problem with my daugters bike.

1goodlife1
1goodlife1 Posts: 2
I bought my daughter a 24" mountain bike from Halfords for Xmas and have just come back from 2 weeks in France with the family where we did a lot of cycling. She is 12 and kept moaning that it was really hard to cycle. I tired her bike and rides ok but seems to be very hard work.

When you cycle it is not too bad, but if you sit down and free wheel it slows down really quickly. If you stand this does not happen. Does anyone know why this should be and can it be fixed?It has full suspension and I wonder if something is not working right.

:?:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it could be many things.

work you way through and see what is going wrong.

Or take it to a bike shop.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bobs bikes
    bobs bikes Posts: 589
    first thing to check is the rear brake blocks and tyre pressure. if you sit on the bike the weight is shifted to the rear, putting more pressure on the rear wheel, spreading the tyre. could be rubbing on the blocks.drop the blocks down from the tyre to test.

the rear brake cable may run under the pivot point of the rear swingarm. by sitting down it may stretch and apply the brake.... its a long shot, but i have known it happen!

hope this is a good start.
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    Unless you spent rather a lot of money, a 24" FS mtb is going to be heavy and hard work anyway for a 12 year old, even if there's nothing wrong with it.

However, Bobs bikes' suggestion is good. You need to look at the whole rear wheel/brake/drivetrain set-up or, as another poster said, take it to a bike shop if you don't feel sufficiently knowledgeable yourself.

Or even take it back to Halfords?
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Kid's 24" mountain bike = generic knobbly tyres = high rolling resistance = hard to ride and quick to slow down. Swap the tyres for road slicks, unless she is intending to do any serious off-road riding.

Pick each wheel off the ground and spin it. If they don't slow at an abnormal rate then it must be the tyres.

For road use, lock out what suspension you can. Much energy is wasted on flexing the suspension unnecessarily.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.