help end my pathetic dithering

biff55
biff55 Posts: 1,404
edited August 2010 in MTB general
my bike has 8 sp shimano drivetrain , which has worked perfectly well.
but as i am due to replace cassette and chain soon , the opportunity to go to 9 sp can be
had with just the additional purchase of shifter ( deore £20 ) , rear mech already XT.
cant make my mind up.
apart from a bigger range of 9 sp shimano products , is it worth it ? any major gains ?
or stick with what you already use ?

what say the forum ?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Why not go ten speed?!

Loads of 9 speed stuff still about though. But 8 works very well too.
  • biff55
    supersonic wrote:
    Why not go ten speed?!

Loads of 9 speed stuff still about though. But 8 works very well too.

would i need another rear mech for 10 sp as the XT is new ?

hang on a minute , giving me another option isnt helping my dithering :lol:
  • supersonic
    No, but you might need new chainrings. But you might need new ones anyway for 9 speed...

I think I'd stick with 8. Deore cassette and SRAM PC850 chain.
  • biff55
    cheers SS.
    yeah , though "low tech" its been pretty reliable.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    If it works fine, then don't bother, it's probably more hassle than it's worth. Now certainly isn't the time to go 10sp. If you wanted to go 9sp just for a wider choice of products, doing 10sp will have the opposite effect. Currently the only 10sp gear SRAM do is their XX range (EXPENSIVE) and roadie gear
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • supersonic
    SRAM are just about release 10 speed down to X7 level though, and SHimano down to SLX level.
  • biff55
    ilovedirt wrote:
    If it works fine, then don't bother, it's probably more hassle than it's worth. Now certainly isn't the time to go 10sp. If you wanted to go 9sp just for a wider choice of products, doing 10sp will have the opposite effect. Currently the only 10sp gear SRAM do is their XX range (EXPENSIVE) and roadie gear

very true , but the new shimano slx 10 sp gear is reasonbly affordable.
    just concerned that if i stick with 8 sp , which i'm happy with , that the spares become obslete with little notice and i've missed the chance to update.
  • supersonic
    8 speed will be around for years. Shimano still produce 6 speed, never mind 8!
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    have you had the cassette off, I was stunned to find mine 8spd cassette on the trek was a screw type one when I came to replace it.

So check you have a freehub before you spend mate or it might mean replacing hubs as well as the cassette (I think, I could be wrong)
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • single-speed.jpg
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    My '96 Proflex is 8sp. It works fine, loads of 8sp stuff still around (although very little in the way of top-end 8sp).

As you say the temptation's there to upgrade - sorry change - it to 9sp but IME it makes no difference.