XC Peterborough / Rutland area

13»

Comments

• u05harrisb
    u05harrisb Posts: 531
    cool!

well im resonably new to it all! i only started at the begining of the summer holidays, my fitness has been brilliant since and im gonna carry on hell or high water weather wise through winter im gonna get some of those use exposure lights should be great!

that ride through riddlington is awsome isnt it! apart from all those blasted gates near egleton other than that its great! love it good hills bet its awsome in the wet

do you road cycle with the velo club? saturdays and sundays i think they are

Ben
  • No road cycling for me, stick to MTB at the moment.
    Glad your so enthused, wait until you've tried some decent trails like Cannock, Sherwood or the ultimate. The Peak District.
  • u05harrisb
    i know i really really want to give some single track/trail stuff a go, ive heard of some stuff in some woods near duddington, do you know of anything thats good like that? i really want to give something like that a go but i really need to be able to cycle there because i cant drive.
  • Hi Ben,

There's a bit of stuff in Wakerely Woods so that must be the Duddington connection you talk about, I would be happy to show you around one weekend I could even pick you up and take you there if you want.

I'm not around for a while, holiday in the Lake District coming up and i'm off to guide a group around the Peak District on the bank holiday weekend but I could do something say 1st week end in September if you want.

Mike
  • u05harrisb
    cool sounds good, dont mean to be rude but i dont think mom and dad would approve about picking me and giving me a lift but im sure they would be okay about me cycling there and meeting u along the way or somthing. or we could meet and do some other trails too like that riddlington one becuase thats a really good one!

wow sounds busy! and very fun! im jealous

ive heard that the bourne woods are good, do you know about any of those trails?

Ben
  • OK Ben,

I understand about your parents, I've also heard about Bourne woods but from what I have heard and spoken to a few locals you do really need a local to show you around there.

I'll do a post about the Ridlington ride early September and see how you are fixed.

Mike
  • u05harrisb
    Mike sounds great!

im off on holiday next week but when school starts again mabye some sunday see what we can do. i think your right locals showing us around would probbably be best but wait and see, isnt it about 15-20miles ish from rutland water? i might cycle there some time and just have a look around to see what there is.

cant wait for winter cycling though it will be nice not to have any people on the trails or to have to be weaving in and out of oap's and city people near the car parked areas, drives me insane some times, its a good laugh in the wet though.

do you change your tires for winter? i just got some maxxis cross mark tyres and there good but i dont think they will cut it in the mud when all the rain comes.

if you could give me a shout when your able to because whe school starts im free after 4pm till late and then sundays and that will be about it because i work on saturday, to pay for bike parts and stuff haha

Ben
  • Bourne Woods are pretty OK, not overly techy, but there's some nice singletrack (nothing too technical) to be had if you know where to look. I can often be found there, and am quite happy to show people around if they want... Just look out for a slightly overweight beardy bloke on a Kona...
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • Hi all,

I've been pointed to this thread from another forum. I'm new to the North Cambs area and looking for some MTB riding and places to go really.

Is there a decent amount of local trails? I'm after some local stuff to build up my fitness and skills before I head to places like the peaks/lakes/N.Wales and test my mettle on the techy stuff.

Simon
    Simon
  • I'm in Yaxley and there's not a great amount of off-road around. Your best option is to use the minor roads coupled with the bridleways. I have a half decent ~10 mile that I do around the Yaxley, Haddon, Farcet area including a track that runs through the old brickworks. It's off the road but it's not exactly rough.

If you're Huntingdon based then you could check out Hinchingbrooke Park, I've never really been there on a bike but it might be OK if there's not too many people about.
  • HI,

Does any one in the Peterborough/Rutland/North Northamptonshire area fancy a nice spooky ride around Halloween?

Thought I might try to get a group together to meet at the Royal Oak in Duddington, say about 6.30pm and do a 10 mile loop taking in some single track in Wakerley Woods and Finshades returning back to the pub for a post ride drink, the route I have in mind should take about two hours in the dark

Would prefer to make this mid week say 27th or 28th October but if there is enough interest I could be tempted to do it on Haloween it's self.
  • sounds really cool would love to but unfortunatly cant get to duddington :( no car and to cycle there in the dark on the way home would be a little silly, mabye a rutland water ride some time or some of the bridleways around that way? :D
  • HI,

Does any one in the Peterborough/Rutland/North Northamptonshire area fancy a nice spooky ride around Halloween?

Thought I might try to get a group together to meet at the Royal Oak in Duddington, say about 6.30pm and do a 10 mile loop taking in some single track in Wakerley Woods and Finshades returning back to the pub for a post ride drink, the route I have in mind should take about two hours in the dark

Would prefer to make this mid week say 27th or 28th October but if there is enough interest I could be tempted to do it on Haloween it's self.

I'm interested in this, although would need to invest in a decent set of lights :).

Chris.
  • if your thinking lights get a set of USE exposure ones if you want a set to last you a life time!!! and if your all looking into riding in groups and things like that it might be worth you guys joining the rutland velo club (link below) its really good! we meet every wednesday at 6.30 outside rutland cycles whitwell shop, and better yet if your thinking of buying some proper lights then now would be a even better time to become a memeber! because you get 15% OFF all accesories and 10% OFF all bikes, you pay £10 for a year (bargin in itself) and you then get all of those extras! if your getting lights you have already saved your money!

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/Article/3 ... ETING.html
  • I'm interested in this, although would need to invest in a decent set of lights .

Chris.

I just boughtsome of theseand they are awesome for £60.

...if you are in a hurry though you can get them direct in the UK, diff battery, for £95.

....oh and I would probably be up for a spooky ride. Used to do Sulehay/Fineshade/Wakerly last year at night solo. It was interesting.
  • Do I get an inkling of a little interest generating :)

You will need some decent lights for this ride but hey ho there a worthwhile investment.
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    would love to join you on your local trails mate, but transport issues and problems with supplies of the lights I want are going to mean it'll have to wait a little longer.

Hope you're well, see you at Dalby :)
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Hi Cheshley,

I'm deffo coming to Dalby, sadly I can't make the Cannock night ride, will you have lights in time for that one?
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    Hopefully mate. The supplier I had been speaking to is expecting a delivery tomorrow but they launched their new website on Friday and put the prices up. I have found another UK based supplier who is selling them at the price the original guys were selling at PLUS postage, but his price includes postage and he is expecting stock on Tuesday so I have options and hopefully I'll be lighting up the local woods before the end of the week :)
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    u05harrisb wrote:
    if your thinking lights get a set of USE exposure ones if you want a set to last you a life time!!! and if your all looking into riding in groups and things like that it might be worth you guys joining the rutland velo club (link below) its really good! we meet every wednesday at 6.30 outside rutland cycles whitwell shop, and better yet if your thinking of buying some proper lights then now would be a even better time to become a memeber! because you get 15% OFF all accesories and 10% OFF all bikes, you pay £10 for a year (bargin in itself) and you then get all of those extras! if your getting lights you have already saved your money!

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/Article/3 ... ETING.html

Thanks for the promotion of the club but could I please make a polite request that people don't just join us for the discount, please only join VCR if you want to ride with us on a regular basis! You can all rock up on a Wednesday without being members no problem I just don't want people joining just for the discount!

Thanks.

DD.
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • @DIESELDOG, do you MTB guys go out on other regular rides such as the weekends like the roadie side of the club or is it strictly Wednesday nights only for MTB's?
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    PR, at the moment for MTB it's Wednesdays only with road on Saturday, (choice of a training ride or gentle pootle) and the road run on Sunday. If anyone wants to organise something for MTB on any other day feel free! Speak to Paul as I don't ride with the club, just married to the idiot who started it all!

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • PR/Anyone. Are you doing any night rides at the mo, I've managed to dig out my Lumicycles and I'm getting up to Wakerley once a week. I'm also doing a Tixover-Duddington-Fineshade-Wakerley loop that's fun (if a bit muddy). Although last two weekends some trails are best not used as shoots are taking place

Cheers
    Jimbo
  • Hi Jimbo,

My Lumicycles are in full working order and just need the dust blowing off if you want to get together some time. I know your Tixover-Duddington-Fineshade-Wakerley route and i'm pretty good around Wakerley Woods as well.
    Can't do this weekend as i'm committed to going up to Lee and Cragg Quarry but if you want a night ride next week or a spin out next weekend then give me some suggested dates and times.
  • Hi all
    I am based in Peterborough too and mainly get out early mornings on my own on Sat and Sun about 8ish
    Normally I do a loop of ferry meadows abour 15 miles
    http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/ixchKu40-a4
    just stated trying some bridelways around Marholm and Castor
    I hope to try Wakerly woods for the first time on saturday and I am off with the family on sunday to Sherwood.
    If your local and would like to meet up to share routes let me know
    Cheers
    Con
  • fearnsy
    fearnsy Posts: 278
    Hi all, me and my mates, we're about 16, ride bourne woods every saturday, we know it pretty well so if anyone needs a hand just ask
    Trek 930 singletrack 06-08
    Pinnacle Peak 2.0 08-10
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate 11-
  • I'm interested in learning some new trails around the Northants/ Cambs area, have not tried Wakerly yet- if anyone has any previous experience of it?. :)

Chris.