What pressure for tubs in TT's ?

andy_wrx
andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
edited August 2010 in Amateur race
I've just got some Cosmic Carbones and fitted Conti Podium 19mm tubs to them.

Conti's diagrammatic fitting instructions sheet says 145psi, but I'm not sure if that's simply the pressure they're saying to inflate them to while the glue sets or is the pressure they're recommending you ride them at.

Certainly there's no table suggesting pressure you should run them at vs. your weight, etc like you get on the back of a Michelin packet, and I can't find anything on Conti's website either.

I did a Cheshire TT at the weekend and they felt great on the smooth sections but were bumpy as hell on on the not-smooth sections, so much so that they loosened the headset !

I guess it's a trade-off between rolling resistance, grip, comfort, etc but what pressures do people use ?
- I'm ca 72kg and had no grip/sliding issues but probably lost a tiny little bit of time as I eased-off over the very bumpy bits.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think 145 is way too much - as you say - you're bumping all over the place. Its probably going to be trial and error. I run 90-95 in tyres and about 110 in my Conti tubs.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    cougie wrote:
    I think 145 is way too much - as you say - you're bumping all over the place. Its probably going to be trial and error. I run 90-95 in tyres and about 110 in my Conti tubs.

I run mine at 140. They are rated up to 220 I think!

I find anything under 120 way too spongy. And have never 'bounced around' on rough road. But I'm also kinda fat. ;)
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    I weigh in around the same as you and run my tubs at around 120 on the back and 110-115 psi on the front, When I first started using them for racing a few years back, I did what you have done and ran them at high pressure. No need to.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    A variety of opinions then :)

I s'pose I can have a trial on the Weds night club events - let em down a bit and see what difference it makes
    - trying it in training won't work, I never go hard enough unless someone's waving a watch at me :lol:

thanks
  • tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    140+
    dont be afraid to put more in
    they can easily handle it
    the more air, the less rolling resistance

19mm tyres require much more pressure than say 23mm
    the 110 - 120 psi is way too low for you to get the most out of your tyres
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    I just want to know where this smooth bit of TT road is in Cheshire?!!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    a_n_t wrote:
    I just want to know where this smooth bit of TT road is in Cheshire?!!

There's a short bit on our club 10 of about 80 metres. To be fair, our 10 is on one of the smoother stretches out there despite still having some sharp edged bomb holes.

You wouldn't have seen the smooth bit because you went the wrong way!
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I use about 130 psi, at 73kg. You don't want them too hard, as although you may not feel it, they will bounce across the imperfections of the road, rather than absorb them, and you might go slower.

Probably doesn't make a huge amount of difference in the grand scheme of things. I guess trial and error to what you think is best for you, and the condition of the course.
  • a_n_t
    NapoleonD wrote:

:lol:

Actually, thinking about it, J2/1 isnt too bad.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • Pokerface
    a_n_t wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

:lol:

Actually, thinking about it, J2/1 isnt too bad.

Last one this Wednesday!

How did you do on the 25 on the weekend?
  • a_n_t
    I never made it :(

The nipper was up every 2 hours on friday night then decided to wake up at 5am. not the best prep for a 25 so I didn't go.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • Pokerface
    a_n_t wrote:
    I never made it :(

The nipper was up every 2 hours on friday night then decided to wake up at 5am. not the best prep for a 25 so I didn't go.

Wimp. I went on an all-night bender and got an hour's sleep before getting up, puking and riding that 25 last weekend. ;)
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    tri-sexual wrote:
    140+

Not sure thats true. The british squads did testing and found that for increased air pressure rolling resistance actually increased and that was carried out indoors on lovely smooth wooden track :)
  • SBezza wrote:
    I use about 130 psi, at 73kg. You don't want them too hard, as although you may not feel it, they will bounce across the imperfections of the road, rather than absorb them, and you might go slower.

Probably doesn't make a huge amount of difference in the grand scheme of things. I guess trial and error to what you think is best for you, and the condition of the course.

+1

I'm 90kg and use 140 psi on same wheels but with fortezza tricomps. I used to race at around 90 psi - the difference is tangible, go as hard you feel comfortable with.
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    tri-sexual wrote:
    140+

Not sure thats true. The british squads did testing and found that for increased air pressure rolling resistance actually increased and that was carried out indoors on lovely smooth wooden track :)

+1

I also understand the rolling resistance of a tub can be significantly affected by how well you do or don't glue it on the rim. I have about 120 psi in my rear tub on Cheshire, which personally I think helps cope with the bobbly surface instead of just bouncing on it. I weigh around 76 Kgs
  • I used to put about 160 psi when I raced on tubs years ago.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Depends on a few factors :
    Rider weight
    Road surface
    Dry/wet

Decent dry roads for my 70kgs I'd put 120psi, super smooth maybe 15psi more, wet a touch less, rough also less : this being 110 or so.
    Harder feels 'zingier' but if the road is rough then you are bouncing vertically as opposed to the tyre deforming to the road surface and helping provide forward motion.
    I spoke to HED after having problems with my Stinger's (smaked potholes really hard and cracked rim - not a product fault), and they said that at the TdF they'd experienced tubs being inflated to 110psi or so - Tdf riders are obviously very light so that will have an influence but 150+psi on our roads is excessive.