Whats your transport?

rieko
rieko Posts: 121
edited August 2010 in MTB general
How do you get your bike(s) to a distant trail or comp? By Van, 4x4, rack or your fiat punto?

Im using a single bike rack at the moment strapped to the back of my Golf. If I take two bikes, its one in the boot whil the front wheel off and one on the rack. How do you move yours?
Giant TCR
Giant TCX

Comments

• Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Volvo estate. Thought about a van but the Volv is massive while still a comfy car. Two racks on the roof but usually use the boot
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    By virtue of my mate Chris who has an Octavia with a 3-bike roofrack :lol: He is a fine gentleman. Or alternatively my mate Andrew whose Mazda 323 is surprisingly vast and can accomodate 2 bikes without too much dismantling, albeit in a big heap.

Failing that I use my own Focus estate, which I could live in the boot of if the urge took me, it'll take 2 bikes complete without so much as taking a wheel off, or 5 if you take the wheels off and stack them upside down. Though fitting the 5 riders in would be harder. It's a good bike hauler though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    when using the car

ready003.jpg

or in the back.

when using the van either in the van or on a Thule towbar mounted rack.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pte1643
    pte1643 Posts: 518
    2 x bikes in back of car... Seats down, front wheels off.
  • Steve_F wrote:
    Volvo estate. Thought about a van but the Volv is massive while still a comfy car. Two racks on the roof but usually use the boot

Same here. I don't have a Volvo but it's a similar size. Thought about a van but I enjoy driving and came to the conclusion that a van would soon become tiresome, despite the convenience. The car's great, throw the bike in the back and there's still plenty of room to spare, while I sit in comfort up front. And it does 150mph, or so I'm told, which will be handy if I need to get somewhere very quickly :D
  • Honda CRV

Thule quick release roof bars. Currently got 2 x 591 racks. It can take 3 mtb or 4 road at a push on top

+ towbar with thule 3 bike rack on back.

Room for plenty of gear in the back. And a wetwell under the boot floor for wet gear.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    train or in a ford galaxy
  • Bike bag inside my car, wheels and bars off - all zipped up and no bike goo gets on my car.

Also have a thule towbar mount (the type the bikes are stood upright on a base) - I only use this when I'm taking more than one bike though, because it is the heaviest most awkward shaped thing to lift and load on to the towbar ever :evil:
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    pte1643 wrote:

This.

Except on nights like tonight when I put my Vitamin commuter in also. Old Almera's are tardises :D
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    On the roof with a Thule 591..
    I can get my bike down and ready to go (fit computer and saddlebag) quicker than it takes most people to get their partly or or fully dismantled bikes out of back of their hatchbacks.
    By time they have put their wheel/s on, I am off and riding..
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    MK5 VW golf with roof rack and thule 591 proride bike carrier
  • If car (picasso) then seats down and f wheel off.
    More often than not though it's on the bike rack of my motorhome. Vantage Max RL, Peugeot boxer conversion. Accomodation, changing/shower facilities, catering etc. all taken care of :D
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    Picked up a cheap 406 estate....moon size boot / back :D
    Honestly, its so much less hassle than the boot rack with ties everywhere which my mrs or brother use on their hatchbacks. I love it. Secure if you need to go away as you can just lock up nd leave the bikes inside
  • LeighM
    LeighM Posts: 156
    I use my girlfriends Land Rover Freelander, seats down and front wheel off. Thought about a roof rack but I don't think it'd be low enough to get my bike on or off.

Thought about a roof rack for my BMW 320 but until she gets sick of dried mud on the drivers seat when I forget to cover it, I'll keep using the Freelander.
    2014 Trek Madone 4.7 | 2009 Trek Fuel EX7 | Planet X Pro Carbon Track Elite
    TrainerRoad
    Strava
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Train. Or if I can convince my parents to go for a long walk with the dog, a Toyota Emina.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    With a trusty Saris Bones....either on my Signum or my Ibiza FR...great racks, super strong and fits almost anything...
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    Two Thule 591 roof mounted carriers on a people carrier. Plenty of room for all the crap and the bikes can go in if you need to leave the car & bikes and make it less likely they get nicked.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pte1643 wrote:
    Don't see the point in that. How do you steer it?

I just take the front wheels off the bikes.
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • gbrnole
    gbrnole Posts: 395
    08 STI - Thule rack and 591 bike carrier, it was a condition of buying the car that it had to fit in the back, I only got the rack as putting a filthy bike in a new car sucked!
    Ibis Mojo SL-r
  • Razer_MTB
    Razer_MTB Posts: 361
    when i still had the a6 (saloon) i just chucked a cheap bike rack on the back of it. But i've just bought a honda accord estate, so will be be chucking the bike in the back of that
    whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    '05 Seat Ibiza FR 1.9 TDi & Seat roof bars with Thule 591's

2628283147_382b71c1ab.jpg

Shame the Scooby behind it isn't mine
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    Lots of room for me and my bike in my Zara Picaso, I have no friends :cry:
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    I now own the family dump wagon of a passat estate - so no problem fitting bikes in. But no fun :(
  • Paul 135
    Paul 135 Posts: 92
    me and my two mates managed to a norco fluid, kona coilair supreme AND a norco atomik plus all three riders and kit into a 3 door rover 200!!!!!
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Roof rack, Thule 591, lots of care...

car.jpg
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    estates are THE way forward, currenlty an old laguna, 1 or 2 bikes in the back without having to take wheels off with 1 or 2 humans in the front, or up to 5 bikes on top/in boot and 5 humans inside.

XC70 is my ideal motor though, hopefully get that when laguna dies.
  • floosy
    floosy Posts: 270
    Front wheel off the bike. Seats down in a corsa....
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    audi a4 avant with a thule rack and some 530 holders
    i don't use the fairing any more as it marked the roof, which makes me very angry!

26496_10150149854695541_812145540_11877998_7978967_n.jpg

can get three on the top no worries
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Front wheel off and chucked in the back of the clio, then anymore bikes that go in there have to have both wheels taken off. So far i've managed to get 3 bikes in there, slightly pointless as it only leaves room for 2 riders :lol:

Anyway getting insured on teh golf estate soon :D
  • bentes
    bentes Posts: 286
    welshkev wrote:
    MK5 VW golf with roof rack and thule 591 proride bike carrier

Hi!

I also have that setup but ran into problems when it caused a water leak on the front door where the door rubber sealant contact the bars "feet".

Does it happen in your? Did you use the transparent stickers to protect the cars roof from the bars feet? I was told not to because it would get yellow with the sun... I think I was misled...