Replacing worn/corroded/rubbish mechanical disc

danowat
danowat Posts: 2,877
edited August 2010 in The workshop
Hi all,

I have noticed the rear promax mechanical disc on my hybrid is becoming a bit cruddy, due to wear / corrosion, doesn't return very well, which makes it bind a bit.

I have noticed that Halfords do a "bikehut performance hydralic" rear disc set for £60, would this be a good replacement?, if not, can anyone suggest something else at a reasonable price.

I'd like to stick with discs if possible.

Comments

• nigglenoo
    nigglenoo Posts: 177
    danowat wrote:
    Hi all,

I have noticed the rear promax mechanical disc on my hybrid is becoming a bit cruddy, due to wear / corrosion, doesn't return very well, which makes it bind a bit.

I have noticed that Halfords do a "bikehut performance hydralic" rear disc set for £60, would this be a good replacement?, if not, can anyone suggest something else at a reasonable price.

Why the preference for discs? If its about not wearing your rims out then how about a drum or Shimano roller brake? Once fitted they would last the life of the bike with little or no maintenance and have perfectly adequate performance for the rear, but having said that there are various difficulties with getting the right hub for your gear system, presumably derailleur and if so is it 7,8 or more speeds, freewheel or cassette?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Bikehut ones are formula and top notch stuff at that price, howeve look at CRC and you'll find some good offers right now, they were doing Deore hydraulic setups for £40.

Alternatively get a decent cable set, get one, stick it on the front and swap the current front to rear, although my youngest has promax and thay are fine.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    nigglenoo wrote:
    danowat wrote:
    Hi all,

Why the preference for discs? If its about not wearing your rims out then how about a drum or Shimano roller brake? Once fitted they would last the life of the bike with little or no maintenance and have perfectly adequate performance for the rear, but having said that there are various difficulties with getting the right hub for your gear system, presumably derailleur and if so is it 7,8 or more speeds, freewheel or cassette?

well nice idea but the OP will need whole new wheel, difficult within the £60 budget
    <a>road</a>
  • flateric
    flateric Posts: 201
    I put shimano deore hydraulic on my bike years ago, replaced promax set up. Never needed to touch them since, oh and it was a straight forward to DIY with good instructions.

Would recommend a set !!!
    Bike one Dawes Acoma (heavily modified)
    Bike two (trek) Lemond Etape (dusty and not ridden much)
    Bike Three Claude Butler chinook, (freebee from
    Freecycle, Being stripped and rebuilt
    (is 3 too many bikes)
  • Have you tried cleaning it??
    Disconnect the cable and see if the return on the pad improves.
    If it does then the lack of return is due to friction between the inner cable and outer sheath.
    £7 will get you a cable oiler from Hein Gericke and blast your favorite lube straight down it.
    This will also help the other cables on the bike especially the gears and give more longevity.
    clean the disc up as long as its not worn thin.

Failing that try the below £45 for a rear Magura Julie !

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BCMGJU/magu ... disc-brake