Crankshaft Length should I use

Kevin OB
Kevin OB Posts: 6
edited August 2010 in Road beginners
New to cycling I am 5'5" What Length should I Be Using, my inside seam is 27' I am on a 170 which came with the groupset should I be using a 165 ?? I have read different views on this.I think common sence says shorter leg shorter crank but everyone is not them same any comments on this please.

Comments

• sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Kevin OB wrote:
    New to cycling I am 5'5" What Length should I Be Using, my inside seam is 27' I am on a 170 which came with the groupset should I be using a 165 ?? I have read different views on this.I think common sence says shorter leg shorter crank but everyone is not them same any comments on this please.

Stick with the 170's, wont make a blind bit of difference going to 165 or using the 170's other than to your wallet.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I agree with sheffsimon, stick with the 170s for now until your body tells you otherwise. You could also read this excellent article, which shows that a lot of science could be applied before it all boils down to a subjective decision any way:

http://bikedynamics.co.uk/FitGuidecranks.htm

There are quite a few other threads on crank length that make interesting reading but seem to draw the same conclusion.
  • Stellite
    Stellite Posts: 544
    Im 6ft and ride a 165 on my single speed and 172.5 on my road bikes, and I dont worry about it.

If you are worried then go for a bike which will give you the info to set your bike up properly.
  • Thanks Gents Saved me a few £ was going to order a 165 this morning cheers again
  • I'm also about 5ft 6" with 28" inseam leg.
    I had lots of trouble with pain in my hip, right thigh and knee when using 170 cranks so switched to 165. It was the best thing i ever did. No pain at all now.
    Unless you having any similar problems, stick with 170 and save your cash.