brand and components a major factor in this?

Im just intersted in peoples views on this subject :twisted:
Unlike my credit card im currently carrying a low level of interest- Peter Griffin

Saracen Trace 1

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yep I'd choose my own bike too, would make it a bit lighter, probably some DT 190s on Innolite XCC250 rims, and some SID World Cups, but then the wheels would compromise the durability and they'd be a bit flexy. Nowt's perfect, happy with what I've got!
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I don't think I could own a perfect bike. I do many different things on my bikes and to have just one would mean making a compromise.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Perfect bike would be something that descends like a DH rig, but light enough to climb like a monkey on steroids.

But this won't happen so a nice 140mm/160mm travel bike would be nice, but then you would need a lighter racey bike and on it goes.

I'm with Revel, you need N+1
    :D
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • yeh I guess your right there, maybe I should re-word it.....

My bike is not perfect no, but it FITS perfectly, which in my eyes is what makes or at least contributes towards the "perfect" bike *in its discipline that is*

so the perfect XC mountain bike for me is the saracen trace 1....
    the perfect DH bike....?

lol
    Unlike my credit card im currently carrying a low level of interest- Peter Griffin

Saracen Trace 1
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    I know the components, but there's a few frames.

Full Saint drivetrain and brakes, Deemaxes, Boxxers/40's, Straitline pedals/stem etc. Then either Intense 951, Santa Cruz V10, Intense M9 or a Transition TR450
  • j96_2
    j96_2 Posts: 188
    Well i have worked out how much money i am gonna need to spend on my bike to put the stuff on i want, it'll cost nearly a grand but it will be great. I have a carrera vengeance and its by far the best budget bike. ideally i would love an orange crush frame. That would be my perfect bike.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Ah, then I would say my Kona with some nice Foxy forks and a splash of the new XTR All Mountain Groupset and some fancy carbon rims.. It takes everything I'm brave enough to do in its stride, and it floats up hills, but that could also be my lightweight physique :wink:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    my dream bike would be a carbon framed 24lb 140mm fs bike, with a 2x10 drivetrain, fox fork and shock, superlight but tough wheels and edge carbon finishing kit. i've kinda got of it in my mind right now, but for some reason its mainly fluro yellow with black and white highlights :shock: i blame the new gt fury :lol:
  • I would love the Whyte 19xx :wink:
  • VERY happy with my current bike but i'd love a top spec 2011 Orange Five, with full XTR drivetrain, Saint Brakes, and some nice 2011 Fox 36 Talas :)
  • Jessica Alba...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd just add some better spec to the Zaskar.
  • gbrnole
    gbrnole Posts: 395
    My mojo HD hands down, climbs so well and descends ridiculously fast, i'm in disbelief everytime I ride it.

Knocked out 26 miles on dartmoor yesterday. Great bike suits my riding well
    Ibis Mojo SL-r
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    As much as I love my current bike, what I think I'd really like is a steel rigid singlespeed with tubeless tyres and SPDs.
    Then I could ride slower and have more fun, whilst simultaneously becoming a better rider.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Santa cruz heckler or a similar 5" travel trail bike. Basically my commencal, but newer/blingier.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • mine would be my saracen frame in carbon and the same overall weight of a cannondale flash lol
    with full XTR groupset and crankbros wheels.

Saracen Trace 1
  • My Whyte is a good starting point but to make it perfect for me, it needs some money thrown at it. The frame is just right except that the colour and decals are boring. The SRAM has to go as it's not as slick as the Deore on my Kona. And the clicky Hope freehub drives me mad. Everything else is fine.

So - a respray and full XT transmission transplant over the winter and it won't be far off perfect (for me).
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    A carbon Epic, with lots of X0 and XTR.....
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Money no object then the Trek Remedy 9.9 would have a home at my house :D
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    ...rigid singlespeed with tubeless tyres...
    Three wrongs don't make a right :)

Back on topic the more I see of Dan Atherton's 4x bike the more I like it. Would also like a Transition Bottlerocket and a Zumbi F44
  • Anonymous
    .blitz wrote:
    You're right, which is why I later changed my mind to a steel full suss frame, with a carbon rigid fork, and a geared fixie setup.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    to me its hard, i think it would have to be a really slack, but short, so its still nible TI HT, that was really light, but dead hard, and soft yet razor acurate and stiff.]

It would have a Magura Wotan that weighs the same as a Reba, and Deemaxes that weigh like Crossmaxes, oh and Hope M4 brakes (the old Mono ones) and a saint drivetrain that weighed teh same as XTR, and the pick of all th top finishing kit.
    It would weigh 21 LB, have 160mm of travel, and 2.7 supertacky tyres and be as fast as a cervello roadie.

it would be super stable, but really nimble, and an ideal race bike for both XC and DH, just by pushing the Travel adjust remote on the forks.
    It would climb like a bird, and fall like a stone. It would jump like a DMR, and cruise like a Intense DH bike.

It would be perfection in metal.
    It would be imposible, and it will never happen.

on a more realistic not a Ragely TI with a nice build up.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    .blitz wrote:
    You're right, which is why I later changed my mind to a steel full suss frame, with a carbon rigid fork, and a geared fixie setup.

:lol:
    I like bikes and stuff
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    For Me something like a Santa Cruz Nomad carbon with a 36 Float upfront, I9 enduro wheels and shimano XTR..must also have a Joplin and raceface Atlas AM cranks....and possible some sunline V1 bars and stem....so pretty much what i've got now apart from the Frame, forks, wheels and majority of the groupset. :lol:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • My Blur LTc, 25lbs and 140mm. Its perfect.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    .blitz wrote:
    You are on fire today :)
  • Anonymous
    Raceface Atlas cranks? eugh. :lol:
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Almost certainly Italian, probably Colnago or maybe Pegoretti... Super Record groupset with Bora tubs... mmmm

Sorry, wrong forum...

Ok, from an mtb perspective, frankly I'd take anything that worked all of the time...
  • joshtp wrote:
    blah, blah, blah ... It would be perfection in metal.
    It would be imposible, and it will never happen.
    Damn! Until I read that last bit I had my credit card out ready to go :cry:
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    Being new to all this I've looked at all these pretty bikes without really understanding what it means or what they can do. For some reason I am drawn to the Trek Remedy also. I think I am more drawn to wanting to be able to ride how the bike should be ridden. I'd probably feel too self concious riding it and never giving it any really hammer.