Blinging winter wheels

giant_man
giant_man Posts: 6,878
edited August 2010 in Road buying advice
Starting to think about winter bike and new wheels. Already running DA but need some new wheels.

Chris King R45 hubs are the hubs I've got in mind (yes I do realise the cost) and probably DT stainless spokes, but which rims really I need help with. Could go with Open Pros but are there any better and, as tough if not tougher, rims apart from these? Cost doesn't really come into it.Need to be bulletproof but still not over the top weight wise. thanks.

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    OP ceramics

I have run them through winter and they were excellent. Standard alu rims just get destroyed if you genuinely ride in all weathers, a lot.

I think you either go ceramics or cheap rims and replace them when they fail.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Open Pro ceramics have suffered with production problems these last few years. The coating on my pair have started flaking off - loads of comments about this problem on weightweenies too

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... =3&t=67477
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • giant_man
    I don't want rims I have to tend to very much quite honestly. Fit and forget to some extent. Just bloody tough, light and last ages ....
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Winter wheels:

Rims? Planet X Model B
    Hubs? Planet X Model B
    Spokes? Planet X Model B

£99.00 from er ................. Planet X

Hope that helps. :)
  • giant_man
    Got a pair already mate. Not that tough, and not very bling, thanks anyways .....
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Try a pair of IRD Niobium ROAD and VSR rims
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    Forum favourite Derek from Wheelsmith is not an advocate of using IRD rims in winter. That's like gospel.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If they're winter wheels - they wont be that blingy after a week or so ?
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    If you want bling...

Ambrosio Excellence have historically come in various funky anodised colours (I've seen natty red, and blue ones) and pop up on ebay occasionally. As light as an Open Pro and a nicer rim IMO. (I have a set of each).

Or, less bling but more tough, while not silly heavy and cheap to boot, is something like an Ambrosio Excursion or Rigida Chrina, both around the 510g mark and solid. I had a pair of Excursions, which survived all kinds of abuse without needed attention, including loaded pothole stikes. And, as it happens, I was so chuffed with my Excursions I'm literally just building up a new set of winter wheels, Chrinas on Veloce hubs which I expect will be similarly bombproof....
  • giant_man
    Thanks huuregeil, I did think about Ambrosio rims, Evolution or Excellence must admit. I'm after a chunkier wheel (for use with 25 tyres) I guess as opposed to narrow-rimmed.

The Rigida are intriguing, how would you say they compare to Open Pros?
  • huuregeil
    The Evolution is basically the same extrusion as the Excursion but with machined rims. As such, it cost a little more and weighs a little less, because you get less metal, how's that for value :-)

Rigida. I'll let you know! The rims are in the post due to arrive tomorrow and I'll be building them up at the weekend. I know someone who rates them highly, and they get good rep on the CTC boards. To be honest, they look almost identical to the Excursions, same kind of profile, same kind of weight. I went for them over and above the excursions because of cost and wanting to try something new.
  • giant_man
    Nice to see some weights and pics when you have the wheels huuregeil .....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Interested to see what you go for giant mancp.

I've been running Open Pros in all weathers for the last two winters and they have been flawless, however my mileage isn't that high compared to those who commute every day.

If I was building up a genuine winter bike now it would be a cross with disc brakes and mudguards.
  • giant_man
    The well regarded OPs would be my natural choice for a winter wheel but curious to see what's out there for a lighter and tougher wheel, you know?
  • huuregeil
    Nice to see some weights and pics when you have the wheels huuregeil .....

I'll photograph and weigh the build. Watch this space!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The well regarded OPs would be my natural choice for a winter wheel but curious to see what's out there for a lighter and tougher wheel, you know?

Yeah, OPs are so common that most places only stock these rather than anything else! Would be good to know there are other, better options out there.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've got Rigida Chrinas on tiagra hubs, for commuting, tough as old boots. they're not perfectly round though but thats more down to the build than the rims I need to true them but haven't got the time but they haven't got any worse, and they look pretty too.

Haven't weighed them but as it's for the commuter I'm not really bothered.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • giant_man
    Rigida Chrinas are on my list to investigate further have to say, as are Ambrosio Excellence, Velocity also .......
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    TBF I think the chrina are more open sport level. I'm sure they're pinned and I don't think they're that light. I got them because they were cheap as chippy chips.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • giant_man
    Thanks for the link, interesting stuff I just want something that is going to last and looks good ...
  • huuregeil
    Yeah, open sports also fall into that category. For me, winter equal cheap (cos grit is blind) and tough (being stranded in the dark and cold is not my idea of fun!).

For something different... how about Hope hubs, cos they're strong like Chris Kings but british, paired with DT 1.2/RR585s. Not the lightest rims, but they look superb and are meant to be of excellent quality - I've long lusted after a pair but have never got round to it. Definitely bling, definitely not the cheapest wheels, but will be tough and stiff.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I've got the Velocity rims and rate them pretty highly. I got them from 53-12 in Colchester, if you know it. They're built up on record hubs, which are personal faves of mine, but obviously not on your shortlist! I've not had a full winter on them yet, but I can't see that they would let me down. Prefer these wheels to my Fulcrum zeroes to be honest.
  • giant_man
    Interesting APIII did you get them built up at 5312 or build them yourself, and what about spoke choice, ooh and what kind of weight are they? thanks
  • Yeah which Velocity rims are they?
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    The build was aerohead rim, DT comps, record hubs. All in black, very stealthy. They were built at 53-12, the wheelbuilder there has been doing it for 50+ years apparently. Build quality is as good or better than the set I got from 'Derek'. I think the weight was around 1650g, but can't remember for sure. That's not a concern for me though, they feel as good as anything else I've ridden (perhaps with the exception of lightweights :lol: )
  • giant_man
    That kind of weight doesn't sound too bad actually. The record hub being in the region of 230g and the CK being 215g apparently.

Be keen to hear how they wear in the long term.
  • huuregeil
    All the bits arrived, kitchen scales whipped out:

Chrina rims - 522g + 514g
    Veloce front - 168g
    Veloce rear - 312g
    72 spokes - 540g

So, total build is going to be in the region of 2050g. Fine, this wasn't meant to be a WW build rather a tough and cheap wheel - parts cost, (what with some cunning purchasing!) came to just over £90. Sub in nicer hubs and 32h rims (I got 36h because I got a deal on the hubs) and you'll save maybe 200g.

The chrina's look very nicely finished.

Now, where's my spoke key... :-)
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Can't really see why you want expensive wheels to suffer the winter but Mavic have their new 2011 range featured on www.velonews.com

Specific tyres and a special brake surface coating should mean you can be first with some new £££ kit
    M.Rushton
  • Open pros are now only available in 32's - so if either want 28 front or, like me, have worn out the rims, and need something to fit onto a 28 dt240 hub, then you're looking at something other than ops

I've gone for excellights

We'll see how they compare :)