Views on Sky Ride

buryoldroader
buryoldroader Posts: 2
edited September 2010 in Family & kids cycling forum
Hi all
went to the Manchester Sky Ride last weekend and it was excellent for kids, families and even 'serious riders' seemed to enjoy it. They reckon over 20,0000 turned up - which is pretty impressive for a dull, damp Sunday afternoon.

But I wondered how well they've gone down in other towns and cities - anyone got any experiences to add :?:

Also someone pointed this blog post to me which is quite interesting in terms of the Sky brand trying to 'own' cycling through Team Sky and events like Sky Ride.

http://www.skvcommunications.co.uk/skv- ... h-massive/

I agree with most of it, but not sure if hardore anti-Murdoch types will ever be seduced.

Ride Safe!

Comments

• Bit of a hard core anti-Murdoch type here, but went to the Skyride in London, and the Hovis freewheel before then. Go each year with the kids.

Great fun, albeit too many people on bikes clogging up the roads :wink:
  • planetc
    planetc Posts: 9
    if there is a few quid to be made sky will usually have a department with it's finger in the pie
  • timba1
    timba1 Posts: 2
    Loved the SkyRide....great for little kids and big kids like me!
  • We're booked in for the Birmingham one next month. Looking forward to it too.

We're also doing some of the SkyRide Local rides aswell.

We consists of me, wife and 2 boys 8&7.
  • Its a really great way to see the city (whichever one you do)
    Different start points which cater for most levels and distances so all the family can take part. Its good fun and no cars!
  • Redbridge Skyride this week. Chance to have a look round Hog Hill Centre. I don't know if people will be allowed to ride round the track though.
  • DazCr
    DazCr Posts: 32
    Apologies if I'm going slightly off-topic but has anybody got the Sky Rain Jacket through the 'Ride for Rewards' scheme and is it any good?
    Boardman HT Pro with a few mods
    Boardman Team Full Susser
    Boardman Hybrid
    A retro hardtail seemingly made of lead
  • DazCr
    ....and to answer your question, regardless of the politics I think it's great.

I signed up for the big London one but will probably blow out just due to the logistical nightmare....

I have however done 6 SkyRide Locals (including the one tomorrow at the Olympic Park - they have been a great introduction to the joys of cycling for my eldest (10) son.

I have pre-registered to be a Ride Leader next year.
    Boardman Hybrid
  • DazCr wrote:
    .I have pre-registered to be a Ride Leader next year.

There is great camaraderie among the Leaders, you'll love it. There should be even more rides next year. Hopefully more to the east of London as well.
  • DazCr
    DazCr wrote:
    .I have pre-registered to be a Ride Leader next year.

There is great camaraderie among the Leaders, you'll love it. There should be even more rides next year. Hopefully more to the east of London as well.

I did go to the Mayor of London ride in the end as my son was looking forward to it - throughly enjoyed it - got in early and got away after a couple of circuits and a moosey round the entertainment village and 3D cinema. Never did see Kelly Brook though.... :(

Mr Cellpohane, we may have met; done a few now including the Olympic Park ride which sounds roughly in your direction...got the White Bear Ride this Sunday and also got the Tamsin Trail, Along the Downs to Downe and a few others lined up.

Must say all the Leaders I've met have been jolly nice chaps with a real passion for cycling and sharing....
    Boardman Hybrid
  • DazCr wrote:
    Mr Cellpohane, we may have met; done a few now including the Olympic Park ride which sounds roughly in your direction...got the White Bear Ride this Sunday and also got the Tamsin Trail, Along the Downs to Downe and a few others lined up.

Must say all the Leaders I've met have been jolly nice chaps with a real passion for cycling and sharing....

You will definitely see me Sunday at the White Bear. Nice little ride only 9 miles but spoilt by the ridiculous prices at the pub ! 40 riders, 3 of whom are called Darren :lol: You must be the one who is 33. 8) Are you not bringing you son, the youngest rider this weekend is 9. Last time I did it, the youngest rider beat his dad all the way.
    I am leading the Pilgrims Way ride in the morning 20+ miles of hills :cry:
  • DazCr
    That is indeed me, look forward to meeting you. Funnily enough one of the other Darrens (Darren B) is my mate who I introduced (along with his son) to SkyRide recently...!!

I didn't put my son down for this one as I was concerned it might be hilly.....he is riding a fairly light MTB - do you think he would be OK and is it too late to register him? He is not a keen racer (nor am I for that matter!!)
    Boardman Hybrid
  • It starts with a steep hill up, gets fairly flat in the middle. There is a loop at the far end so it depends which way the leader takes the ride. I prefer longer ride to the pub which is downhill, then a short rise after the pub. There is then the long flat bit again and a very steep down hill to the end.
    This is not a race - heaven forbid everyone overtook me last Sunday on the hills :cry:

PM me if you want any further info - I'm off to bed