Creaking Isaac Frame

dieselgeezer
dieselgeezer Posts: 231
edited August 2010 in Workshop
Hi All,
Can anyone shed any light on the following problem with an Isaac Impulse carbo frame 2007 vintage & owned from new. On the downward pedal stroke on the chainset side there is a creaking/cracking noise every pedal rev. I've done absolutely everything to cure this, changing/substituting all components, greasing cable stops, front mech mounts, BB cable guides etc.
I know that creaks can resonate through the frame but I'm now fairly conviced that there may be an issue with the bonding between the BB shell & the frame or where the aluminium drop-outs are bonded to the ends of the chainstays & seat stays.
Does anyone have any experience of this problem & possibly help me out?

Many thanks
-- "I am but a spoke in the wheel of life" -- Ghandi

Comments

• I had the same sort of issue. It was the carbon seatpost hitting the carbon frame when it slightly flexed during the downstroke. Bit of carbon lube on the seat post....problem solved....try that..
    2007 Trek 1000T
    2010 Cervelo RS
    2010 Trek EX5
  • dieselgeezer
    Hi Apollo,
    It still creaks without the seatpost in the frame!
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    are your qr's tight enough?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • dieselgeezer
    Yup, tried various skewers at varying tightness/looseness, tried oiling them, tried different wheels , still the creak. The reason I think it's the BB shell is because I think I've tried everthing else.
    (Sunny Birkenhead eh! Used to be a Tranmere lad but left in 1969. Still a scouser at heart!)
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Yup, tried various skewers at varying tightness/looseness, tried oiling them, tried different wheels , still the creak. The reason I think it's the BB shell is because I think I've tried everthing else.
    (Sunny Birkenhead eh! Used to be a Tranmere lad but left in 1969. Still a scouser at heart!)

i,m stumped then, sorry!

im in tranmere
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • An update. The creak has GONE!
    A guy on the weightweenies forum suggested it was the interface between the frame & the replaceable rear mech hanger. Took it apart, greased the frame & hanger, Threadlocked the 2 small bolts....creak/crack gone.
    The joys of a quiet bike.
    Thanks for all of your suggestions.
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    That's how I got rid of the creak on my Impulse earlier this year. I reckon the rear mech hangers are not terribly well formed. You'll probably find it will start to creak again after a month or so (depends how often you ride).

I gave the interface between dropout/hanger a good smear of gasket compound (which stays jelly-like and resists water ingress) before I put the mech hanger back on. Been good as gold since. You can buy small tubes online or from a decent car supply store for a few quid.

FWIW Isaacs have big tubes, which I reckon amplify some of the creaks that you normally get on a bike. Lovely bikes to ride but can be a bit noisy.
  • Thanks for that pinkbikini,
    Today's rain washed out the grease & the creak started again. Have done what you said re gasket goo (amazing what you keep in your shed!). Will see how long it lasts. Never had these issues in the good old days of 753.