What kind of paint do i use for my frame?

evernas
evernas Posts: 43
edited August 2010 in MTB general
Hi.thinking to get my frame painted but i've none idea how and what paint do i need(no spray i guess)?any help? :D
Note; The Term "Mountain Bike" Is Incorrectly Used By Marketing People To Sell More Bikes To The General Public.

Comments

• stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    Not sure this is much help but painting yourself nearly always look pretty poor IMHO

Most people will have a decent (vehicle) sprayer near them who will do a top job (sandblast and respreay) from about £80.

Is it a rough / pub bike or one you intend to keep?
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Stripey Paint :p

Yeah a vehicle sprayer is useful. If I were you I'd get it done professionally. Much safer and probably a better finish
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    it has to be sprayed or powdercoated, brush work always looks crap.

best to get it done pro really.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • evernas
    evernas Posts: 43
    Thank you.i'm not going to do this myself-my cosine is profi-car painter.Any toughts about some paint brands of or if frame should be treated with primer and other stuffs beforehand?thanks once more
    Note; The Term "Mountain Bike" Is Incorrectly Used By Marketing People To Sell More Bikes To The General Public.
  • thedirge
    thedirge Posts: 181
    take a look at powder coating mate, very durable coating and looks nice.
    Consequences.... are just a harmless by-product of having a good time, all the time.

Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Powder coating.

If not, spray paint. Use good quality stuff like Plastikote or Hammerite. You'll need primer, paint and laquer - and obviously paint stripper (Nitromors) or sandpaper, masking tape etc.

Start stripping the frame, I use Nitromors which is loads faster than sandpaper. Once most paint is removed give it a quick once over with sandpaper, and then clean with mild soap, and leave to completely dry.

Mask over any holes ie. BB, seattube, headtube

Now priming. Do 6-8 even THIN coats, not 2 thick ones that will run. Leave to dry 15-20 mins between each coat (depending on paint). Then give it a whole day in the sun to completely dry.

Painting. Again, 4-8 even thin coats, depending on color you may need more coats to cover up the primer. Leave to dry 15-20 mins between coats, then atleast 1 week to completely dry.

Clear coat/laquer. Apply 1-3 coats then leaving to completely dry - if you're not applying decals, let if dry ideally for 2 weeks but can be less if you want to risk it. If you are applying decals, put them ontop over the 1-3 coats or clear coat, and then cover with another 2 and leave to dry.

Here's mine that I sprayed:

Sanding
    p4pb4872518.jpg

Priming
    p4pb4897029.jpg

Painting
    p4pb4905819.jpg

Decals/clear coat/finished
    p4pb4990996.jpg
    p4pb4990992.jpg
    p4pb5446261.jpg

Hope that helps :P [/img]
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    read the info in the tech links sticky in the tech section.

and doing it yourself will cost more than paying to get it powder coated.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    nicklouse wrote:
    read the info in the tech links sticky in the tech section.

and doing it yourself will cost more than paying to get it powder coated.

Where can you get a frame sandblasted and powdercoated for £20?