Mmmbop v's steel?

clint29
clint29 Posts: 224
edited August 2010 in MTB general
I have noticed quite a few people have or are considering switching from steel to aluminium due to the CRC sale, can i ask why? Not so long ago everyone wanted a long travel steel hardtail ie Cotic, On one and Ns. So why switch?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Good question.

The MMMbop is very light for the fork and intended riding. 2lbs lighter than a 456. That is a very good reason.

But you cannot pigeon hole all steel and alu feeling the same. They don't.
  • clint29
    clint29 Posts: 224
    supersonic wrote:
    Good question.

The MMMbop is very light for the fork and intended riding. 2lbs lighter than a 456. That is a very good reason.

But you cannot pigeon hole all steel and alu feeling the same. They don't.
    I agree the poll probably asks the wrong question. Is it just a case of people buying what the magazines recommend or the masses are buying?
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    i've got a steel frame i'm very happy with and i still very nearly stumped up the readies to get an mmmbop - and i've ridden one and preferred other rides. so price. at that price it's a cracking value deal for what it offers
  • supersonic wrote:

I think that sums it up. I'd like a steel frame but tempted on the Mmmbop myself, purely for the weight saving.

I can understand the OPs confusion though. Comments of, Oh, it just soaks up trail buzz, it's like full suss without suss, have suddenly been replaced by man, it's so stiff. responsive!. I have to admit, I've raised an eyebrow or two over the past few days myself.
  • blister pus
    whoever said an mmmbop soaks up trail buzz and compares it to a full suspension bike clearly hasn't ridden one or has a limited experience of riding different builds. it's an extremely stiff (harsh) ride (even compared to a blue pig) that excels at taking a hammering down hill, very precise technical stuff and good at climbing with the fork still extended.
  • whoever said an mmmbop soaks up trail buzz and compares it to a full suspension bike clearly hasn't ridden one or has a limited experience of riding different builds. it's an extremely stiff (harsh) ride (even compared to a blue pig) that excels at taking a hammering down hill, very precise technical stuff and good at climbing with the fork still extended.

You misunderstand me. I was referring to comments on steel frames that you continually see on the forums, in comparison to the sudden shift in thinking when everyone's suddenly into the Mmmbop.
  • blister pus
    ah right. example, my Sirius 853 is outstanding at absorbing trail buzz - in fact it's the overriding factor as to why i like it and i'm keeping it. no FS comparison here, HT and FS are just too different to me. mmmbop at that price is worth a punt of anyone's money so i'm not surprised to see people bend and snap like twigs :lol:
  • I'm getting one simply because of the outstanding value and generally positive reviews, to complement current steel ht and fs bikes.

My natural inclination was to look for a LT steel frame, so had been looking at frames such as Evil Sovereign, NS Surge, Dialled Alpine, Chromag etc.

Building it up with Pikes and SLX kit, going to ride it for a year and then decide whether any need to change the frame.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It's not the material, it's the purpose... Mine might replace my Soul, if I like it enough, but then I only went with the steel Soul in the first place because it rides so brilliantly, I couldn't really care less what it's made of. If there was an aluminium Soul there's a reasonable chance I'd have bought that. I was already considering an Mmmbop so I've just taken advantage of the silly price.

Now, i feel like it'd be nice to have the slackness of the Mmmbop because the Soul just doesn't get ridden all that much, really only for XC bashing. And the Blue Pig has the same geometry but is a bit of an anchor.

But I'm not sure many people here are doing the steel vs alloy thing, just standard GAS.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Well, those on here who know me, know that I was already considering a few different frames before CRC put the sale on.

I don't really care about trail buzz and all that. For me, having ridden the 456 (which I bought because it was cheap and gets good reviews) for a while, I knew I wanted something slacker, lighter, and bigger, able to take a joplin seatpost.

The Mmmbop ticked all the boxes I wanted, and I was GOING to buy it maybe next month. But CRC kindly moved my plans forward :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They're all buying the wrong thing anwyay. They should be buying full sussers. But they're too poor.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    They're all buying the wrong thing anwyay. They should be buying full sussers. But they're too poor.

Especially those of us who already have full sussers- but then we're only poor because full sussers are too expensive :wink:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic wrote:
    pigeon

I would like to have a go on that.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Well yeah. You're poor BECAUSE you've bought a full susser, obviously.