Why am I feeling so knackered?

JonEdwards
JonEdwards Posts: 452
edited August 2010 in Training, fitness and health
So. I was feeling reasonably good 3+ weeks ago. Legs felt strong, plenty of energy.

I then went on a 2 week mountain bike holiday in the Alps - first week was fairly brutal (practice and qualifying for a DH race), second week was just riding great singletrack in great surroundings. Very little in the way of pedalling done, but a good upper body workout all the same. Riding really well. Had a lot of fun.

Since I've come back, I've felt like utter sh!te. I'd expect the first couple of days of commutingto be a little rough until I got used to pedalling again, but I just feel constantly lethargic and my legs have no spring to them. The 10mile a day commute has been drudgery, I had a day off on Saturday, managed a decent 6hr xc ride on Sunday, but I'm still feeling that now. Went out early this morning for a Richmond Park road blat and was way off my normal pace. I was also very groggy when I got out of bed for much longer than normal.

I'm eating normally, stretching as usual, although my legs still feel really tight. Work is unusually quiet at the moment, so I'm a bit bored there which won't be helping. Guts seem to be out too - quite windy! All I want to do when i get home is collapse on the sofa and doze. I'm not sleeping especially well thanks to the stickiness of the current weather (not too bad though), but I should be used to that as work often leaves me with very random sleep patterns.

Any ideas? This is really not my usual behaviour...!

Cheers,

Jon

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    Effects of altitude? :? Or possibly just a bug you picked up over there?
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    A bug would be my guess.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Lack of recovery, if you are not sleeping good, your recovery won't be good. Just take a few days of very easy commutes, and you will probably get sorted out. If you keep hammering away you will only likely get worse.
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    I rode the Cingles du Mont Ventoux about 4 weeks ago, came back for a couple of weeks then went back out for a few days in Bourg St Maurice, riding the Iseran, Cormet de Roselend, Col du Pre, Petit St Bernard etc.

Now I'm back, and I am really struggling with motivation to ride my everyday rides, that felt great to ride before I went.

I get this everytime I have a stunning ride in inspiring surroundings abroad. Once back I think that it is easy to focus on being tired, when before you would have just ignored it and gone out.

A few weeks on and it all fades away and the motivation is a bit easier to come by.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    Fairly obvious answer: your body is tired- rest it.
  • da goose
    da goose Posts: 284
    Make sure food/vitamins/minerals are all topped up especialy magnesium.
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    edited August 2010
    59 days of big brother with hardly any sleep
    going downhill slowly
  • sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    Try getting shitfaced, always helps with the sleep.
    I like white bikes