Ladies MTB course this weekend...

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited September 2010 in Women
With Forest Freeride in mid Wales :D

This was a Christmas pressie from my OH - anyone else going on it?!!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    Sorry no.

We are off on a course near Plymouth next month- OH needs help too so I felt a bit guilty going off on a girls only course- But we are being taught by a lady!

Good luck- and let us know how it goes! :D
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • miss notax
    Will do - the only bit i'm not looking forward to is the 5 hour drive to mid Wales in Friday afternoon rush hour :shock:

Enjoy yours too :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• This was a Christmas pressie from my OH
    That is such a fantastic present - good skills that man!

I'd reallly like to do a mtb course. My nearest place is Sherwood Pines, I phoned about it earlier this year and they've just started doing courses, so that was good timing. Just need to save up some money first.

Let us know how your course goes :)
  • Best of luck with the course - I did one recently with MB7 up at Glentress. Skills courses really build my confidence and get me attacking the trails better. Because I don't ride with anyone, I never really know how I'm getting on, so courses are a good way for me to affirm my skills.

Wish I was going this weekend, but I've got to work :cry:
  • pigeon42
    pigeon42 Posts: 98
    Enjoy! Me & a friend did the same course with Forest Freeride at the beginning of December - frrrreezing cold, but excellent fun, which did no end of good for my confidence on the bike :)
    FCN 10
  • miss notax
    Thanks!!

Am feeling a bit nervous as i'll be taking my new bike which i've ridden for all of 2 days :shock: May also take the old one too just in case.... (thanks goodness for Volvo estates :wink::lol: )!

Will report back and let you all know how it went!

• gb2gw
    gb2gw Posts: 81
    Hope you enjoy it! Just out of interest - what level have you pitched yourself at/gone for?

I'm toying with the idea of going on a skills day but I don't know where to categorise my riding ability - there's seemingly basic, beginnery stuff that I can't/don't do like bunny hops over obstacles or lifting the front wheel up over stuff, but then I'm happy to ride reds and will tackle black routes and quite technical terrain.

:?
  • miss notax
    gb2gw wrote:
    Hope you enjoy it! Just out of interest - what level have you pitched yourself at/gone for?

I'm toying with the idea of going on a skills day but I don't know where to categorise my riding ability - there's seemingly basic, beginnery stuff that I can't/don't do like bunny hops over obstacles or lifting the front wheel up over stuff, but then I'm happy to ride reds and will tackle black routes and quite technical terrain.

:?

Ditto - you're riding level sounds exactly the same as mine :D

That's exactly what I told the chap that runs it (Stuart) and he seemed pretty happy with that description! If he can get me lifting the front wheel over techy stuff then I will be forever grateful!!

• gb2gw
    Good luck with it Sarah - you can be my inspiration if you nail it (sorry, WHEN you nail it!). The last time I tried bunny hops over roots in the local park I somehow managed to land funny and went over the handlebars and winded myself for the first time in my life ever.

Felt like a right twonk lying there flat on my back in the middle of this busy park unable to move with hubby gently reassuring me until I could breathe again. Haven't tried doing anything like that since!
  • miss notax
    :lol::lol::lol:

I'll let you know!!!

• kathg
    kathg Posts: 142
    Hope you enjoy it... I did one at Llandegla last week. It was brrrilliant! Had a private half day with my OH and the wonderful coach really built my confidence and got us to the stage where we now know exactly how to progress (that's what I call value for money)!.
    I was the same as you.... couldn't imagine how to get front wheel up and over stuff, bunny hopping etc Now... all good, am putting in plenty of practise and am now feeling ready to tackle big drop offs and much more challenging terrain.
    I've got an Orange 5 too and I reckon you'll love it. It took me about 5 minutes to get used to it! Best money I've spent in a long time!
    Have fun :D

Kathg
  • I have to ask...is it really scary hard to learn how to do bunny hops etc? I can't even imagine how to get the front wheel off the ground!
  • Tartanyak
    Tartanyak Posts: 1,538
    I'm sorry to butt in the women's forum, but I was bored and looking everywhere. Even the jumping forum :(

Anyway, my girlfriend learnt to bunny hop a couple of years ago. I would say I taught her, but I honestly believe she has more skill than I have on the bike. She learnt faster than I did and got better than I am. The front wheel isn't really a problem, the back wheel was for me. It wasn't for her though :) <proud>
  • The back wheel is my problem too, I can't seem to do a bunnyhop in 1 fluid motion :cry:

I'm still trying though, it's the only thing that bugs me about my riding - not being able to do a proper bunnyhop!
  • Mynameisdann
    Mynameisdann Posts: 665
    Since this has turned into a bunnyhop thread id thought id join, only ever attempted one serious bunnyhop and that was off of a curb onto a main road :s
    Decided to try and dismount the curb but bunnyhop so that both my wheels landed together instead i ended up in the central reservation with a pale face and a sore *mini me*
  • kathg
    kathg Posts: 142
    Just takes practise to be honest. The coaching and video feedback we had really showed what was happening when you did it right and wrong.
    I find it is the timing that was hardest to get right, I could lift front wheel ok and then do back wheel but putting them together one straight after the other is damn tricky!!! As for doing it right on trail when there's all the distractions of roots, trees, rocks etc weeell, more practise still needed there!
    All fun and games though, just a good thing we have nice private garden and driveway so when it all goes wrong public humiliation is not an issue :oops: !

Kathg
  • miss notax
    Brilliant weekend :D

I can definitely recommend Forest Freeride http://www.forestfreeride.co.uk/ - Stuart knows what he's doing and is very patient, with lots of different ways of explaining the same thing (so one of them is bound to make sense to you!)! I had a really good weekend and the other girls on the course were absolutely lovely :D

I would say that the course is really valuable regardless of level - there were ladies who could ride a bike but hadn't done much MTBing at all and others more experienced, but it was the same techniques and skills that could be used whether you were tackling a ride nice flowy blue trail or a more techy black. Fitness also doesn't really come into it as we were concentrating on skills, rather then riding.

I certainly learnt loads. And I can now jump, and mastered my nemesis - the dreaded front wheel lift!

• That's fantastic, sound like you had a really great time. I am not ashamed to say that I am jealous. A skills course is definitely going to be next on my things-to-save-for list.

Which bike did you use, did you get on ok with your new one?
  • miss notax
    I took both but used the Orange all weekend and i'm so pleased I did! It was a great way to get used to the new bike and because of the nature of the course it got me really used to the way the bike responded. Much better finging out in a controlled setting surrounded by nice encouraging people, that on some techy route with other MTBers on your tail!!

Would definitely recommend it - I got more out of it than I thought I would to be honest.

• gb2gw
    Oh well done you! Glad to hear you got such a lot out of it and perfected the dreaded wheel lift.

I've definately got to get myself on a course of some sort now. Wheel lifts would certainly have come in handy on some of the stuff I was riding up yesterday, although I'd very definately need to practice them in places with a potentially soft landing. Lots of pointy loose great boulders and rocks and big gradients do not make for a great place to get it wrong!!!

What else do you think he managed to fine-tune about your riding?
  • miss notax
    Hiya :D

I found it so useful that I would definitely consider doing something similar in another 6 months or so... Let me know if you think about doing one, as we seem about the same level (with the same 'grey areas') so could always join forces!

He went through controlled braking (ie braking at the right time, and braking with conviction rather than half-heartedly!), drops, jumps, front wheel lifts, slow and fast cornering, body position etc. The braking thing was also very relevant to me as - I now realise! - I panic break too late on some techy sections which increases my chance of messing them up. If I braked properly BEFORE the evil drop / jump whatever, I would be at a controlled speed for me and would be able to tackle them. Braking on techy sections is probably responsible for my recent off's (and I don't come off much!) :?

Really made me look at how I ride. Obviously I will forget all of this tomorrow night when we go for a ride with friends, and will end up on my bum as I try to demonstrate my new found jumping skills :evil:

• Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    a bunny hop is 2 pushes.
    you push to unweight the front (not lift) then push again.

:)
  • gb2gw
    Ah Jedi, yes, my husband Steve (who hangs out at STW) has bandied your name about a number of times in a 'we should go and get some training from him' kind of way :wink:

Sarah, that all sounds really good and time so well spent (did you stay overnight in their bunkhouse?) You'll definately have to come back up to the Peaks now to 'properly' try out all these new found skills :D

Would be great to join forces though, so if I can sort out saving up some spondoolies to go on one in the next few months, then I might be ready for another one in about 6-8 months time.
  • miss notax
    Yep, stayed in the bunkhouse which was good fun :D

Sounds like a plan for spring next year then!

• gb2gw
    So how have these new found skills of yours been coming on Sarah? Getting in much practice? Managing to stay upright while you were doing them?!
  • miss notax
    Hiya :D

Have been very lazy - just got back from holiday last night which involved lots of sunbathing, eating and drinking and absolutely no MTBing :lol:

We're riding tonight in the forest which should be interesting, i'm feeling more jet-lagged than anything else :?

• gb2gw
    Sounds like you had fun anyway, where did you go?

This time next week I'll hopefully be sat supping some wine on a balcony overlooking alpine scenery readying self for 6 days of mountain biking! Off to Chatel where the weather (fingers crossed) is currently looking promisingly warm and sunny.

Actually, just noticed the time. I probably won't be drinking wine at 4.40pm in the afternoon. It might more likely be a cup of tea. Wine at 6pm. (don't want you thinking I'm some kind of lush!)

Good luck with the riding tonight!
  • miss notax
    Wow, hope you have a great time on holiday next week! Sounds fab :D

Enjoy your 6pm glasses of wine :wink:

• Just been checking out that Forest Freeride, Wales and I think I'll be sending my OH on this course ....

She's only started riding about a year ago and about 6 months ago, had a nasty fall, when I say nasty, I mean the kind where you stop on a single track and fall off your bike and roll down a hill, body slamming into a tree which if you went further you would have fallen off a high edge - walked away with a few bruises and a sprained ankle .... needless to say, this shot her confidence
    -- Specialized StumpJumper FSR Comp (09) [for me] --
    -- Specialized Safire FSR Comp (09) [for the Mrs] --